Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 07:54 PM

749 posts, read 481,478 times

Advertisements

I know that part of it could have been the clothes they wore or maybe they were trying to look older. But I was watching the movie Major League, it came out in 1989. The coach was only 49 at the time! I was shocked. I would have guessed around 80 years old. The lady owner was only 40 years old at the time. I remember thinking she was such a wicked, ''old,'' lady. She's only a little older than me and I feel like she could be my Aunty.

Julia Roberts was only 21 in "Pretty Women.'' I can't think of any 21-year-old girls nowadays that look as mature as her. I remember thinking she was 30 or 35. Linda Hamilton was only 34 in Terminator 2. It does not seem possible. So she's only a few years older than Miley Cyrus? It just doesn't seem realistic, yet it's a fact. She's younger in Terminator 2 than Hilary Duff is now. This cannot just be my imagination!

Not only did they look older, but they seemed older, they acted more serious or mature. So is it accurate to say 30 is the new 20? Cuz back then people look 10-15 years older if not more. I'm not just imagining this. I used to think I was. But now I'm starting to become older than some of my favorite celebrities when they were a certain age, yet they still feel much older than me. It's a very strange feeling, but it also makes me feel good that I still look young compared to them.

But this confuses me a bit. Because they say we are fatter and more unhealthy now than ever. But how can that be true, while we are aging much differently? Shouldn't it be the opposite? Shouldn't 30-year-olds look 50 now if we are really all that unhealthy? Their skin looked really rough back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 08:09 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
People matured faster?
Camera light? Film quality?
Less makeup?
Clothes, styles and demeanor?

Nowadays, some people stay childish much longer.

Hollywood now know ways to make actors appear younger, or older or completely different.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:41 PM

2,380 posts, read 1,062,715 times
Yeah, like Tom Cruise looking in his twenties for 30 years...only lately looking closer to his age,same with Brad Pitt...he will be turning 60 this year.

Or how about The Beatles....they aged 20 years in 5 years....
look at the 1964 Beatles on Ed Sullivan ...then look at The Beatles in "Let It Be/Get Back"...or crossing that crosswalk on the 'Abbey Road" album cover.

Strange thing is that Paul McCartney (when clean shaven) kept that baby face young look well into the 1980s, by then deep into his 40s.

Other the other hand ....Keith Richards is 79 but looks about 125.
So lifestyle must have something to do with it....

I get what you are saying...some actors looked really old when they were young...like Lee Marvin...he always looked 60...

As for looking young...
....you can see it today in all these "Hallmark" movies...at Christmas time I must have seen 50 of them...and when I google to see the actors ages ...I'm shocked...many times they are in their 40s....
like Candace Cameron-Bure....she's mid 40s playing much younger....same with Danica McKellar...also mid 40s ....still playing early 30s ...and they can get away with it ...they look younger.

My theory is no smoking....eating healthy ...and working out...and maybe also what's in food these days......some frankenstein stuff..... but you're right ...40 used to look 40 .......though I think it is a weird mix today,
almost like two groups of people....
the take care of themselves type people, looking super young and then the way overweight looking sloppy teenagers and early twenties type, looking 30 plus.

Last edited by GTB365; 01-11-2023 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-11-2023, 10:11 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Some actors play older or younger characters as they are.
Many adult actors still play kids in HS

Nowadays the actor's real age doesn't matter. They can be "made" any age they need to be.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Besides changes in self-care and racial makeup (darker people typically age better), different pipeline? Not as many live-action TV shows for kids (animation was common by the 60's), so actors seldom got started professionally in more than bit roles until around 18 or later? Child actors look younger than they are for reasons of cuteness and performance/reliability (vs. the true-to-character-age alternatives) and that often persists for decades.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-12-2023 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-12-2023, 12:47 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
It's definitely the hair, clothes, and makeup. I saw a video of Lucille Ball wearing a 60s "mod" wig and clothes in "The Lucy Show" and thought to myself, if she had only wore her hair down straight and had more stylish form fitting clothes, she wouldn't have looked as elderly as she did.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Yeah, like Tom Cruise looking in his twenties for 30 years...only lately looking closer to his age,same with Brad Pitt...he will be turning 60 this year.

Or how about The Beatles....they aged 20 years in 5 years....
look at the 1964 Beatles on Ed Sullivan ...then look at The Beatles in "Let It Be/Get Back"...or crossing that crosswalk on the 'Abbey Road" album cover.

Strange thing is that Paul McCartney (when clean shaven) kept that baby face young look well into the 1980s, by then deep into his 40s.

Other the other hand ....Keith Richards is 79 but looks about 125.
So lifestyle must have something to do with it....

I get what you are saying...some actors looked really old when they were young...like Lee Marvin...he always looked 60...

As for looking young...
....you can see it today in all these "Hallmark" movies...at Christmas time I must have seen 50 of them...and when I google to see the actors ages ...I'm shocked...many times they are in their 40s....
like Candace Cameron-Bure....she's mid 40s playing much younger....same with Danica McKellar...also mid 40s ....still playing early 30s ...and they can get away with it ...they look younger.

My theory is no smoking....eating healthy ...and working out...and maybe also what's in food these days......some frankenstein stuff..... but you're right ...40 used to look 40 .......though I think it is a weird mix today,
almost like two groups of people....
the take care of themselves type people, looking super young and then the way overweight looking sloppy teenagers and early twenties type, looking 30 plus.

Yea Candace Cameron is 46. Some people, same age, in older movies look 20 or 30 years older than her.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:57 AM

Does Kevin Cosner really look only 33 in Field of Dreams? I don't know man. Look at his wife in the movie. They seemed close in age. I would have guessed he was in his 40s or 50s if I didn't know who he was. He didn't look objectively old, but there are 33-year-olds I see in movies that look close to teenagers. Just imagine a bunch of early 30-year-olds hanging out at the bar. Couldn't picture 33-year-old Cosner with them.

It's funny because Cosner's character in FOD (Ray Consella) was 36 and I thought he was playing a little younger, not older.

Pat Morita in The Karate Kid was only 51 in the first movie. I was shocked to learn this as I thought he was closer to 80 years old. Conversely, I will admit that 24-year-old Ralph Macchio (The Karate Kid) looked no older than 14 years old in the first film. But I feel like he is an anomaly. There was an interview Macchio did when he was 30 years old and Letterman was 44. I could not shake the fact that they were only 14 years apart.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:26 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
It's not just actors. It has a lot to do with styles of the time. I look at pictures of my aunts in their 40's, and they look much older than I do at 48.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:47 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
It was everybody not only actors.

Look at old family pictures. That 85-year-old looking woman was 64 when she died.

Attitudes have changed over time. Your mindset can affect how you look more than your diet and habits, except for weight.

I see it reversing now. 50-year-old tattoos don't look good. No one's hair looks as healthy as before. Kids don't run and play so they will get fat young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities