U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 07:51 PM

15,426 posts, read 24,415,624 times

Advertisements

but what was the whole point to this hoax?
what was this supposed to accomplish?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 PM

20,756 posts, read 9,698,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but what was the whole point to this hoax?
what was this supposed to accomplish?
I'll tell you what I think could be an explanation, even though I may be way off base.

I began to think more negatively about Smollet a couple of years ago when he got up to present (as I recall) a Grammy Award. And his first words up there were, "I Love Being Black", even though he is half Jewish and half Black. He seems to work awfully hard at being accepted as Black and awfully hard at being publicly gay, and awfully hard at trying to be a leader for both groups (for example for the Black Aids Institute). How convenient it would be for him to be a martyr for being both gay and Black.

When you watch the MANY You Tube videos about him and this situation (most of which are put together by African-Americans) one thing that comes up sometimes is a resentment about cultural appropriation.

I'm still trying to be open-minded about this. I don't think we know the truth yet. But from day one something just seemed off for me...and still does.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 PM

115 posts, read 20,727 times
Hollywood is imploding upon itself. They're victims of their own pride, ego, self-importance, politics and hypocrisy of intolerance. It's the liberal way... self-destructive hypocrites turning on each other and cannibalizing their own. Anything for press, attention and another moment of attempted relevance.

And, for the record, to preempt the predictable liberal insults, no, I'm not a Republican. I don't belong to any political party. I think for myself and speak from factual evidence in the media.

As for Smollett, it doesn't even matter. People have already made up their minds. Most people would rather die sticking to their opinions, knowing they're wrong, than lose face by admitting they were wrong and pre-judged someone/something based on their opinion/feelings instead of facts. We live in a world where people demand "that's MY truth" while reserving their "right" to attack others for their's. In this social media age, opinions are facts. But the fact is: Time's change. Truth does not.

My point, and the relevance of my comment is that the Jussie Smollett situation isn't just about Jussie Smollett. It's about everyone who spoke out trying to defend their own accusations or justifications.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 PM

13,720 posts, read 5,812,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll tell you what I think could be an explanation, even though I may be way off base.

I began to think more negatively about Smollet a couple of years ago when he got up to present (as I recall) a Grammy Award. And his first words up there were, "I Love Being Black", even though he is half Jewish and half Black. He seems to work awfully hard at being accepted as Black and awfully hard at being publicly gay, and awfully hard at trying to be a leader for both groups (for example for the Black Aids Institute). How convenient it would be for him to be a martyr for being both gay and Black.

When you watch the MANY You Tube videos about him and this situation (most of which are put together by African-Americans) one thing that comes up sometimes is a resentment about cultural appropriation.

I'm still trying to be open-minded about this. I don't think we know the truth yet. But from day one something just seemed off for me...and still does.
This one stunk from the minute it was reported. Quite frankly, Iím more surprised by all the people coming out as shocked. How could you not immediately be suspicious of his story? Did you honestly think being attacked by bleach and noose wielding Trump supporters in the middle of the night in subzero temperatures was plausible? Especially after we learned the police were able to piece together every minute of his walk back from Subway to his apartment, and he was only out of the camera range for about one minute? He walked out of that area with a subway sandwich in one hand and a rope around his neck. One minute. Let that sink in.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:45 PM

11,760 posts, read 7,159,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Who cares?
Anyone who believes in the Rule of Law, the Rule of Reason. and the Rule of Truth; which eliminates a small, vicious clique who seek to dominate this Forum by any means available.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:07 PM

8,882 posts, read 6,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
This one stunk from the minute it was reported. Quite frankly, Iím more surprised by all the people coming out as shocked. How could you not immediately be suspicious of his story? Did you honestly think being attacked by bleach and noose wielding Trump supporters in the middle of the night in subzero temperatures was plausible? Especially after we learned the police were able to piece together every minute of his walk back from Subway to his apartment, and he was only out of the camera range for about one minute? He walked out of that area with a subway sandwich in one hand and a rope around his neck. One minute. Let that sink in.

That's not even the most implausible part to me..

It was the fact that the story was, he was specifically targeted. So, in addition to all you mention above.. The perpetrators (supposed) would have either had to be sitting out for a very long time in said subzero temps to get their opportunity.. Or.. be the luckiest SOBs in the world.

The part that gets me.. how did this happen in the one place where there was no security camera? Even if he planned it.. That actually requires some luck on his part, or severe planning. Think about it.. Cameras are so small in todays world.. How could you know where they all are?

Old 02-18-2019, 11:15 PM

20,756 posts, read 9,698,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
Hollywood is imploding upon itself. They're victims of their own pride, ego, self-importance, politics and hypocrisy of intolerance. It's the liberal way... self-destructive hypocrites turning on each other and cannibalizing their own. Anything for press, attention and another moment of attempted relevance.

And, for the record, to preempt the predictable liberal insults, no, I'm not a Republican. I don't belong to any political party. I think for myself and speak from factual evidence in the media.

As for Smollett, it doesn't even matter. People have already made up their minds. Most people would rather die sticking to their opinions, knowing they're wrong, than lose face by admitting they were wrong and pre-judged someone/something based on their opinion/feelings instead of facts. We live in a world where people demand "that's MY truth" while reserving their "right" to attack others for their's. In this social media age, opinions are facts. But the fact is: Time's change. Truth does not.

My point, and the relevance of my comment is that the Jussie Smollett situation isn't just about Jussie Smollett. It's about everyone who spoke out trying to defend their own accusations or justifications.
It's actually about far more than that.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 AM

13,720 posts, read 5,812,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's not even the most implausible part to me..

It was the fact that the story was, he was specifically targeted. So, in addition to all you mention above.. The perpetrators (supposed) would have either had to be sitting out for a very long time in said subzero temps to get their opportunity.. Or.. be the luckiest SOBs in the world.

The part that gets me.. how did this happen in the one place where there was no security camera? Even if he planned it.. That actually requires some luck on his part, or severe planning. Think about it.. Cameras are so small in todays world.. How could you know where they all are?
I’m not sure they even planned for the cameras. Perhaps they didn’t realize how many cameras there were, because Jussie seemed to know about the one but not about how many others there were recording his movements. Otherwise, one would assume he’d have stayed out of camera range for longer than a minute.

I’m actually starting to feel a bit sorry for Jussie. He seems a little spacy, but not someone I want to see ruined forever. He probably thought it would just be nameless Trump supporters and the police would do a minimal investigation and it would never be solved. He’d get his name in the paper and the writers at Empire would keep his character alive and his upcoming concert would sell out.

Now he may go to jail. How quickly fortunes turn. I know this sounds morbid, but I really hope this doesn’t end with him killing himself. He must be feeling pretty desperate right now, and he doesn’t seem too mentally stable. Hopefully he knows he can get past this one day. Even as a conservative, I hold no ill will towards him like some do. I’m more angry that the media pushed this story even though it was so full of holes.

Last edited by katygirl68; 02-19-2019 at 12:42 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 06:54 AM

3,626 posts, read 1,022,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Iím not sure they even planned for the cameras. Perhaps they didnít realize how many cameras there were
Slightly OT - I find it kind of disturbing that there are so many cameras in cities these days. Sure, they help tremendously with criminal investigations and also to prevent crime...but it really is intrusive. On top of that, your phone puts together a map of everywhere you go.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:34 AM

8,882 posts, read 6,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Slightly OT - I find it kind of disturbing that there are so many cameras in cities these days. Sure, they help tremendously with criminal investigations and also to prevent crime...but it really is intrusive. On top of that, your phone puts together a map of everywhere you go.

You can turn GPS off on your phone.. And as for the cameras.. If you're in a public area, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.