U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,957,857 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who is somewhat famous in our town was looking at a car. When he showed me the price it seemed kind of high. So being the good friend (not to mention my love of car shopping) I called the dealer inquiring about the same car hmmm $1000 less. By the time I finished negotiating the price came down $1900.
Want to take a guess on which price he paid
He said he runs into that a lot.
Another friend (not friends with famous friend) said "let him pay the higher price he can afford it"
I told him it's not only the money, but the fact that someone tries to take advantage.
He said I was wrong. lol So I told him there were more people that think the way I do and would ask my friends here, because they are experts on everything..
So "experts" what are your feelings ?

Should famous people pay more just because they are famous?

karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,492,252 times
No, they should make sure they actually pay their taxes....

Old 04-06-2007, 12:19 PM

536 posts, read 1,099,132 times
famous people are always getting stuff for free like thier meals at restaurants/ hotel room.. etc.. but i still dont think they should pay more than what the average ppl pay.. a price on something should be THAT PRICE regardless

Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,187,685 times
That's not right. Nobody handed anything to the famous people, they earned everything they have by doing their thing and going through some tough times, just as anyone in any field -- with greater odds. Look at Oprah & Harrison Ford... Springstein sleeping on his buddy's couch ...nobody handed these folks anything.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,962,588 times
You shouldn't be charged more OR LESS for who you are. It's not like I would complain if I was famous though.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 PM

7,549 posts, read 16,381,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
That's not right. Nobody handed anything to the famous people, they earned everything they have by doing their thing and going through some tough times, just as anyone in any field -- with greater odds. Look at Oprah & Harrison Ford... Springstein sleeping on his buddy's couch ...nobody handed these folks anything.
Britney Spears didnt work at anything, neither did any of the fools in American Idol!

'Famous' people get free stuff all the time because having a famous person eating a meal at your restaurant will earn more money for you in the long run. But no, prices shouldnt be jacked up cause someone famous is buying it. But its also for wealthy people this happens too, and Governments (which i cant got into detail about)

Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,671,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Another friend (not friends with famous friend) said "let him pay the higher price he can afford it"
I told him it's not only the money, but the fact that someone tries to take advantage.
He said I was wrong. lol So I told him there were more people that think the way I do and would ask my friends here, because they are experts on everything..
So "experts" what are your feelings ?

Should famous people pay more just because they are famous?

karla
With their thinking "let him pay the higher price he can afford it," then poor people would walk away with a new car and hardly pay anything....

You're right, of course! A fair price should be set/negotiated and applied to everyone!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,446,774 times
Famous people shouldn't be charged more than anyone else. However people who "think" they are famous should be charged double the price!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:03 PM

489 posts, read 1,859,116 times
No one should be charged more or less because of their status. Fair is fair. I'm with you karla.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,957,857 times
Thanks everyone for your imput
the thing that impresses me so much about my friend is his values.
I asked him what he "splurged" on when he signed his contract, he said nothing. he was so use to not having money while growing up that he didn't want to make the mistake a lot of people do and go crazy.
He has no credit cards he said he has seen to many people get in trouble with them. He has great credit and yay poprocks (he pays his taxes)
He is now looking to set up a foundation to help either kids or folks with cancer. I keep telling him he would be a great role model for the inner city kids here in town. lol He called me "ma'am" for weeks after we first met, I kept telling him to call me Karla but he said thats how he was raised.
I guess you can tell I am pretty proud of my 25 yr old friend. lol I told him I was his "adopted" mom since his was so far away.

I am so glad to see that I can go to my friend and say "the experts" have spoken you are soooo wrong. There are more of us than of you " tee hee

I have said it before but will say it again
we have some pretty good folks here
karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities