U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
She's as big of an icon (actually bigger IMO) as Robin Williams.
I definitely disagree with this statement. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 PM

10,013 posts, read 5,744,793 times
I agree that Joan Rivers is a bigger icon than Robin Williams. After all, she became a stand-up comedian when that field was utterly dominated by men. Recall that 'funny ladies' like Lucille Ball were not stand-up comedians. I guess the only other woman in that field was Phyliss Diller and Moms Mably (the latter, of course, was a true pioneer, both as a female stand-up comedian, and being black).

While Robin Williams was hilarious he was, when all is said and done, simply a clone of his idol, Jonathan Winters. Mr. Winters (also subject to depression) was the same type of comic (spontaneous comedy). Don Rickles, to a lesser extent, was in the same vein (he had a lot of his insults ready).

If I had a choice of whom to see in concert, Ms. Rivers of Mr. Williams, I would choose Mr. Williams. However, I do appreciate where Ms. Rivers came from.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,706,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
She's as big of an icon (actually bigger IMO) as Robin Williams. Really hope she gets well.
I have to disagree too. Because Robin Williams was an icon worldwide, thanks to his movie career. Joan Rivers is not famous in that many countries.

I wish her well.

Last edited by Sudcaro; 08-28-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree that Joan Rivers is a bigger icon than Robin Williams. After all, she became a stand-up comedian when that field was utterly dominated by men. Recall that 'funny ladies' like Lucille Ball were not stand-up comedians. I guess the only other woman in that field was Phyliss Diller and Moms Mably (the latter, of course, was a true pioneer, both as a female stand-up comedian, and being black).
It's tough to be an icon for feminism when you make a living putting down other women.

That said, I wish her a speedy recovery. I may not like her, but I don't wish her ill.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:31 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
I wonder if she is okay, or really not okay. There is really no information coming out and reportedly Melissa is on her way there from LA. I wonder if the news is bad and no announcement is being made until Melissa gets there. I read in an online article that people are gathering at Joan's apartment. That doesn't sound good to me. I really hope she's okay, though.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,009,413 times
Here is the latest on Joan Joan Rivers placed in coma after she stops breathing during medical appointment - NY Daily News

Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I wonder if she is okay, or really not okay. There is really no information coming out and reportedly Melissa is on her way there from LA. I wonder if the news is bad and no announcement is being made until Melissa gets there. I read in an online article that people are gathering at Joan's apartment. That doesn't sound good to me. I really hope she's okay, though.
She's been upgraded to stable condition. It doesn't sound as dire as it did earlier.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
She's been upgraded to stable condition. It doesn't sound as dire as it did earlier.
I just read that she's been put in a medically-induced coma and they will take her out of that this weekend and assess her condition. They don't know how long she was without oxygen.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post

sounds very very bad.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 PM

30,411 posts, read 9,092,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's tough to be an icon for feminism when you make a living putting down other women.

That said, I wish her a speedy recovery. I may not like her, but I don't wish her ill.
It would be a challenge to find a more ridiculous post. I must have missed the edict that females working in any capacity are required to be "icons for feminism." Huh?

Memo: Women have been successful in many fields since time immemorial. They never needed feminists, and they don't need to be feminists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or