Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:10 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

No offence, but when starting such threads it is better to include actual name of person. Otherwise people will start another with same "news". CD searches new posts first based upon headline title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 04:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Yes, Bless her heart, RIP Penny.
A very down to earth human being as well as a very, very talented lady!

Old 12-18-2018, 05:18 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
I always liked her, & I never even watched Laverne & Shirley, I just thought she was a very entertaining original wherever she performed.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:33 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No offence, but when starting such threads it is better to include actual name of person. Otherwise people will start another with same "news". CD searches new posts first based upon headline title.
Bugsy, I feel the title is appropriate.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:45 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:

More people likely know her as Laverne vs Penny Marshall

Same with Shirley.. I know her name, but for the life of me I can't think of it right now. Cindy Williams.. Had to look it up.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
More people likely know her as Laverne vs Penny Marshall

Same with Shirley.. I know her name, but for the life of me I can't think of it right now. Cindy Williams.. Had to look it up.
More persons know or knew of late Vivian Leigh as "Scarlett O'Hara", but never the less her obituaries listed the deceased's legal name.

One thread already was started, and subsequently moved regarding the death of "Penny Marshall". This likely was due to someone not seeing and or whatever a thread about "Laverne" being dead.

In any event like many other actors Ms. Marshall did far more than "Laverne & Shirley", especially behind the camera.

Laverne and Shirley ran from late 1970's to early 1980's; several generations have been born since who likely don't know the show but might be more familiar with some of Ms. Marshall's later accomplishments.

Personally think the film "Awakenings" was one of her best efforts. Also while she didn't star in the film, many *do* know the movie "Big".

It is like saying Ron Howard is only known as "Richie Cunningham" or worse "Opie".

Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
She was great in Happy Days. She leaves behind her legend of laughter. I've watch L&S since childhood and introduced my daughters to it. They love it.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:00 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
More persons know or knew of late Vivian Leigh as "Scarlett O'Hara", but never the less her obituaries listed the deceased's legal name.

One thread already was started, and subsequently moved regarding the death of "Penny Marshall". This likely was due to someone not seeing and or whatever a thread about "Laverne" being dead.

In any event like many other actors Ms. Marshall did far more than "Laverne & Shirley", especially behind the camera.

Laverne and Shirley ran from late 1970's to early 1980's; several generations have been born since who likely don't know the show but might be more familiar with some of Ms. Marshall's later accomplishments.

Personally think the film "Awakenings" was one of her best efforts. Also while she didn't star in the film, many *do* know the movie "Big".

It is like saying Ron Howard is only known as "Richie Cunningham" or worse "Opie".
Why is it worse for him to be known as Opie?

Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Why is it worse for him to be known as Opie?

It's not. IMO, Opie had Richie Cunningham beat by a mile--and both of those characters had Chuck Cunningham (who?) beat.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:26 AM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote from Penny Marshall:

“No matter how many movies I direct, I’ll always be Laverne.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...e6f_story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities