Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 10:06 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Not many... Billy Connelly.. spoke to him on the street in Glasgow.. and Richard Widmark.. cant say I met him but walked past him on a quiet street where I lived in Glasgow 1961 when he visited his cousins who lived here...
I like Billy Connelly so I was curious about your meeting and impression of him?

Typically, I hear comedians (Stand-up or movie) being anywhere from reserved to unfriendly which seems a bit surprising but I have heard it from so many people I personally know who have actually met one or more in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 06:50 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
When I was 20 and first working in NYC, around '79-'80, our office attended a boat race on the Hudson in which one pf our office mates participated. It was covered by the news, and the announcer or emcee was this skinny black guy that the other secretary in the office seemed excited to see. She had danced with the Joffrey Ballet when she was young and loved New York theater, all of which my suburban self was clueless about.

She approached him and told him she loved what he did, and when he asked where we worked and learned it was not a great neighborhood, he offered to walk us back to the office. The two of them chatted all the way back about Broadway shows I had never heard of. He was very nice and would occasionally acknowledge my presence and attempt to include me in the conversation.

Afterward, she told me he was a well-known dancer and actor since childhood and also choreographed dancing for Broadway shows. His name was Gregory Hines. I had never heard of him. And, then, of course, in time, I heard of him again.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Gregory Hines is pretty darn cool .

Old 01-29-2023, 12:02 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was 20 and first working in NYC, around '79-'80, our office attended a boat race on the Hudson in which one pf our office mates participated. It was covered by the news, and the announcer or emcee was this skinny black guy that the other secretary in the office seemed excited to see. She had danced with the Joffrey Ballet when she was young and loved New York theater, all of which my suburban self was clueless about.

She approached him and told him she loved what he did, and when he asked where we worked and learned it was not a great neighborhood, he offered to walk us back to the office. The two of them chatted all the way back about Broadway shows I had never heard of. He was very nice and would occasionally acknowledge my presence and attempt to include me in the conversation.

Afterward, she told me he was a well-known dancer and actor since childhood and also choreographed dancing for Broadway shows. His name was Gregory Hines. I had never heard of him. And, then, of course, in time, I heard of him again.
Ha, my mom always had a crush on him. She took dancing when she was young, too, and always loved dancing, loved watching Dancing with the Stars, etc.

It's nice to hear this story.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:04 AM

2,975 posts, read 1,645,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I like Billy Connelly so I was curious about your meeting and impression of him?

Typically, I hear comedians (Stand-up or movie) being anywhere from reserved to unfriendly which seems a bit surprising but I have heard it from so many people I personally know who have actually met one or more in person.
I worked in a comedy club, three shows a night.

To a man, every comedian was aloof, reserved, didn't mingle with bar staff.

Some of them were hilarious onstage, when the act was over, so was the fun.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:49 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
I worked in a comedy club, three shows a night.

To a man, every comedian was aloof, reserved, didn't mingle with bar staff.

Some of them were hilarious onstage, when the act was over, so was the fun.
Very interesting but not surprising, it does correlate with the input of a few other people I know.
One of them was a cook working at an upscale catering company who served film productions and related events. He said on multiple occasions he tried to do small talk in a nice way with Will Ferrell, he was not friendly or seemed interested in chatting with any random person but would be chatting with other famous people there.

Not a fan or anything but I think he is pretty funny in the movies but in all honesty, he is not a funny, charming looking guy. In some ways, his face (eyes), remind me of Ron Perlman.

That said, there is also the other side of the medallion. Generally, I am pretty talkative but I don't wanna talk to everyone, especially if they seem annoying, rude or pretentious.

Can you imagine you just got up and wanted to go for a hike in the morning, gather your thoughts/plans for the day and be alone in peace and someone runs up to you with a phone and wants to take a selfie with you while they are already assuming the position and pointing their phone?

How about a "Hi, how are you doing?" first? Then chat a bit to see if they are welcoming or feeling OK, then perhaps ask if it'd be OK to take a photo with them?

A lot of the fans seem inconsiderate and a bit self-entitled with their expectations and demands. If not met, they are quick to label that celebrity as "not friendly" or "mean".

Old 02-01-2023, 11:27 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
I SAW Chris Robinson (with the Black Crowes) at a Cardinal's baseball game once. Maybe I mentioned that already...I forget. I didn't bother him though. I glanced in his direction a lot though. LOL

Old 02-08-2023, 01:09 PM

13,452 posts, read 372,208 times
Back when I was in 6th grade Brentwood,CA, on the way to school I often stopped in a store to look at the teen mags, one day…..right before me, Mark Miller from Please Don’t Eat The Daisies, t.v. Show was reading one of the magazines he was on the cover of He didn’t appear to be in a chatty mood, looked a bit unkempt, so I didn’t bother him, and went off to school. If it had been a Beatle I would have probably skipped school lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Miller_(actor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities