U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,252 posts, read 9,931,293 times
Reputation: 19803

Advertisements

I have a friend who apparently has survived pancreatic cancer, although it certainly wasn't stage 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:53 PM
 
1,715 posts, read 852,094 times
Reputation: 3295
i love his attitude about this. he has some humor about it in that video. he must continue working because his contract is for three more years! that's actually pretty awesome. i'm sure it helps to keep a good attitude and some humor to get through what is happening. i can't imagine how hard it must be to know that you are dying and it could be in a few short months. so sad.

unfortunately i know several people close to me who have died from cancer and i also know several people who have survived cancer. it seems like almost every day i hear about someone else who either just got diagnosed, are currently fighting cancer, have died, or know someone close to them who have died or have been diagnosed or are fighting cancer.

i do have to say, alex looks great for 78 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 PM
 
4,328 posts, read 3,175,143 times
Reputation: 7269
I was so shocked when I heard this news. So sad. He's almost like a member of the family because we watch him every night. I wish him all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 04:24 AM
 
9,658 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Reputation: 6193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
My question is, if your Alex, do you stay on and host the show for the next how every many months you have left, or do you call it quits and spend the time with your family at home or traveling?
I think initially he will fight and stay on the show.... But as it progresses, he will likely want to spend his last days with his family as he grows weaker... (assuming they can't get a handle on the disease).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 05:06 AM
 
31,563 posts, read 32,434,166 times
Reputation: 14709
One of my grandmothers died of pancreatic cancer several years. She survived approx. 3-4 months after her diagnosis and this was without treatment (as per her decision). Hopefully Alex Trebek does better with current treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Watervliet, NY
4,013 posts, read 1,449,629 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Not trying to sound callous, but he's almost 80 - he's going to die soon with or without cancer.
How do you know how soon he is going to die? Living to 80 is not the same these days as it was in the past. Hell, my best bud is 78 and he was texting me the other day about how he can't wait to get out on his motorcycle (and he does full-day rides, sometimes through 2-3 states in one trip - we're in eastern NY), and his health level (and yes, a few other things ) rivals that of men half his age. He does not look 78 and neither does Trebek. I figure both men look over a decade younger than they are.

Age is nothing but a chronological number.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 03-07-2019 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,859 posts, read 12,299,952 times
Reputation: 8427
I wish him the best of luck. He certainly looks good at 78, and to be at Stage 4. I wonder if he is early stage of 4, and perhaps his life can be prolonged with Chemo.

My dad died from Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer in 2003. We thought he had the flu, when we brought him to the ER. We were told it was Stage 4, and he was admitted. The next day we were told Chemo would not help him. The cancer was very far along, and no treatment would help him. This type of cancer can appear suddenly, and kills even faster. My father seemed fine until 2 days before the ER visit. He died a week later. We questioned the doctor how this happened so fast. We were told some get few to no symptoms with this type cancer. By the time the patient becomes ill. Its already to late. As was my fathers case.

Lets hope Alex has much better luck with this horrible cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 08:40 AM
 
27 posts, read 9,167 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I wish him the best of luck. He certainly looks good at 78, and to be at Stage 4. I wonder if he is early stage of 4, and perhaps his life can be prolonged with Chemo.

My dad died from Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer in 2003. We thought he had the flu, when we brought him to the ER. We were told it was Stage 4, and he was admitted. The next day we were told Chemo would not help him. The cancer was very far along, and no treatment would help him. This type of cancer can appear suddenly, and kills even faster. My father seemed fine until 2 days before the ER visit. He died a week later. We questioned the doctor how this happened so fast. We were told some get few to no symptoms with this type cancer. By the time the patient becomes ill. Its already to late. As was my fathers case.

Lets hope Alex has much better luck with this horrible cancer.
I am sorry for your loss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
1,513 posts, read 418,710 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
How do you know how soon he is going to die? Living to 80 is not the same these days as it was in the past. Hell, my best bud is 78 and he was texting me the other day about how he can't wait to get out on his motorcycle (and he does full-day rides, sometimes through 2-3 states in one trip - we're in eastern NY), and his health level (and yes, a few other things ) rivals that of men half his age. He does not look 78 and neither does Trebek. I figure both men look over a decade younger than they are.

Age is nothing but a chronological number.
Average life expectancy in the US for men is 76 years old, so he's already beat that. Any day past 80 is a beating the average gift, or a curse depending on how you feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Status: "Don't let the b*^*$ get you down" (set 14 days ago)
 
8,301 posts, read 10,598,970 times
Reputation: 12254
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Not trying to sound callous, but he's almost 80 - he's going to die soon with or without cancer.
No, not at all. Many people live well beyond 80. I work w/ elders and many of them are in their 90's, even late 90's. 80 isn't that "old" anymore. But, if you're relatively younger, it seems like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top