Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 03:30 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times

Advertisements

Here’s an article from The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ory-paper-moon

My sister and I notify each other of celebrity deaths by texting a 1-2 line obit. Today’s is “Ryan O’Neal went to see if it really is just a paper moon.”

That is one of my favorite movies of his.
Posting Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 03:42 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I swear all of these deaths are making me feel even older than I am (70).

Back to the topic, I can remember when "Love Story" was THE movie for teenage girls. (Even though I thought that "love means never having to say you're sorry" line was about the most stupid line I ever heard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhS8q66L38

Btw, Ali MacGraw was 30 years old, and I remember thinking, "But that's so old!"

Old 12-08-2023, 03:48 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I swear all of these deaths are making me feel even older than I am (70).

Back to the topic, I can remember when "Love Story" was THE movie for teenage girls. (Even though I thought that "love means never having to say you're sorry" line was about the most stupid line I ever heard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhS8q66L38

Btw, Ali MacGraw was 30 years old, and I remember thinking, "But that's so old!"
Yes, good movie, even for a guy to watch. I think most males thought of it as an Ali McGraw movie instead of a Ryan On'Neil movie.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:13 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
It's one after the other in my age group 70s and over passing away. It does make me feel I need to make the most of each day, as the time is flying by now. RiP Ryan

Old 12-08-2023, 04:46 PM

7,253 posts, read 3,776,807 times
He certainly dated some beautiful women. RIP.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:51 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
It sounds as though he had been in declining health for awhile with his first cancer diagnoses in his early 60's. He was a gifted actor, I didn't realize that his son, Patrick, is a little younger than I am. Tatum is a little older.

I hope his kids are doing o.k.. And, yes, I agree with Jimrob1 that life is short. Live it.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:52 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
I wasn’t born yet when the movie came out but it’s one of those movies where you would laugh at how corny the dialogue was but the fashion (on both leading actors.) was never, if ever, went out of style.

Every girl wants to look like Ali MacGraw at some point of her life.

Ryan O’Neal had one of those WASPY sensitive jocks faces but seemed like an egotistic insensitive Dad, at least that’s how it came across in Tatum’s book (borrowed it from library.) that he partied with underaged her and very young Melanie Griffith. A very complicated and odd relationship between father and daughter.

For some reason I thought he would have been older than 82.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:55 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
News like this triggers flashbacks to 50+ years ago. I was an age 16 foreign exchange student in Chile in 1971, and remember a date-night to the movies with a same-age girl from the neighborhood. We saw Love Story at an old time movie theater in Valparaiso, Chile. Most seats were occupied by other teen couples, so Love Story had become an iconic "date movie" at least in 1970-1971. Lucky for me it was not dubbed in Spanish, the audio was the original English version with fairly good Spanish subtitles, however the subtitles often miss some of the original meaning that doesn't translate very well.

RIP Ryan O'Neal.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:18 PM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times
I once read a medical study that followed the same group of very fit people over the course of decades, doing annual tests of cognition and physical fitness and the results showed very small and predictable declines each year until the age of 80, at which point it was like everyone hit a wall and started declining 3 times as quickly. This seems to be especially pronounced for men.

I saw pictures of Chevy Chase, also 80, in a wheelchair the other day looking quite frail. He was still doing "Community" 10 years ago and seemed pretty spry.

Harrison Ford is 81 now and he's looking really old in the latest pictures. When the "The Force Awakens" started filming he was 70 and the only returning star that didn't have to undergo physical conditioning once he got to the set.

Time is a predator that stalks us our entire lives, to paraphrase a Star Trek character.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:27 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Most of the people I know seem about a decade younger than their chronological age. So, 82 is starting to sound pretty young to die.

I thought Love Story was painful - insipid, contrived, and poorly acted by both stars. Just one good push could have given us a pretty fun satire.

I did like Paper Moon, but that was because Tatum was such a champ - he played a pretty good foil for her and it was, IMO, his best role.

Enjoy this fun clip that encapsulates why Ryan O’Neal was known to be a bad actor

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KyBdPeKHg
Posting Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities