Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 02:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,235,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
What do you think about this "advise"?

"British actor Rupert Everett, who told the British newspaper The Observer that he wishes he'd never come out.

"The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the American film business or even the Italian film business," Everett, 50, says. "It just doesn't work and you're going to hit a brick wall at some point. You're going to manage to make it roll for a certain amount of time, but at the first sign of failure they'll cut you right off."

He adds: "Honestly, I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really thinking of his career, to come out."

ABC cancels another Adam Lambert performance - CNN.com
I read this article earlier. Coincidentally, the other day I was racking my brain trying to think of the gay actor we haven't heard from lately. Now, I know it's Rupert Everett. It's a double edged sword for gay celebrities. On one hand they have pressure from gay rights groups to be spokes persons for the cause. On the other hand, with all the prejudice that still exists, they have to worry about careers Adam experienced this a couple weeks ago when OUT Magazine accused his handlers of not letting Adam be "gay enough" for the magazine cover. I think Gene Simmons said something to the effect that Adam shouldn't advertise his sexual preference. I thought Adam should be true to himself. Do you think it would be harder for the public to accept a gay actor in a romantic comedy playing the heterosexual lead? Right now, Adam's a rock star, not an actor. So I don't if you can compare Rupert with Adam.

I wonder how Adam's records sales were affected by his performance. He deserved to win AI. By winning, his album would have been released before Kris' and the AMA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,108,299 times
Adam is different. He not only has the charisma, but he also has the talent to be a superstar. Unfortunately, he happens to live in time (and honestly this is a bit shocking to me considering it's 2009) that it is still somewhat unacceptable to be gay. I keep reading statements like "I have nothing against him being gay, but I don't want it shoved in my face". But, hetero sex is in our face all the time and no one complains anymore. In fact, Liberty Counsel, a Jerry Fallwell entity, has decided to get involved with Adam's performance and a fine against ABC, but they somehow missed Janet Jackson's performance which was on much much earlier and definitely within the range of FCC sanction. Oh and while I'm on my soapbox...seriously, what is so shameful about sex anyway? Do all of these people do it with the covers pulled up and the lights off???

But back to Adam, I think that he has a certain quality that makes him attractive to so many, regardless of our preference, that he transcends the boundaries that evidently still exist for gay men in Hollywood. Did anyone notice the cute little ladies on CBS that had flown thousands of miles to see him perform?

And on yet another note...this disgusts me beyond words!
'GMA' Schedules Chris Brown After Canceling Adam Lambert | PopEater.com

Old 12-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Mookster, I was going to post the Liberty article. I totally agree with your comments on sex. Notice these uptight people are the ones that always get themselves in the headlines because they set themselves up to come crashing down off their pedestals. Liberty singles out Adam's performance, but isn't even aware of Janet Jackson's. The simulated sex acts that the Falwell rep references in Adam's performance are not strictly limited to the gay population. He makes no sense. The FCC can only be involved with Central Time Zone. It was after 10PM on the west coast. Of course, it was shielded from our innocent eyes. LOL. Adam is trying to be positive and is urging his fans not to be upset with ABC for the cancellations.
I guess it's perfectly okay to beat up your wife in real life, but make believe acts where no one is hurt are punished.
(Updated) FCC complaint is at the center of ABC's and Adam Lambert's woes | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,431,402 times
No kidding. ABC had Chris Brown instead, a beater of his gf. Beyond words. I smell old white misogynistic yet hetero boys at the helm of ABC.

But for the explicit sex on stage... I guess it's still too much for me, Madonna's masturbation was too much, grabbing someone is too much. Suggestiveness is OK to my taste. Adam's video is perfect, in that sense.

Yes, hopefully Adam's charisma will help him to transcend what Rupert Everett experienced. Rupert is no match for Adam in charisma.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:28 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,500,109 times
To me, ABC is being childish and petty. Why keep punishing him this far after the fact? You can't BE on OUR family oriented network. bah! If they want to stop offending people's delicate senibilities, get Elizabeth (our trooops are in Iraq fighting for our right to free speech) Hasslebeck off the View, but leave Adam alone. He's just getting more and more attention the more they 'punish' him! Of course, the more that people are talking about him, the more they might take a listen and discover what a phenomenal talent he is!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM

I can understand if the performance was not, as Adam pointed out, to some people's taste. If you're going censor, let's apply it across the board, not just to the gay guy. Nobody's going to convince me that this isn't out and out discrimination.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,877,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Adam is different. He not only has the charisma, but he also has the talent to be a superstar. Unfortunately, he happens to live in time (and honestly this is a bit shocking to me considering it's 2009) that it is still somewhat unacceptable to be gay. I keep reading statements like "I have nothing against him being gay, but I don't want it shoved in my face". But, hetero sex is in our face all the time and no one complains anymore. In fact, Liberty Counsel, a Jerry Fallwell entity, has decided to get involved with Adam's performance and a fine against ABC, but they somehow missed Janet Jackson's performance which was on much much earlier and definitely within the range of FCC sanction. Oh and while I'm on my soapbox...seriously, what is so shameful about sex anyway? Do all of these people do it with the covers pulled up and the lights off???

But back to Adam, I think that he has a certain quality that makes him attractive to so many, regardless of our preference, that he transcends the boundaries that evidently still exist for gay men in Hollywood. Did anyone notice the cute little ladies on CBS that had flown thousands of miles to see him perform?

And on yet another note...this disgusts me beyond words!
'GMA' Schedules Chris Brown After Canceling Adam Lambert | PopEater.com

Mookster, it's not about shame and being uptight, it's about privacy and a sense of decency. My husband and I don't hang all over each other in public - ever -- and we don't dress like sluts. Are we uptight? I assure you, we are not! Sexuality is meant to be a private affair between two people who love each other.

As for the double standard, well, I will agree with you there and I think it's wrong. I am just as disgusted by Janet Jackson parading around like a cheap **** as I am about Adam doing a tasteless sexually vulgar performance. IT IS ALL BAD AND DISGUSTING. Honestly, I'd rather watch my goats hump -- at least that seems natural, for animals. Humans are supposed to have more sophistication, more refinement, be more elevated both emotionally and spiritually. When sexuality is reduced to animalism, it's disgusting to the discerning eye. I'd like for all tasteless vulgarity to END.

I was actually so happy to see some gay commenters to a news story on the AMA performance say that they were disappointed in Adam and that his act was tasteless and would set gays back. Bravo. But I happen to have a fondness for conservative homosexuals (no, that is not an oxymoron).

I think we should keep things straight, because there are several issues getting all tangled up together. People who don't like vulgarity aren't "uptight about sex." That is the first falsehood. Adam has incredible charisma and sex appeal and I love it when he uses both -- but don't be a crass, crude animal, that's all I ask.

And what was with the flipping off his audience? How stupid and immature was that, not to mention so cliched, like how many times have we seen THAT before? Am I supposed to be shocked? I thought his interview on Ellen was promising, as there was a "hint" that maybe he understood he had used poor judgment and Ellen was helping him along in coming to that conclusion. I hope the next time I see him singing, he will be the performer I know he can be. If he dishes out more of the same, I'll lump him in with the other losers like Jackson and Spears, and I don't watch them or approve of them either.

Last thing I want to say -- I DO hope that the accusation about the double standard reaches media ears and that the end result will be a taming of all sexual performances, hetero and homo. Enough is enough already. There is nothing erotic about it.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
You know you were brave to write this
I am going to rep ya, glad that there is some back and forth. I think that we can all agree that we want him to have success. That involves pros and cons.
Keep posting chatty The glitter dazzle may cover you yet!
Thank you, 7 of 9. I do love the boy -- there should be no doubt about that.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM

And what was with the flipping off his audience? How stupid and immature was that, not to mention so cliched, like how many times have we seen THAT before?
Adam was flipping off OUT Magazine for their criticism. I heard him on the the Z100 radio interview I posted right after the AMA. He was not flipping off his audience. OUT deserves it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I turn off the TV when I see an animal abused.

Last edited by tigerlily; 12-03-2009 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
And what was with the flipping off his audience? How stupid and immature was that, not to mention so cliched, like how many times have we seen THAT before?
Adam was flipping off OUT Magazine for their criticism. I heard him on the the Z100 radio interview I posted right after the AMA. He was not flipping off his audience. OUT deserves it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I turn off the TV when I see an animal abused.
How is the tv audience supposed to know that he's flipping off OUT magazine??? That makes no sense! He can hold up a sign that says "OUT, this is for you!" and then flip them off, but I'd really rather not have to observe their personal spat, much less think that bird was for me!

Look, you can like someone without defending every wrong thing they do. Adam was wrong, in so many ways. He has a lot to learn. I hope he gets back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities