U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM

9,023 posts, read 8,969,973 times

Advertisements

What characteristics should be present in actors and actresses good for Hallmark movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 12:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 968,948 times
A "wholesome" look, an unblemished reputation and, hopefully, a past successful TV series.

Imo, Melissa Gilbert epitomizes the Hallmark Channel actress.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:35 PM

9,068 posts, read 16,101,020 times
A healthy dose of milquetoast.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 PM

Cute and perky women and clean-cut, laid back men. The kind you used to find modeling for Sears and JC Penney catalogs. No edgy types need apply.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Awy5IdbkP8s

Old 01-29-2019, 07:24 AM

95 posts, read 17,100 times
Fair Warning: I am Mr. Hallmark! I love (most) everything Hallmark and while I realize that Hallmark isn't actually perfect, compared to the rest of Hollywood and what it produces... they're doggone close!

I'm also incredibly fussy and particular about what I watch. I got rid of my TV in the 90's because I got tired of having sex, violence and vulgar language shoved down my throat while paying for the privilege. I wouldn't dump a box of trash in the middle of my living room and I'm certainly not going to let Hollywood do it! I haven't missed having a TV at all, except for Hallmark, which I'm able to watch online.

My favorite TV show of all time is actually a newer one: Signed, Sealed, Delivered. (I was happy when it was turned into a TV series and then gutted when it was changed back into an occasional TV movie.) The cast is perfect.

I love Hallmark's original Movies & Mysteries series (Garage Sale, Aurora Teagarden, Murder She Baked, and Flower Shop) as well as many of their holiday films!

As for their original TV series, Signed, Sealed, Delivered, When Calls the Heart and (against better judgment) Good Witch. I just couldn't get into Cedar Cove.

I used to love EVERYTHING Hallmark, all the time, but must admit that in recent years, Hallmark has been losing it's standards and quality when it comes to writing and casting. CASTING IS 90%! To me, Hallmark is now more about the actors that still bring that cozy Hallmark feeling. 5% is the occupation/theme of the film. (Still a sucker for writers, bakers, and chefs! Never get tired of them!) The other 5% is the writing. (We all need a more corniness in our lives!) I don't mind formulaic writing with Hallmark. It's comforting and reliable. And in this day and age of Hollywood filth and vulgarity, formulaic corniness and quirkiness is more than welcomed!

The following list (off the top of my head) are the quintessential actors that, to me, are the very definition of Hallmark and I'd watch them in any Hallmark film/show: (Favorites in bold.)

Alison Sweeney, Candace Cameron Bure, Lori Loughlin, Cameron Mathison, Danica McKellar, Andrew W. Walker, Erin Krakow, Daniel Lissing, Catherine Bell, Bailee Madison, Lindy Booth, Alicia Witt, Ashley Williams, Eric Mabius, Lacey Chabert, Patricia Richardson, Wes Brown, Jill Wagner, Rachel Boston, Luke McFarlane, Victor Webster, Aaron Pearl, Marc Blucas, David Sutcliffe, Paul Greene, Niall Matter, etc.,

I don't mind watching films with unknown actors as main characters but Hallmark has really blown it in the casting department in recent years. Just to give one example, anything that stars Alexa and Carlos PenaVega (especially together) is completely unwatchable to me.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 2,222,234 times
I had the exact same word as Katharsis in mind... wholesome. But I think of Lori Loughlin.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:06 AM

Most Hallmark shows are filmed in Canada with a Canadian supporting cast and Canadian production crew.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM

95 posts, read 17,100 times
Actually, I'll be watching a Hallmark film later today called Winter Love Story. Unknown (to me) actors but it's about writers. (Nothing better to do during a day off with a polar vortex of dangerous wind chills up to -50F.)

Quote:
When first-time author Cassie Winslett is paired with successful author Elliot Somersby on a road trip to promote their books, she learns to believe in herself and her talent. She also finds truth in the old adage "you can't judge a book by its cover" as she finds herself falling for the guy she thought to be pompous and full of himself when they first met.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Status: "I will never forget you Shawn, you are greatly missed." (set 23 days ago)

10,489 posts, read 12,766,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Cute and perky women and clean-cut, laid back men. The kind you used to find modeling for Sears and JC Penney catalogs. No edgy types need apply.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Awy5IdbkP8s
I agree. Same default type people. They team up to fight any of the following:

Killer clowns
Killer baby sitter
Killer housekeeper
Killer dog walker
Killer cat walker
Killer tree surgeon
Killer teacher
Killer underwater basket weaver
Killer husband or wife
Killer barfly bent on world domination

So bad its good these films.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM

I think there will eventually come a point where where someone at Hallmark will say “Let’s do something different”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or