Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:50 PM

142 posts, read 271,717 times

Advertisements

Carlin was born in New York in the year 1937. He started his career in 1956 at the age of 19 years at radio station in Boston. Since then, his work extended to cinema, TV, radio, music, books and performances in comedy clubs all over the country. At teenage, the actor started smoking marijuana; in 1970s, he used cocaine and in his last years, used painkillers and did not refuse to have drinks. He featured in films “Car Wash”, “Outrageous Fortune”, “Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey”, "Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure”, “The Prince of Tides”, “Scary Movie 3” and many other movies and dubbed for cartoon film “The Simpsons” , which is very popular in Russia. On publishing front, Carlin has made his mark, according to the critics, with two books: “Brain Droppings”, which went on to become best seller in New York and “Sometimes a Little Brain Damage Can Help”. American comedian, actor and writer George Carlin died on Sunday evening, June 22, in a hospital near Los Angeles due to heart attack, reports Associated Press. On May 12, 2008 , Carlin celebrated his 71st birthday. According to spokesperson of Carlin, the actor has been hospitalised in the afternoon on Sunday. He complained chest pains. Earlier, the comedian had already suffered from cardiac distress and also from health problems, related to his narcotic dependence. George Carlin performed on stage for more than fifty years. He published three books and written more than thirty discs. During his film career, he received “Grammy” award four times. In 2008, Carlin was conferred with Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, which was to be officially handed over to him on November 10, 2008. Provocative humor was distinctive features of books and performances of George Carlin. In 1970s, his monologue with the name “Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television” was banned from airing the show since children could catch the words.

This is a miny biography of the greatest commedian of all time.
Just want to know if anyone thinks that his style was out of line or acceptable?
I personnaly think it was acceptable and right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 06:55 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
Personally;I never really thought he was that funny. I would say his actuall success was inline with his recognition. Not in the top one hundred IMO.I did get to talk to him on a flight from Las Vegas to Houston in 1994 and he seemed much different in person and very conventional and friendly.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,629,867 times
The stuff he did in the months leading up to his death wasn't that funny really (a lot of it was more in the form of a political monologue with the occasional joke thrown in here or there) but I loved the stuff from his 'You Are All Diseased' days. Even though I don't agree with everything he said, he was a superb talent who could really get you thinking. It's such a shame that he passed away. In the grand scheme of things, 71 is way too early.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
He was talented and brave and mostly very funny.
Carlin became a bit embittered after the death of his wife, and IMHO his humor suffered a bit then.
However, he had so much to offer, and he is sorely missed.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,290,211 times
I thought George Carlin was an incredible talent and he will be missed. I prefer his humor, especially to that I hear on the West coast. He will always be one of my all-time favorites and I will ever get enough of listening to his insights. Thank you George for adding to my life.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:55 AM

161 posts, read 369,765 times
if it wasn't for Carlin's book "When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops?" which was wrongly displayed in the religious section at Walmart, I'd still be wasting time and money at a church somewhere... This turned me onto a mind much greater than mine, that I didn't realize existed from roles as The Conductor on Shining Time Station...

Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,739,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I thought George Carlin was an incredible talent and he will be missed. I prefer his humor, especially to that I hear on the West coast. He will always be one of my all-time favorites and I will ever get enough of listening to his insights. Thank you George for adding to my life.
I agree and I thought the airline announcement skit was one of his best! I saw him Las Vegas in 1992 and really had a good time!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:57 AM

11,008 posts, read 17,383,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
The stuff he did in the months leading up to his death wasn't that funny really (a lot of it was more in the form of a political monologue with the occasional joke thrown in here or there) but I loved the stuff from his 'You Are All Diseased' days. Even though I don't agree with everything he said, he was a superb talent who could really get you thinking. It's such a shame that he passed away. In the grand scheme of things, 71 is way too early.
I agree with you happy. One of the funniest things I saw of his I think was on the Johnny Carson show. He did nothing but stare at the crowd. Every now and then he would change his expression. The audience loved it! He said he was showing how much facial expressions helped what you're telling.
Of course, there's always WONDERFUL WINO RADIO! lol

Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 PM

142 posts, read 271,717 times
I really liked his comments on religion it showed me a new perspective on the religious issue so much that i believe in that there is something out there but that its not the same as what te religius ppl say

Old 12-26-2008, 04:08 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,287,343 times
Carlin will ALWAYS be one of my favorites and right at the top of my list. He may not have always been gut busting make you want to pee yourself laughing, but it was his acerbic commentary, observation of people and all our nuances that did it for me. Some times I think he and I saw the world pretty much the same way.

I still get a kick out of watching his DVDs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities