U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM

39,090 posts, read 46,386,978 times

Advertisements

This was not Smollett's first rodeo.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/enter...ack/index.html
Smollett charged with providing false information to law enforcement in 2007 misdemeanor case...

Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 PM

19,456 posts, read 12,730,783 times
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

If this turns out to be true then Smollett deserves what's coming to him.

Can't understand what makes so called "stars" do these half-a$$ stunts; for PR reasons or otherwise. This ain't I Love Lucy or whatever in television land. There people get a slap on the wrist for being naughty, and finger waving saying "now, now; you little imp".... In real life this could lead to some serious consequences and repercussions.

Then again the usual "equality" suspects will rally to Smollett's side, and find some way to justify his (alleged if turns out to be true) actions, and by extension why he shouldn't be treated or even judged harshly.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 PM

20,756 posts, read 9,698,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

If this turns out to be true then Smollett deserves what's coming to him.

Can't understand what makes so called "stars" do these half-a$$ stunts; for PR reasons or otherwise. This ain't I Love Lucy or whatever in television land. There people get a slap on the wrist for being naughty, and finger waving saying "now, now; you little imp".... In real life this could lead to some serious consequences and repercussions.

Then again the usual "equality" suspects will rally to Smollett's side, and find some way to justify his (alleged if turns out to be true) actions, and by extension why he shouldn't be treated or even judged harshly.
I don't see much rallying.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 6,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You can turn GPS off, but the phone still tracks you and the police can still get that data. Turning it off yourself only helps you if you’re cheating on your partner.

Yeah, I did clarify that a few posts later.. I was only referring to legit apps. Obviously, pinging cell phone towers is still going to happen and police with a subpeona can get that info. Of course, my response to that one is that if you're not doing anything illegal, you probably don't have to worry about that. Rogue apps are another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't see much rallying.
No question. MOST people are throwing out the "I hope it's not made up, but if it is, he needs to be punished" other than a few, mainly politicians, who have now magically changed their tune to "We need to wait and see".. Gee, you didn't think we needed to wait and see when it was first reported, did you? And others who are saying "I can't trust the Chicago Police".. well, you obviously can't trust 'ol Jussie, either.

Someone said something.. a little over the top, but as with most things, there's a touch of truth to it.. They said if he made this up he should face maximum penalties because he could have started a race war. Not.. ENTIRELY inaccurate. Going a little far with it, as I don't think it would have gone that far, but.. It certainly hurt relations.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM

What I find interesting is that if you go to You Tube, the anti-Smollett rants are almost all by African-Americans. Not what I would have expected.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 6,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What I find interesting is that if you go to You Tube, the anti-Smollett rants are almost all by African-Americans. Not what I would have expected.

I actually understand it. Now, perhaps I'm incorrect in my thought process on it.. But it seems to me that they'd be ticked for a couple of reasons.. First, just like if you're a Trump supporter and some idiot goes out and does something stupid. While it wasn't YOU who did it.. In todays world it does reflect back on "Oh, they're all like that". Or if you're a democrat and you're looking at them celebrating running Amazon out of NYC and thinking "Hmm.. This seems dumb"... Just because Jussie is a liar doesn't mean all black people are, but.. That connotation does hang out there a little bit.

The other thing is the harm that it does. Crap SIMILAR to this does still happen in the country today.. It's unfortunate that it does, and thankfully, it's far less than it used to be.. However, it still happens. When someone lies about it, it makes it so that when the NEXT person who REALLY had this happen to them is eyed with suspicion.

so.. Yeah.. I can understand where they're coming from and I don't blame them.

this is very, very similar to a woman who falsely claims rape. Perhaps the possible damage is a little less, but I don't think the emotions run any less high.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 PM

8,668 posts, read 5,858,682 times
I said this on day one and I'm saying it now" "Stick him a fork, he's done!"

Old 02-20-2019, 12:25 PM

23,159 posts, read 4,819,896 times
The more info that comes in...the more I am despising this guy....

A black guy using a noose in this fake-o attack...? What's worse than that??

Scumbag...

Old 02-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I actually understand it. Now, perhaps I'm incorrect in my thought process on it.. But it seems to me that they'd be ticked for a couple of reasons.. First, just like if you're a Trump supporter and some idiot goes out and does something stupid. While it wasn't YOU who did it.. In todays world it does reflect back on "Oh, they're all like that". Or if you're a democrat and you're looking at them celebrating running Amazon out of NYC and thinking "Hmm.. This seems dumb"... Just because Jussie is a liar doesn't mean all black people are, but.. That connotation does hang out there a little bit.

The other thing is the harm that it does. Crap SIMILAR to this does still happen in the country today.. It's unfortunate that it does, and thankfully, it's far less than it used to be.. However, it still happens. When someone lies about it, it makes it so that when the NEXT person who REALLY had this happen to them is eyed with suspicion.

so.. Yeah.. I can understand where they're coming from and I don't blame them.

this is very, very similar to a woman who falsely claims rape. Perhaps the possible damage is a little less, but I don't think the emotions run any less high.
One take on it I saw on You Tube was that as a 50-50 mixed race person, some may feel his claims to be "Black" are cultural appropriation.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:29 PM

647 posts, read 301,740 times
I had trouble believing his story. Why were there no rope burns around his neck? Why would criminals put on a rope and not attempt to strangle him? Why no bleach burns or other injuries except a scratch on his face? He didn't look beat up to me. I say his career is over if the brothers he paid are telling the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities