Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM

73 posts, read 231,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I always thought he [Slash] was Jewish until I read an article in a magazine somewhere about the "contribution of african americans". I mean his first name is Saul!
I have seen Slash in person and he is NOT black. He could be biracial but he is not full on black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,354,552 times
There are alot of actors, stars or personalities that I really enjoy however I have to wonder if in real life, can these people hold up to meeting them in real life. No stage makeup, no script, no special lights.

My Mother was a fan of a man called Foster Brooks. He was hysterical and if memory serves played a drunk man rather convincingly back in the day. We met him one day at the airport, he was ruder then hell and all my Mother did was tell him how she enjoyed him comedy. She didn't touch him, ask him for an autograph or anything else.

Ever since then I have thought maybe it would be best to leave them IN the TV. No one can be expected to be perfect and ON all the time.

I did used to frequent Star Trek conventions, yes I am a Sci Fi junky. It was a shock to see some of them in person, not that I didn't enjoy it and of course they were wonderful. I preferred to think of Brent Spiner as Data rather then as Brent Spiner and James Doohan as Scotty. Majel Barrett couldn't have been nicer, even took the time to get the correct spelling of my name to address me directly in my autograph. NONE of the others did that, IF they even did autographs at all at the conventions.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,126,186 times
interesting points. My daughter feels the same way. She won't read good or bad things about her favs because she said it might change how she views their work.
She and I attended a few Star Trek conventions though and yes-there are nice celebs there. She met a few and got autographs and bid on and won certain items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
There are alot of actors, stars or personalities that I really enjoy however I have to wonder if in real life, can these people hold up to meeting them in real life. No stage makeup, no script, no special lights.

My Mother was a fan of a man called Foster Brooks. He was hysterical and if memory serves played a drunk man rather convincingly back in the day. We met him one day at the airport, he was ruder then hell and all my Mother did was tell him how she enjoyed him comedy. She didn't touch him, ask him for an autograph or anything else.

Ever since then I have thought maybe it would be best to leave them IN the TV. No one can be expected to be perfect and ON all the time.

I did used to frequent Star Trek conventions, yes I am a Sci Fi junky. It was a shock to see some of them in person, not that I didn't enjoy it and of course they were wonderful. I preferred to think of Brent Spiner as Data rather then as Brent Spiner and James Doohan as Scotty. Majel Barrett couldn't have been nicer, even took the time to get the correct spelling of my name to address me directly in my autograph. NONE of the others did that, IF they even did autographs at all at the conventions.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,354,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
interesting points. My daughter feels the same way. She won't read good or bad things about her favs because she said it might change how she views their work.
She and I attended a few Star Trek conventions though and yes-there are nice celebs there. She met a few and got autographs and bid on and won certain items.
I feel like your daughter, their real lives, what religion they practice or whatever is bandied about is not something I care about. I don't like the magazines that talk about their private lives. Why do people care about that so much.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:04 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,860,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
My now wife (another ex groupie) dated Billy Gibbins from ZZ Top and can brag that she groomed his beard.
She was also very close friends with the TV sitcom wife of George Jefferson from The Jeffersons. Louise, her real name is Isabel Sanford. They hung out in the San Luis resort in Galveston Texas. She told me lots of stories where they got dirty looks and people said things because Isabel Sanford is black and we are white. They were good close friends and that hurt her.

Yikes this could get longer so I shall shut up there.

That's cool about your wife. I'm kind of the same way with bands today. I don't date them or anything like that though, lol. Just go hang out with them and talk (it's a lot different today compared to the 70s lol). I've met mostly bands/singers for this reason.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 7,672,928 times
What a great topic!! I have met:

Ron Perlman,
Micheal Fitchner (Prison Break)
Liza Minelli
Paul Schaffer and Biff Henderson
Joan Allen
Deborah Cox
Eve
John (don't remember last name, but Rachel Ray's Hubby)
Jim McMahon
many, many various athletes: Marcus Allen, John Elway, Tom Jackson Stuart Scott, just to name a very few.
Tiny Lester (Lister?) (enormous black actor in tons of movies)
Brian Regan
Donny Wahlberg

There are so many I'd still love to meet: Clive Owen, Jason Statham,....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotallica View Post
I thought this may be an interesting thread to start so here goes.In the past I have met >
Robert Englund,the guy who plays Freddy Kreuger,
Toyah Wilcox who was a really big singer through the 80's and 90's,
Leigh Francis who is an English comedian,
Ari Lehman who played the first Jason in Friday the 13th,
Andrew Bryniarski who played leatherface in the Texas chainsaw massacre the beginning,
Adam Ant the English punk rocker from the 80's,
and Simon Pegg the English movie star who played in Shaun of the dead,Hot fuzz etc.
There are so many I would love to meet but here are some >
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Bruce Willis
Clint Eastwood
Seth Macfarlane
Matt Groening
Rik Mayall
Michael J Fox
Joe pesci
and the list goes on and on.What about you?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 7,672,928 times
OMG!! I met Leaping Lenny Poffo also! Is he Randy Savage's Brother??? I thought I heard that but don't know if it was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Tupac Shakur(My 3rd cousin)
Leaping Lanny Poffo(wrestler)
Bobby Brown(Funny Story......I went over a friends house like 3 years ago for dinner,I walk into the kitchen and Bobby Brown is high or drunk.....singing and frying fish.....That was some good fish btw.)
Ralph Tresvants Grandmother and Aunt(His Aunt is actually like 6,7 years younger than him)
Derek Jeter(Met him during the All-Star game here in Pittsburgh.......Stuck up as hell)
Mayor Guiliani(Stuck up.....Met him during the all-star game in pittsburgh)

I'd like to meet
Frank Sinatra
Dalai Lama
Russel Simmons
Jay-z

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,421,547 times
My father tells a story about how he met Jim Henson when he was somewhere with my older brother. I don't recall where. My brother was about 3-4 years old at the time and was an extraordinarily friendly child. I guess Jim Henson took a liking to him and really went out of his way to entertain him. He succeeded greatly in delighting both my brother and my dad. My brother doesn't remember it, but it was a happy memory for my father.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,037,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Ha, I flew from Dallas to Cleveland to see the "Lost In Space" cast. They were all nice. Marta Kirsten "Judy" was probably the nicest. However, I met Jonathon Harris "Dr. Smith" twice and he was a trip! Even better than I expected!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,350,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Tupac Shakur(My 3rd cousin)
Leaping Lanny Poffo(wrestler)
Bobby Brown(Funny Story......I went over a friends house like 3 years ago for dinner,I walk into the kitchen and Bobby Brown is high or drunk.....singing and frying fish.....That was some good fish btw.)
Ralph Tresvants Grandmother and Aunt(His Aunt is actually like 6,7 years younger than him)
Derek Jeter(Met him during the All-Star game here in Pittsburgh.......Stuck up as hell)
Mayor Guiliani(Stuck up.....Met him during the all-star game in pittsburgh)

I'd like to meet
Frank Sinatra
Dalai Lama
Russel Simmons
Jay-z
I met Frank Sinatra and you're right to want to meet him, but you're about 11 years late. But that's interesting about Bobby Brown. Does he have Pittsburgh connections?

When I was a kid I punched Vic Damone in the balls. He was an acquaintance of my dad's, and when we ran into him in downtown Pittsburgh Vic pretended to be sparring with him. An ex-pro boxer, guys were always doing that with my dad. Anyway, I was too young to know the difference between a fight and playing and I came to my dad's aid. How do you think Vic hits all those high notes, huh?

Ths might be only of interest to you and other Pgher's but I've met Art Rooney, Fritzie Zivic and Billy Conn, two ex-champs, Willie Stargell, the sweetest guy in the world, Chuck Knoll, a nice man but just as expressionless in everyday life as he was on the sidelines, and Joe "Handyman" Negri, from Mr. Rogers. Joe did that show strictly for a payday, as you might imagine. The guy's a top-notch jazz guitarist. I've met alotta people from the worlds of sports and music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities