Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
^^^ Best defense against that is quick wits.
Absolutely.

What gives someone attacking you more satisfaction? Watching you run away with your feelings hurt, or turning it right back around on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Miley Cyrus is such an innocent little girl! This is what she said:

It’s my favorite show! I love it!” says 15-year-old Miley Cyrus, speaking of Sex and the City over spinach-artichoke dip in a dingy Toluca Lake restaurant that for some reason, possibly native to the San Fernando Valley, is divided between cheerful families enjoying Saturday lunches and a glum row of barflies passing time by watching I-don’t-know-what on ESPN Classic.

Well a lot of teenage girls like Sex and the City. That's not the biggest deal especially if they're watching the censored version on TBS.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I guess you didn't read the whole thread before replying. Not me. Sorry.

I don't believe in censorship in any form, including what happened to Imus.
I wasn't referring to you newtoli. I was referring to the faction that would push to have Imus removed, but move to figuratively duct-tape their lips over Foxx's comments. Those double-talking scumbags.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Mr Foxx's vicious mockery and snide gutter talk are a sad example that exemplifies what is wrong with (fill in the blank with the politically correct label for his cultural milieu, breeding, and maturity). And shame on his fawning audience for applauding this behavior.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I've got a feeling that if anyone says anything against Jamie Foxx they will get rocks thrown at them... It's that double standard you mentioned...

Not exactly true. I started a thread in the Entertainment section on this very same subject. I was appalled that as a parent of a teenage female that he would make such a statement. It was wrong and offensive. The problem is, the "black" comedians get away with too much and should be held accountable to the same exact standards. It was not racial as the other comedians, however it was offensive towards a minor.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Its a controversy. That's all that is needed for it to be posted here.

I dont think it has anything to do with race. Neither did Imus though, IMO.

I can't agree with you on the Imus statement. It was racial no matter how you try to look at it. Jamie's statements were childish and offensive and wrong just the same.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This girl will be messed up by the time she is 20, I would not blame Jamie Foxx though. Her Dad, Billy Ray is a weirdo who is more than willing to pimp his own daughter for money, I mean, those pictures of Dad and little girl for that magazine were borderline incest, Billy Ray is sick.
I agree. What father poses with his daughter in pictures such as the ones published in Vanity Fair. Billy Ray is definitely a weirdo with no talent whatsoever.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Agreed. Discrimination only works in one direction as far as those guys are concerned. Don Imus catches hell over "nappy headed hoe's" but Foxx will carry on unscathed. Personally, I believe discrimination double-standard in the black community only fuels the discrimination they seek to put a stop to. You reap what you sow.

Explain to me how this was discrimination. I agree that the statement was wrong and he should be held accountable, but it was not discrimination. It was stupid and offensive and should not be equated with the IMUS statements. Yes there is a double standard but its not in the black community but with society and the powers that be that air this stuff.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I can't agree with you on the Imus statement. It was racial no matter how you try to look at it. Jamie's statements were childish and offensive and wrong just the same.

I can see how some would think "nappy headed ho" could be meant to be racist.

But,

That was kind of popular when I was in grade/middle-school. It was used on everyone, not just blacks. Back then I heard it used on so many white girls and black girls that it didnt mean anything racial to us. Just more of a put down against that particular person.

Also, I really dont think Imus meant it to be "putting down the black girls". I think he was just trying to be "hip" yet he's too old to know what he was getting himself into.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Jamie Foxx is played out. He has been around for years and has yet to do anything really worth while as far as comedy is concerned. His comedy has always been subpar in comparison to most other well known AA comedians. And I can assure you, fellow "In Living Color" alumni would not support him or these comments.

PS. Jamie is a decent actor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities