Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times

Advertisements

Well it would help if the OP had an idea of what they were talkiing about;

Emmy; For TV
Oscar: For movies, BTW, Academy awards is the Oscar!
Both of these are an industry awarding it's own folks
Golden Globes: I think this is a function of the foreign press
Grammy: Recording industry
CMA: Country Music Award, I think it's done by the Country Music Association.

Does your industry and/or employer NOT recognize outstanding performance?

As far as being OVERPAID you are sadly mistaken. In true capitalism it is impossible to OVERPAY someone. People pay for tickets to see these people perform. No ticket buyers, no payday for the performer. In fact a very strong case could be made that live performers who sell tickets for $50 per event, only to have them snapped up by scalpers who resell them for $100 are UNDERPAID/being shortchanged by the venue selling the tickets.

And don't for a minute that the companies who pay the endorsers don't know what they're doing. If it wasn't effective they wouldn't pay it.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
oh please. Someone like Jennifer Aniston is overpaid. The last film "Friends With Money" was awful, she was paid well over a million, I think (I dont read tabloids, not really sure)

Yes there are some talented celebs who deserve what they have, but it would be refreshing to once in awhile hear a no-talent sit-com star say - wow Im lucky, I got more than I deserve.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
As far as being OVERPAID you are sadly mistaken. In true capitalism it is impossible to OVERPAY someone. People pay for tickets to see these people perform. No ticket buyers, no payday for the performer. In fact a very strong case could be made that live performers who sell tickets for $50 per event, only to have them snapped up by scalpers who resell them for $100 are UNDERPAID/being shortchanged by the venue selling the tickets.

And don't for a minute that the companies who pay the endorsers don't know what they're doing. If it wasn't effective they wouldn't pay it.
True.
I think we all understand the phrase "what the market will bear."
And for every person such as myself, who watches very little network TV, has pretty much given up stadium concerts and has attended maybe 2 professional football games in my life, there are a bunch more folks willing to pony up the $ for the bread and circuses.
As for advertising, yup, it's true. I don't know which idiot out there is buying a Cadillac simply because he saw a Led Zeppelin ad, but supposedly this stuff works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
oh please. Someone like Jennifer Aniston is overpaid. The last film "Friends With Money" was awful, she was paid well over a million, I think (I dont read tabloids, not really sure)

Yes there are some talented celebs who deserve what they have, but it would be refreshing to once in awhile hear a no-talent sit-com star say - wow Im lucky, I got more than I deserve.
Also true.
Look, Judge Judy pulls down 80 million a year. My husband would argue that she deserves every penny. (He might not agree about Oprah's 260 mil though.) I know that both my husband and brothers thought that John Elway was well worth his paycheck.
My problem with this financial setup is that I don't think it trickles down all that much anymore. Greed gets in the way. Just seems like the top of the pyramid keeps getting higher.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:45 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
i am not referrring to paychecks here---i am refering to accolades and awards...for acting

Old 09-09-2008, 10:38 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I agree ...and these Celebrities make oodles of money, then on top of that companies fall over themselves getting them endorse their products ....I mean am I gonna buy a Buick cuz Tiger Woods says he "loves" it ....really ...I'll buy it if I think it's good car, not because a celebrity tells me it's great

When are companies going to get it
The best thing Tiger Woods has done for golf this year was have knee surgery. My dad always said they should just hand Tiger the check at the tournaments, then let him go home and then we get to see some good golfers that never get mentioned or do any good because Tiger's winning it all. He's one reason I wouldn't take a Buick if he gave it to me.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
kygman wrote;
Quote:
hand Tiger the check at the tournaments, then let him go home and then we get to see some good golfers that never get mentioned or do any good because Tiger's winning it all
What! So he doesn't believe in the BEST winning out over the others? Trust me those other guys may not like that they're not winning but the 2nd through 10th place money is so much better BECAUSE OF TIGER.

Without knowing the person I'd have to say that calling those that aren't winning (note-I did not call them losers) good golfers and implying that they should win, has no basis in LOGIC. Therefor it smacks just a bit of jealousy and/or racism.

What if Lefty had been winning as much as Tiger? Or Padrig Harrington? If they had the same record over the past 10 years as Tiger would he have made such a ridiculous statement?

Kind of reminds me of people who like having GW Bush as President because "morons have been shut out of the job too long because qualified people keep winning elections".

golfgod

Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
i am not referrring to paychecks here---i am refering to accolades and awards...for acting
As mentioned earlier, the accolades and awards, for the most part, are given on televised programs.
The television producers sell advertising.
It still comes down to paychecks, and who gets them. When you look at how the entertainment industry is structured, the self-congratulatory stuff is almost beside the point.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
As mentioned earlier, the accolades and awards, for the most part, are given on televised programs.
The television producers sell advertising.
It still comes down to paychecks, and who gets them. When you look at how the entertainment industry is structured, the self-congratulatory stuff is almost beside the point.
Good point Blueplate! The producers are the ones who make the cash on awards shows. The celebrities don't make any money for showing up. Every new award show is some producers idea.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:36 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
most celebrities incl crazy tom cruise,big mouth will smith & soooo many others think they are all that & a bag of lays potato chips.I think they are all overpaid,greedy,spoiled creeps.....period! OH...Im also incl the lame talk show hosts as well (mainly daytime).

Old 09-15-2008, 07:38 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
most celebrities incl crazy tom cruise,big mouth will smith & soooo many others think they are all that & a bag of lays potato chips.I think they are all overpaid,greedy,spoiled creeps.....period! OH...Im also incl the lame talk show hosts as well (mainly daytime).
and now we have theses losers playing politics--every single one of them are for some reason all against Sarah Palin..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities