U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM

4,467 posts, read 4,209,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Went today to our Chapters store (bookstore, like Barnes&Noble) (in Halifax, no less - drove for 2 hours!) - there was a lot of June 11 copies with Lady GaGa on the cover. The poor bookish-looking clerk couldn't understand who Adam Lambert was (I felt such a puberty-stricken teenager explaining to him he was on AI) - the venereal clerk didn't watch that. I asked if there was a line of people in the morning or something - blank stare? Then again, tigerlily said it should be on the stands tomorrow, Friday. I don't think I'll do the trip again tomorrow. Today we needed to go on business. I hope many people in Halifax as unaware of Adam as the clerk - because I'm going to Halifax on Sat. again. Tomorrow, I'll try the local town of 7,000 people - maybe, just maybe? Or, maybe the magazine hits Canada later???
nuala, I read it was tomorrow. It was on RS site. I'll check again. Here's my experience: There were no copies on the shelf. Like you, I figured it was sold out already. After checking computer, the help desk person said their were twelve copies. She was fortyish and she knew all about Adam. She thought he was lucky to get second due to prejudice. The magazine guy checked in the back and brought out Lady GaGa. I said, I don't want her, I want Adam. The guy said, "I can understand that, he's fantastic". Powell's will call me when it arrives. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-11-2009, 04:23 PM

3,519 posts, read 4,230,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
nuala, I read it was tomorrow. It was on RS site. I'll check again. Here's my experience: There were no copies on the shelf. Like you, I figured it was sold out already. After checking computer, the help desk person said their were twelve copies. She was fortyish and she knew all about Adam. She thought he was lucky to get second due to prejudice. The magazine guy checked in the back and brought out Lady GaGa. I said, I don't want her, I want Adam. The guy said, "I can understand that, he's fantastic". Powell's will call me when it arrives. LOL
Maybe I should call Chapters and ask them to check how many copies they will get and reserve one. Aha!

Unread 06-11-2009, 04:29 PM

I just checked again and it's supposed to be on the stands this week. Lady Ga Ga issue is dated June 11th. They must be dated a week ahead. They probably have them in NY and LA already.

Unread 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM

OMG it worked!! Our stores get them on Monday or Tuesday - due to shipments. So, I left my name in 2 stores. If I get 2 copies I will send one to Mookie!! (Cant' rep you tigerlily yet - but thank you for putting the reservation idea in my head!!)

Unread 06-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Did you know that there is a City of Saint Lambert, in Quebec? (a great place to live for all of us! ) :

Ville de Saint-Lambert

http://maps.google.ca/maps?sourceid=...,0.884399&z=10

Unread 06-11-2009, 05:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 5,609,323 times
tigerlilly....after reading the past few posts, I checked two stores (they had no idea when they'd get the magazine w/Adam on the cover) and then called Powell's. Yes, thanks for the idea!

Powell's person spoke to two of their stores. They have the copies but won't put them on the stand until tomorrow. When he got back on the phone he was chuckling (I did not take this as a good sign -). He said 'apparently' there's a lot of interest in this issue. He said that Powell's will only get a limited # of copies and..."good luck!" Oy~~~

If I manage to get there before they're all sold out, I too will get a few copies in case anyone here can't get their's.

Good luck to us all~~~

Unread 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
tigerlilly....after reading the past few posts, I checked two stores (they had no idea when they'd get the magazine w/Adam on the cover) and then called Powell's. Yes, thanks for the idea!

Powell's person spoke to two of their stores. They have the copies but won't put them on the stand until tomorrow. When he got back on the phone he was chuckling (I did not take this as a good sign -). He said 'apparently' there's a lot of interest in this issue. He said that Powell's will only get a limited # of copies and..."good luck!" Oy~~~

If I manage to get there before they're all sold out, I too will get a few copies in case anyone here can't get their's.

Good luck to us all~~~
I absolutely love Powell's bookstore. It's true, you can get books for less at other bookstores, but Powell's is the only store that carries "used" books and I feel that makes up for the cost of buy "new" there. It's more fun browsing at a book store than ordering over the internet. I'll get extras too in case the rest of you guys have trouble. I'm leaving the house early tomorrow. LOL

Unread 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM

3,885 posts, read 4,864,377 times
True Confessions of a Cougar Cub: So, I was wandering aimlessly in the grocery store and suddenly this bright light shone down from heaven and angels started to sing because right in front of me was a single copy of ROLLING STONES WITH ADAM ON THE COVER!!! I screamed before I could help myself, from suprise or because he looks oh so fine I'm not sure... Crazy on aisle 3!!! LOL May need to switch grocery stores for a few days, but it was worth it!!

nuala, thank you so much for thinking about me!!!

Unread 06-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
True Confessions of a Cougar Cub: So, I was wandering aimlessly in the grocery store and suddenly this bright light shone down from heaven and angels started to sing because right in front of me was a single copy of ROLLING STONES WITH ADAM ON THE COVER!!! I screamed before I could help myself, from suprise or because he looks oh so fine I'm not sure... Crazy on aisle 3!!! LOL May need to switch grocery stores for a few days, but it was worth it!!

nuala, thank you so much for thinking about me!!!
Yes, only one copy left. Remember, there are other cougars and cubs on the prowl. LOL

Unread 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM

6,259 posts, read 7,661,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I absolutely love Powell's bookstore. It's true, you can get books for less at other bookstores, but Powell's is the only store that carries "used" books and I feel that makes up for the cost of buy "new" there. It's more fun browsing at a book store than ordering over the internet. I'll get extras too in case the rest of you guys have trouble. I'm leaving the house early tomorrow. LOL
Waaa.... I miss Powell's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities