U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,940,322 times

Advertisements

I am very sad about this. I have been a fan of Joan Rivers since I was a child. She is a wonderful and strong woman who made an enormously successful career for herself in a field where women were not welcomed. She's written several books, had her own talk show and her own reality show. She is a great mother and an even better grandmother. An all around amazing woman.

I cannot believe she was able to make it through all those plastic surgeries unscathed. Then, she goes in for an endoscopy of her throat, and ends up in respiratory and cardiac arrest.

I hope she pulls through. I know there are millions of people praying for her and sending her good vibes.

<3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 AM

47 posts, read 56,325 times
I've been surprised at my reaction to this news that Joan Rivers is on life support- really feeling very sad. Haven't always agreed with her targeting some celebrities for brutal criticism. And although I enjoyed most of Fashion Police, some of her double entendre was way over the top.
Still, she's so hardworking and dynamic, intelligent and creative. It's hard to think of her laid low like this.
When Robin Williams died I was unmoved; always was annoyingly hyper in my view.
But Joan Rivers, seems like such a loss.
Prayers for her and her family.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 AM

418 posts, read 399,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Joan Rivers has reportedly been put on life support - MSN TV News

What does this mean?

That when they tried to bring her out of the medically induced coma she couldn't even breath on her own?

Sounds like a lot of brain damage.

It doesn't look like she is going to make it.

I can't believe it, I really thought she was going to be OK.

It doesn't look good

I don't get why it happened unless it's a freak conscience and had she been on a sofa with tea it would have happened anyway. For someone who had major surgery so many times having a light sedation for a quick scope to die from it would be very rare, unless they made a mistake

She gave so much inspiration to women world wide and seemed an amazing person. She was just all over Italy with her grandson and travelled more than most people who are 20! so natural causes doesn't sit right with me

Old 08-31-2014, 09:55 AM

27,320 posts, read 15,070,011 times
I was never really a Joan Rivers fan when she was younger. I caught her on an episode of Celebrity Apprentice and admired her energy, drive, and sharp wit at her age. She was older than most all the other contestants - but she still had it on the ball.

I occasionally would catch her show on E and still appreciate, at 81, that she seemed to have unflagging energy.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 PM

14,334 posts, read 12,590,587 times
OK.....it looks like they are just now starting to bring Joan out of the medically induced coma.

So, things just don't look quite as bad as when we thought they had already tried to and she couldn't breathe on her own.

Do people who are put in a medically induced coma typically need life support?

Anyway, to me, it sounds like there is still hope. Fingers crossed.

Source: Joan Rivers being brought out of coma - MSN TV News

Quote:
A source tells ET that doctors started the process of bringing Joan Rivers out
of a medically induced coma yesterday.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,940,322 times
That's good news!! Let's hope Joan pulls through this, gets any therapy she may need, and gets back to her old self! Love that woman!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,385,238 times
bringing her out of the induced coma could be great news or very bad as they have no idea how long she was without oxygen to her brain. What I read indicates she could be in a vegetative state and or be wheelchair bound.

http://www.examiner.com/article/joan...ht-out-of-coma

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 09-01-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,580,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
bringing her out of the induced coma could be great news or very bad as they have no idea how long she was without oxygen to her brain.
I would think they'd have some idea. This happened during a procedure, not while she was alone somewhere.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,385,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I would think they'd have some idea. This happened during a procedure, not while she was alone somewhere.

I dunno

Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,053,442 times
I'm curious as to how a law suit would be held up in a court of law. Most physicians know that whenever patients agree to undergo any form of elective procedure which requires sedation, they are to have the patients sign a legally-binding agreement which informs them that they accept the risks of all potential bad outcomes...these include, but are not limited to: that loss of airway, suppression of respiratory drive, and yes, even cardiac arrest. This is the risk any patient takes when they undergo these forms of procedure.

I wonder how her daughter will push to have this done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or