U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,503 posts, read 13,930,882 times
Reputation: 3926

Advertisements

After Bette Davis had a stroke in 1981, her beloved daughter B.D. published a book about her mother called, "My Mother's Keeper."

It was an awful book that broke Bette Davis' heart.

So what happened to her daughter?

Dailymotion - Whatever Happened to Bette's Daughter, a video from NilbogLAND. Bette, Davis, baby, Jane, problems
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM
 
616 posts, read 729,036 times
Reputation: 377
She has an online ministry and has supposedly mended her ways. Regardless of whether or not her allegations about her mother ( spoken about in her book) were true, it was a sad deal all the way around.

And usually as far as biographies and autobiographies go, most contain a little of truth mixed with fiction. People rarely tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Dallas
3,035 posts, read 4,715,508 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
She has an online ministry and has supposedly mended her ways. Regardless of whether or not her allegations about her mother ( spoken about in her book) were true, it was a sad deal all the way around.

And usually as far as biographies and autobiographies go, most contain a little of truth mixed with fiction. People rarely tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Not trying to get off topic here, but Bette's arch-rival Joan Crawford's daughter Christina wrote an awful biography on her as well. I think in reality both actresses daughters were just spoiled rotten and didnt get what they wanted, whether it be money, attention or both, so took revenge on both of them by writing these "tell all" books!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
7,891 posts, read 7,721,610 times
Reputation: 17321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Not trying to get off topic here, but Bette's arch-rival Joan Crawford's daughter Christina wrote an awful biography on her as well. I think in reality both actresses daughters were just spoiled rotten and didnt get what they wanted, whether it be money, attention or both, so took revenge on both of them by writing these "tell all" books!
I read both those books and I found the one by Crawford's daughter to be a lot more credible. Joan was notorious for being angry and often hard-hearted. But I don't think it was the same for Bette, and in her daughter's "biography" about her mother, she accentuated things that were so obvious that I didn't blame Bette for disowning her.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,503 posts, read 13,930,882 times
Reputation: 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I read both those books and I found the one by Crawford's daughter to be a lot more credible. Joan was notorious for being angry and often hard-hearted. But I don't think it was the same for Bette, and in her daughter's "biography" about her mother, she accentuated things that were so obvious that I didn't blame Bette for disowning her.
That was the feeling I got.

Bette's daughter seemed a little strange to me. I just didn't really believe her, frankly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas
3,035 posts, read 4,715,508 times
Reputation: 1820
Is the book "My Mothers Keeper" still in circulation anywhere? Just what did he daughter say in it that broke Bette's heart. I am a big fan of hers so I am interested. I have read several account's to when prevoked she could be a real b*tch, but given the times she worked in I am sure it wasnt all that uncommon in order to succeed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
7,891 posts, read 7,721,610 times
Reputation: 17321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Is the book "My Mothers Keeper" still in circulation anywhere? Just what did he daughter say in it that broke Bette's heart. I am a big fan of hers so I am interested. I have read several account's to when prevoked she could be a real b*tch, but given the times she worked in I am sure it wasnt all that uncommon in order to succeed.
I'm sure you can find it. Do you order online? I'd try Amazon.com.

I seem to remember her daughter mentioning something in the book that broke her mother's heart but can't remember it. Bette, being the woman that she was in her time, was probably not a conventional-type of mom, but she loved her daughter. It shows in the book even through her daughter's exaggerated dirt-slinging.

Crawford, on the other hand, I've a hunch was at least borderline-abusive. And she and Bette didn't like each other. In that scene in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" where Bette hisses, "You miserable old b---h!", you just feel that she meant it. Hilarious!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,861 posts, read 27,375,765 times
Reputation: 58106
It's hard to remember a time when stars actually tried to keep their private lives and problems out of the public eye....unlike now....when they just let it all hang out and have no shame.

I'm sure both Crawford and Davis had their oddities and may not have been easy to live with. I still think it is wrong for a child to write a negative book on a famous parent....regardless. Some things should just stay in the family.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
 
5,376 posts, read 11,842,210 times
Reputation: 3356
I had chills when I read that Mommy dearest one. And the movie was good too, with that over the top performance by faye dunaway. Yeah, I can believe joan crawford was a sociopath who abused her children. The story rang really true to me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,503 posts, read 13,930,882 times
Reputation: 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Is the book "My Mothers Keeper" still in circulation anywhere? Just what did he daughter say in it that broke Bette's heart. I am a big fan of hers so I am interested. I have read several account's to when prevoked she could be a real b*tch, but given the times she worked in I am sure it wasnt all that uncommon in order to succeed.
She was a tough lady. She had to be!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top