U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM

647 posts, read 301,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One take on it I saw on You Tube was that as a 50-50 mixed race person, some may feel his claims to be "Black" are cultural appropriation.

I don't buy that if you are white mixed race with black that makes you white. Not in the US! Theres no way you can say you are white. Its that long standing one drop rule. Imagine being brown or have black features and trying to front that you are white--No. Even black people know that. I have several mixed race relatives and they know better than to try to say they are white.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 PM

20,756 posts, read 9,698,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I don't buy that if you are white mixed race with black that makes you white. Not in the US! Theres no way you can say you are white. Its that long standing one drop rule. Imagine being brown or have black features and trying to front that you are white--No. Even black people know that. I have several mixed race relatives and they know better than to try to say they are white.
I'm just telling you what I say on a You Tube video.

To me, the race a person is, is a neutral fact, whether it's Black, white, or mixed.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 6,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post

some black people use the one drop rule as well.. If you have one drop of white(Or asian or hispanic) blood, you're not black. amazing how things do a complete 180 if given enough time, isn't it?

Then the whole light skinned vs dark skinned. There's actually some out there that say some people aren't "Black enough"

and somehow, that's not considered racist...

Old 02-20-2019, 05:00 PM

8,108 posts, read 5,042,607 times
His career is finished, nobody is going to want to touch him.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 PM

20,756 posts, read 9,698,603 times
Smollett has been indicted on a felony charge.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 PM

9,485 posts, read 9,433,146 times
Hope he likes Orange Is the New Black, because that's going to be his new show IRL.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 781,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
some black people use the one drop rule as well.. If you have one drop of white(Or asian or hispanic) blood, you're not black. amazing how things do a complete 180 if given enough time, isn't it?

Then the whole light skinned vs dark skinned. There's actually some out there that say some people aren't "Black enough"

and somehow, that's not considered racist...

Maybe you, and some others should look up the definition of racist.
It's really not complicated.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:26 AM

19,456 posts, read 12,730,783 times
Busted!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/a...k-suspect.html

"Filing a false police report in Illinois is technically referred to as disorderly conduct and can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony. In Mr. Smollett’s case, he was charged with a felony count, which carries a maximum sentence of three years in prison."

Old 02-21-2019, 04:44 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,414,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One take on it I saw on You Tube was that as a 50-50 mixed race person, some may feel his claims to be "Black" are cultural appropriation.
The difference is, with black people (just my personal opinion), even when mixed, they still look "Black" at first site and would still live the black experience. For example, the first time I saw Smollett, I just assumed he was a normal black guy. It was only later I read that he was 50-50 mixed. I would have never known that.

I am white, so likely blacks can more easily tell and would be upset about cultural appropriation. But the vast majority of of mixed people just look black to the general public, and therefore, experience life like any other black person. This is because blacks tend to have dominant phenotypes (gene expression) of physical traits.

There are rare exceptions. For example, I always thought Megan Markle was Jewish (Mediterranean white) especially given her German last name, lol. I could see her maybe being mixed (but would have thought Hispanic or other Mediterranean culture). But most times mixed blacks, just look "black" to me. So in my mind there is no cultural appropriation. Although as a non-mixed black, you may view it differently.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:17 AM

15,426 posts, read 24,415,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
His career is finished, nobody is going to want to touch him.

good, just like Roseanne.

what he did was terrible, and he needs to be punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities