U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,654,709 times

Advertisements

If someone gives you a gun and says "kill me" and you do it, your a killer period. So what the young man was a willing participate, he was a butthead, but Nick was the idiot because he didn't have enough sense to say

"ok I know he's down with this, but I'm not ready to be the one whose responsible if something goes wrong".

Just because the passenger was a willing participant, doesn't relinquish Nick from being responsible for his injuries, simply because his injuries were a direct result of NICK'S decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
That's the reason we have laws that punish you for doing something reckless like drag-racing.

However, that doesn't answer the question "What's the relevance of the supposed victim's injury when he was participating in the recklessness?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Because it could have been someone that just happened to be there and not a partaker all together! He made the choice to drive that fast on a busy street without any consideration to everyone else around him. It could have easily been someone's child or any other bystander.

The Associated Press: Hulk Hogan's son sentenced to 8 months for crash
The legal system functions based upon actual events and not what could have happened. He was found guilty of reckless driving and sentenced.

Since the guy with him was a passenger and involved in the street racing then that would certainly be a mitigating factor since the guy knew what they were doing and willingly participated.

I'm not sure what additional charges you would like to see brought against him? Perhaps if the guy dies then manslaughter charges could be brought later.

P.S. There are videos of the accident on the web....seems like they were taping thier racing.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,834,959 times
well one thousand I don't care if the passenger encouraged it or not. Nick Hogan was the driver and choose to participate in something that he knew was wrong in the first place. His passenger didn't hold a gun to his head to drag race did he? Very flawed logic on your part especially on shooting yourself with a loaded gun.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:29 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,090,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
If someone gives you a gun and says "kill me" and you do it, your a killer period. So what the young man was a willing participate, he was a butthead, but Nick was the idiot because he didn't have enough sense to say

"ok I know he's down with this, but I'm not ready to be the one whose responsible if something goes wrong".

Just because the passenger was a willing participant, doesn't relinquish Nick from being responsible for his injuries, simply because his injuries were a direct result of NICK'S decision making.
That explains it: You don't respect the liberty of the injured kid. Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well one thousand I don't care if the passenger encouraged it or not. Nick Hogan was the driver and choose to participate in something that he knew was wrong in the first place. His passenger didn't hold a gun to his head to drag race did he? Very flawed logic on your part especially on shooting yourself with a loaded gun.
No need to get personal. Apparently, you guys have some patriarchal vision of government... You believe you have the right to infringe upon another's life. I don't care, I just wish you'd say "People can't think for themselves. They need people like me to protect them."

I find it a condescending attitude, but if you want to ignore the whole foundation of America for some left leaning utopic vision, who am I?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,834,959 times
^ this has nothing to do with "left leaning utopic vision" but personal responsibility. What if Hogan was the one who was injured instead of his passenger? Would you be scapegoating him still in a similar fashion? Hogan was in charge of the vehicle not his passenger and for someone who professes "libertarian" values and personal responsibility you really are stretching this arguement into la la land.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ this has nothing to do with "left leaning utopic vision" but personal responsibility. What if Hogan was the one who was injured instead of his passenger? Would you be scapegoating him still in a similar fashion? Hogan was in charge of the vehicle not his passenger and for someone who professes "libertarian" values and personal responsibility you really are stretching this arguement into la la land.
Again with getting personal... What's your problem, tiger?

You may not see it as left-leaning/utopic, but that's the direction your beliefs are heading.

I don't know where you get "scapegoating". Hogan deserves to be sentenced based on the crime he committed: drag racing. He doesn't deserve to get sentenced for the other. If Hogan's son was injured rather than the kid who was, the kid who was should get an accessory to drag-racing charge.

Hogan was in charge of the vehicle, and barring some evidence that the passenger was an unwilling participant, he chose to be in the vehicle and assumed all personal risks associated with that decision.

I just don't understand why you're so opposed to personal responsibility.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Dude calm down......let just agree to disagree 'kay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
That explains it: You don't respect the liberty of the injured kid. Fair enough.

No need to get personal. Apparently, you guys have some patriarchal vision of government... You believe you have the right to infringe upon another's life. I don't care, I just wish you'd say "People can't think for themselves. They need people like me to protect them."

I find it a condescending attitude, but if you want to ignore the whole foundation of America for some left leaning utopic vision, who am I?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:39 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,544,981 times
well onethousand, you must have been the perfect teen that never did anything wrong. peer pressure often trumps common sense among teens/young adults. so for you, one bad call in judgement=no sympathy whatsoever? now, I have little to no sympathy for Nick Hogan, a kid who's been arrested several times before for shouldn't have had his license in the first place

call me dumb/leftist/whatever, but even if the kid chose to get into that car, I still feel sympathy towards the fact that he's going to have a very rough life ahead of him. I still think Nick Hogan should have gotten a longer sentence (though apparently, the victim's family asked the sentence to be less than 1 year), and hope they sue the family for money to pay for this.

oh, and the rape analogy wasn't meant to be a direct analogy. there just seems to be people out there that think that if you put yourself in questionable situations, you deserve no sympathy when something bad happens to you, the same vibe I get off of your posts

Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well onethousand, you must have been the perfect teen that never did anything wrong. peer pressure often trumps common sense among teens/young adults. so for you, one bad call in judgement=no sympathy whatsoever? now, I have little to no sympathy for Nick Hogan, a kid who's been arrested several times before for shouldn't have had his license in the first place
No sympathy. It's the law, it's not your therapist. That statue doesn't wear a blind-fold for nothing.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The legal system functions based upon actual events and not what could have happened. He was found guilty of reckless driving and sentenced.
History has proven this to not be the case. In fact Judges convict people everyday based on the idea of preventing someone from doing something in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not sure what additional charges you would like to see brought against him? Perhaps if the guy dies then manslaughter charges could be brought later.

I just hope Nick learns from this seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities