U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:23 AM

5,891 posts, read 997,333 times

Advertisements

I liked the Monkees, but my sister REALLY liked the Monkees. (I was 13 and she was 11 when the show debuted.) When she was an older teen, she would make fun of me because I still liked bubblegum rock, even though I was the older one, but sometimes I would still catch her playing a Monkees album.

Although we never exchanged gifts when we were older, for her 50th birthday, I bought her a Monkees CD, and she laughed SO hard, and she said it was the best gift she received that year. (And she told me afterward that she did play it.)

I still don't know why bubblegum rock has a bad rep with so many people. What is wrong with music that just makes you happy and smile and sing along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM

8,170 posts, read 10,478,670 times
Good memories. I think they were on Saturday mornings when I watched.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 PM

7,367 posts, read 13,064,906 times
In the L.A. area, he was just as famous for the parties he had at his house.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM

8,262 posts, read 3,278,130 times
I think they were really better musicians than they were given credit for.

Trivia: John Denver tried out for The Monkees show but he was told "he wasn't goofy enough". Even Denver recognized the humor in this. ;D

More trivia: Mike Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:06 PM

2,695 posts, read 1,449,784 times
Also Steven Stills auditioned for the Monkees.

Although they were probably the original "boy band" - an artificial confection constructed by a corporation to market & sell as much "product" as possible they were also about the hippest tv show at the time along with Laugh In & The Smothers Bros. And they got the cream of the best songwriters material played by the Wrecking Crew, a great combination.

RIP Peter

Old 02-22-2019, 07:08 PM
BMI

6,952 posts, read 4,137,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
In the L.A. area, he was just as famous for the parties he had at his house.
Yes, those legendary 1960s parties, clothing optional, with every big name you can think of..
Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Clapton, Mama Cass, a Beatle or two.....

Tork was the most musically talented in the group but the worst singer
Just listen to the Monkees track “Auntie Grizelda” ...fun tune but Tork is no Freddie Mercury.

Tork was a good solid musician, guitar, bass, keyboards, banjo,
he played Banjo on George Harrison’s “Wonderwall” album in 1968.

He first played back east ....Greenwich Village, early sixties, met and hung
out with other young musicians who would later “make it”, like
David Crosby, Jorma Kaukonen, Stephen Stills....into dope/acid even back then,
of course hanging out with Crosby didn’t help

Legend has it that Stephen Stills auditioned for the Monkees but was rejected
because of bad hair (already receding) and bad teeth (Monkees had to look good on TV),
Stills recommened they check out Tork.

Anyway he got the gig in late 1965 and was the first to leave the Monkees in late 1968.
Around the time their movie “Head” was released (fantastic movie BTW) and filming
their up coming big TV special “33 and a 3rd Monkees per Revolution” (last with Tork)
Surprising he left first ....most people would think Mike Nesmith as he was later nortorious
for rarely agreeing to any Monkees reunions. Mike didn’t need the money,
his mother invented liquid paper....making Nesmith now a very rich man.

Anyway, I always liked Tork, dorky on the show, spiritual in real life,
real name was Thorkelson, or something like that, Norwegian background like me.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 PM

10,326 posts, read 2,772,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think they were really better musicians than they were given credit for.

Trivia: John Denver tried out for The Monkees show but he was told "he wasn't goofy enough". Even Denver recognized the humor in this. ;D

More trivia: Mike Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper.
Yeah, that has stuck in my mind for decades.

I also agree with the last sentence of Katharsis' last post....

...nothing wrong with music that just makes you happy.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 PM

6,277 posts, read 5,317,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I liked the Monkees, but my sister REALLY liked the Monkees. (I was 13 and she was 11 when the show debuted.) When she was an older teen, she would make fun of me because I still liked bubblegum rock, even though I was the older one, but sometimes I would still catch her playing a Monkees album.

Although we never exchanged gifts when we were older, for her 50th birthday, I bought her a Monkees CD, and she laughed SO hard, and she said it was the best gift she received that year. (And she told me afterward that she did play it.)

I still don't know why bubblegum rock has a bad rep with so many people. What is wrong with music that just makes you happy and smile and sing along?
I think more people love Bubblegum than they will admit.

For my 58th birthday, my youngest daughter got me the Bay City Rollers Greatest Hits! Alan Longmuir had recently passed, and it made me both ecstatic and sad. (And yes, I still listen to and love them, as I do the Monkees). I've played a lot of Rollers for my grandsons (5 and 2), and they love it, it makes them jump up and down and dance. Now I think I'll introduce them to the Monkees (maybe teach them the "Monkee Walk"). If their mom, oldest DD, looks at me aghast (and she will), I'll just tell her it's "music appreciation".

"Here we come, walkin' down the street..." Who didn't do that "walk" with their friends?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 PM

8,832 posts, read 6,519,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
“Head” was released (fantastic movie BTW)

Seriously?

I watched that movie a couple of times, just trying to figure it out.. Only thing I could figure was that it must require serious amounts of drugs to understand.

Old Today, 02:32 AM

72 posts, read 11,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Seriously?

I watched that movie a couple of times, just trying to figure it out.. Only thing I could figure was that it must require serious amounts of drugs to understand.
Head is better than 33/3 Revolution Per Monkee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or