U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,557,673 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but had to open a thread on this board. Folks, you gotta see this. I watched it four times!

YouTube - Susan Boyle - Britains Got Talent 2009 Episode 1 - Saturday 11th April
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,587,415 times
Susan Boyle is the poster girl for all us middle-aged late bloomers! You go, girl!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 PM

I watched it five more times. Every time I see her, I get this chocked up feeling in my throat.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,559,933 times
Oh, I do, too. I think what really got to me, is that even the judges appeared biased because of her appearance. And I've a hunch that this woman has had to deal with this sort of thing her entire life.

Singing aside, I thought she handled herself most graciously.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,957,719 times
Yikes, my whole day off and on was watching between hers and Adam Lamberts video, Mad World!
They both rock!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:15 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,879,803 times
I am not impressed. She's good but so what. She's not great. Dont know why so many old ladies are going crazy over her.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I am not impressed. She's good but so what. She's not great. Dont know why so many old ladies are going crazy over her.
DaBeeze, I thought she was great. It was not just her singing, but her story, attitude and the words she sang. If you are not somewhat touched, I have to think you are missing something. But it's up to you what you see in things. I can't help you that.

For everyone else, Here are the lyrics. This was Fantine's song in Las Miserables, when she is destitute and all hope is gone. Susan Boyle condensed the song to remove a few lines. Here is what she sang exactly.

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame

But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,587,415 times
Quote:
Evidently you don't think Tella Kitchen and Grandma Moses were painters, either. And I suppose Julia Child couldn't cook.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:22 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,957,719 times
Quote:
Everyone thought she was great. This woman carried this beautiful voice thruought her whole life since a child and finally got it heard. It was her dream and her promise to her Mom to make something of her life! She came from a poor family of 9 children in a small village in Scotland and did not have an easy life. You can see it in her eyes! This is why her "dream come true" brought me to tears. Dreams do come true!
I am so happy for her, she is sooo deserving of her new found fame and fortune to follow! God bless her!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,879,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Everyone thought she was great. This woman carried this beautiful voice thruought her whole life since a child and finally got it heard. It was her dream and her promise to her Mom to make something of her life! She came from a poor family of 9 children in a small village in Scotland and did not have an easy life. You can see it in her eyes! This is why her "dream come true" brought me to tears. Dreams do come true!
I am so happy for her, she is sooo deserving of her new found fame and fortune to follow! God bless her!
Well I didnt know her whole story. And Ive never seen Le Miserables either so all was lost to me.

Now that I know her story, that is great. Good for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or