U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:31 AM

1,617 posts, read 3,554,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I saw a very interesting podcast segment yesterday where Dr. Phil was being interviewed, including about the Smollett case. He said this fits a pattern of some people who feel they are constantly being oppressed, but nobody's paying attention to their complaints. So they decide to do a hoax, and justify it in their mind as just dressing up what's happening to them in their everyday life. I think that makes sense.
no that's justifying someones insane behavior... and there is no justification.

To be quite honest when I first heard this story the FIRST thing I thought about was the movie TED (you know with the talking teddy bear) and the "gay beatup club". It sounded like Mark Whalberg's coworker who said he met up with a guy late a night to get beat up and Mark responds that sounds a little gay haha.... case in point.

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rj5itmPuc

Old 02-28-2019, 11:40 AM

23,159 posts, read 4,819,896 times
Quote:
I saw a very interesting podcast segment yesterday where Dr. Phil was being interviewed, including about the Smollett case. He said this fits a pattern of some people who feel they are constantly being oppressed, but nobody's paying attention to their complaints. So they decide to do a hoax, and justify it in their mind as just dressing up what's happening to them in their everyday life. I think that makes sense.

No, it does not make sense.

That might be a factor in his decision for a criminal act, but it does not make sense. It's stupid, so self serving and so against all blacks are striving for...he just threw water in their faces.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM

20,756 posts, read 9,698,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
no that's justifying someones insane behavior... and there is no justification.

To be quite honest when I first heard this story the FIRST thing I thought about was the movie TED (you know with the talking teddy bear) and the "gay beatup club". It sounded like Mark Whalberg's coworker who said he met up with a guy late a night to get beat up and Mark responds that sounds a little gay haha.... case in point.

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rj5itmPuc
I'm not saying it's a sensible thing to do or justifiable. I'm saying that I can see how someone who is misguided or has emotional/mental issues could see it that way.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No, it does not make sense.

That might be a factor in his decision for a criminal act, but it does not make sense. It's stupid, so self serving and so against all blacks are striving for...he just threw water in their faces.
See my response in #133

Old 03-03-2019, 10:19 AM

34,288 posts, read 33,108,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Slightly OT - I find it kind of disturbing that there are so many cameras in cities these days. Sure, they help tremendously with criminal investigations and also to prevent crime...but it really is intrusive. On top of that, your phone puts together a map of everywhere you go.
Cameras don't prevent crime. They help detectives post-crime.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, I think they do both.

I'll tell you what I don't like...in our Kroger stores here (King Soopers) in aisles where they have a shoplifting problem, they have little cameras that beep to remind you that you're being watched.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:53 PM

29,345 posts, read 46,286,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Using outdoor cameras could DETER crime—move it to areas where there are no cameras maybe
And sometimes they can’t help because the quality of what they recorded is too poor and doesn’t provide useable info
So there are pros and cons about using security cameras—
If you are going to do it—get good quality, maintain them, and know what to expect — as to how far away they record viable footage...

There are people in my neighborhood who have security cameras—they even were on the HOA Board and used HOA money to install cameras in the front entrance—although we have two other ways of coming in/out our subdivision
The times someone has had an issue needing police—like vandalized car or attempted burglary none of these cameras has been worth spit in providing info to police...

Old 03-05-2019, 04:54 PM

1,663 posts, read 833,278 times
Quote:

Smollett came from an activist family. He was steeped in political activism--and its victimhood and anger--his entire life. I'm not so sure that Smollett was on the receiving end of that much oppression but he was certainly aware of what was going on around him. I think he had at least a middle class life and did not live through the poverty of those on the lowest end of the socio-economic spectrum. Nor am I sure just why he would take such a risky chance on staging the kind of fake crime of which he is accused under the conditions he did--unless it's that he just wasn't ENOUGH of a victim and wanted to be more of one and up his public profile in the process.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Smollett came from an activist family. He was steeped in political activism--and its victimhood and anger--his entire life. I'm not so sure that Smollett was on the receiving end of that much oppression but he was certainly aware of what was going on around him. I think he had at least a middle class life and did not live through the poverty of those on the lowest end of the socio-economic spectrum. Nor am I sure just why he would take such a risky chance on staging the kind of fake crime of which he is accused under the conditions he did--unless it's that he just wasn't ENOUGH of a victim and wanted to be more of one and up his public profile in the process.
I think you're on the right track. I've watching his activism, and -- up till now -- admired him for it. But I wonder if perhaps he didn't want to be not just down in the trenches, but a leading spokesperson for both the LGBT and Black community.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:56 AM

16,641 posts, read 13,131,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
On the news this evening the police said he would be facing 3-5 years for a hoax if found guilty. The way the case is going it looks as if his goose is cooked.
Why take it out on the goose?

It makes me angry, that this goose must pay the price for it's owner's misdeeds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities