U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:03 AM

20,756 posts, read 9,698,603 times

Advertisements

The delay in cooperating with the police currently apparently being precipitated by Smollett...well...who is the heck does he think he is? Let's assume he's not guilty of perpetrating a hoax -- the negative publicity around him continues to pile up day after day, further damaging the perception the public has about him. Again, assuming he's not guilty, I think he handling this tremendously poorly.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:10 AM

12,346 posts, read 13,636,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I wonder how this will affect his career. Even if he is guilty of staging the whole thing, he's now a household name.

A lot of people believe that all publicity is good publicity. I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but...
If he were to be charged with a criminal offense, tried and convicted and ended up serving time I think this would, at the very least, put a major detour onto his career path.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,022,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If he were to be charged with a criminal offense, tried and convicted and ended up serving time I think this would, at the very least, put a major detour onto his career path.
Yeah, I'm now thinking he's likely done. Check this out:

Jussie Smollett’s ‘Empire’ scenes cut after attack controversy

Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM

8,882 posts, read 6,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The delay in cooperating with the police currently apparently being precipitated by Smollett...well...who is the heck does he think he is? Let's assume he's not guilty of perpetrating a hoax -- the negative publicity around him continues to pile up day after day, further damaging the perception the public has about him. Again, assuming he's not guilty, I think he handling this tremendously poorly.
well, if it isn't a hoax.. Who really cares what he does? at the end of the day, he will have done nothing wrong and pointing a finger at someone who legitimately was the victim of a crime just doesn't make any sense. Though, it's hard to call the assault racially motivated when it was 2 black guys who did it. And he clearly wanted people to think it was 2 white guys.

But.. it's becoming clearer and clearer that he had some crazy thought that this would increase his fame in some way.

And, something I just read.. he thought the area where the 'attack' happened was covered by cameras. Apparently the ninny wanted it captured on camera..

And, clarification on something I said before about turning the GPS off on your phone.. Obviously, with a subpeona, your location can still be determined by the pings to cell towers. but, at least the apps on your phone won't be tracking your location everywhere you go.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,022,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And, clarification on something I said before about turning the GPS off on your phone.. Obviously, with a subpeona, your location can still be determined by the pings to cell towers. but, at least the apps on your phone won't be tracking your location everywhere you go.
I don't want to derail the thread but, yes, your location is still being tracked even if you turn off location services. And some apps disregard your preferences.

Most newer cars track everywhere you go also.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM

3,008 posts, read 6,747,502 times
Why would the guy do this? He is on a popular show and getting paid well, why? I don't think he will do any jail time though.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 5,735,778 times
Anyone who is from Chicago or familiar with it would immediately be suspicious of the story. It just does not add up.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:08 PM

13,720 posts, read 5,812,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Slightly OT - I find it kind of disturbing that there are so many cameras in cities these days. Sure, they help tremendously with criminal investigations and also to prevent crime...but it really is intrusive. On top of that, your phone puts together a map of everywhere you go.
Yep, you’re walking around with a tracking device. It’s done a lot of people in, but it’s also exonerated a few people. Also, don’t forget the watches people use for exercise. They’ve caught some people that way, and I know of at least one person who was able to prove he didn’t kill his girlfriend because of that watch.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 PM

13,720 posts, read 5,812,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You can turn GPS off on your phone.. And as for the cameras.. If you're in a public area, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
You can turn GPS off, but the phone still tracks you and the police can still get that data. Turning it off yourself only helps you if you’re cheating on your partner.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 PM

15,426 posts, read 24,415,624 times
they need to fire him, like they did roseanne, if this was a hoax.

what she did, wasnt the end of the earth......seriously, this was by far worse!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities