U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 PM

32,628 posts, read 9,643,869 times

Advertisements

...or Mom and Dad-shaming them. I'm not sure.

Apparently, something similar happened last summer, and Dean McDermott had enough. An Instagram poster responded to the photo, and commented about how they'd "let their kids get so fat," and that they looked disheveled in too-small clothing. Of course, trolls chimed in to agree. There was also a dig about shopping at Target.

Some people live their life on social media, but this just seemed to be Tori sharing a photo of her and a former castmate's family.

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/2618793002
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 AM

6,435 posts, read 6,817,153 times
Personally, I think McDermott should have ignored any comments. Sure they were "hurtful." But:
1) I bet he and Tori shield their kids from Instagram, so how would the kids, and likely any of their real friends even know about the comments. And what you don't know about -- at their age -- can't cause you shame.

((Ever see a toddler fall who wasn't hurt, and was just about to shake it off...until the parent came up and said "oh, baby, baby..you're hurt. don't cry." Uh, the kid wasn't going to cry until YOU came up making a big deal out of it. Now the kid IS crying." Stupid parenting.))

2) Dare I say -- that IF they were to know about it, it would be a "teachable moment" for the kids to know when to even think about whether another person's comments deserve any consideration -- and when to not give them the time of day...when they're so NOT important you don't even waste ANY time on them.

From childhood, as long as I can remember my parents were adamant that if a person calls you names, that says more about the kind of person the other person is.....and nothing about the kind of person you are. I was overweight as a child. And I was taught people who tease should be dismissed, and have low self esteem..... "you're better than that," .... and that their comments have no power unless you give them power.

But as I said in 1)...I doubt the kids would even know about it in the first place. It's PARENTS who make a bigger deal of it than kids. I think that's a mistake.

I know that an adult, unless you sign my paycheck and can put me out in the street (Or are family or a true friend of like 30 years whose opinion I value on other things anyway), I don't give a crap what you're opinion of me happens to be. You can go pound sand -- AND jump off a bridge!

Old 01-28-2019, 08:13 AM

2,497 posts, read 2,205,451 times
I don't blame McDermott one bit. They may have been shaming the kids but they were attacking mom and dad's parenting skills with the weight and clothing issues. It would have been best to ignore it but any of us on particular days are more thin skinned than on other days and that was probably one of his days.
People are brave behind an anonymous keyboard (the idiots making the comments about their kids).

Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 AM

8,546 posts, read 4,273,746 times
Kids are off limits. Period. Full stop. I have no use for any adult who would body shame children.

Old Today, 05:43 PM

236 posts, read 72,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Kids are off limits. Period. Full stop. I have no use for any adult who would body shame children.
Why only kids? Shouldn't it be unacceptable to body shame anyone?

On the other hand, I do have trouble understanding how people allow their child to get overweight. It's unhealthy and places them at a disadvantage amongst their peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or