U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,076 posts, read 7,037,094 times
Reputation: 3382

Advertisements

The ESPN Zone in downtown Los Angeles is across the street from the Staples Center, where Jackson's memorial will be held. The folks there tell us they are expecting a huge crowd and they will even show the service on their screens -- the first time a non-sports event has been shown in an ESPN Zone since 9/11.
ESPN Zone -- This Is Michael Jackson's Memorial - TMZ.com
TV Schedule for MJ's Memorial:
Television networks planning Jackson coverage - Salon.com | News Wires (http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/entertainment/2009/07/04/D997RI702_us_michael_jackson_tv/print.html - broken link)

 
Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 AM
 
1,670 posts, read 5,695,159 times
Reputation: 1178
Many stations will tune into MJ's Memorial. If you are looking for numbers in whose watching, most stations will broadcast to capitalize. You will also see a slowdown on the internet on Tuesday as well. For all those who are at work, they will be watching from their desks. For about two hours the world will be quiet.
 
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
Reputation: 7615
IMO...you're over-exaggerating the impact. This is truly a bigger deal on the west coast, as opposed to the rest of the country.
 
Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
Reputation: 7615
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The ESPN Zone in downtown Los Angeles is across the street from the Staples Center, where Jackson's memorial will be held. The folks there tell us they are expecting a huge crowd and they will even show the service on their screens -- the first time a non-sports event has been shown in an ESPN Zone since 9/11.
ESPN Zone -- This Is Michael Jackson's Memorial - TMZ.com
TV Schedule for MJ's Memorial:
Television networks planning Jackson coverage - Salon.com | News Wires (http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/entertainment/2009/07/04/D997RI702_us_michael_jackson_tv/print.html - broken link)
Brilliant marketing tool...I bet the bar will be hoppin!
 
Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
Reputation: 10491
This is shaping up to be a bigger memorial than the Pope John Paul's. Just saw reports that as many as million people may come to LA (Many from other countries) for the memorial.
 
Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,076 posts, read 7,037,094 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Brilliant marketing tool...I bet the bar will be hoppin!
Street vendors, food carts, etc. may make enough to carry them through the year.
 
Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Street vendors, food carts, etc. may make enough to carry them through the year.
They will not be allowing people to get anywhere close to the Staples Center area unless they have the wristband. Lot of street vendors are not really happy about it. Officials are worried that several hundred thousand people will flock to the streets outside the Staples center area. This is why they are blocking it off for wrist band holders only.
 
Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,076 posts, read 7,037,094 times
Reputation: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
They will not be allowing people to get anywhere close to the Staples Center area unless they have the wristband. Lot of street vendors are not really happy about it. Officials are worried that several hundred thousand people will flock to the streets outside the Staples center area. This is why they are blocking it off for wrist band holders only.
Okay. I'm not familiar with L.A. laws concerning vendors. Where are all the thousands of other people without tickets going to locate? Can't the vendors move there? Just asking?
 
Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Okay. I'm not familiar with L.A. laws concerning vendors. Where are all the thousands of other people without tickets going to locate? Can't the vendors move there? Just asking?
They are specifically stating that if you do not have tickets, you will not be allowed anywhere near Staples Center. No cars and no street traffic. I dont know how they are going to pull this off. They will not be showing the memorial on the big screens outside of Staples because they worry that a millionpeople will pack the streets. Vendors will probably have to set up shop several blocks away.
 
Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
Reputation: 7615
Doesn't it bother anyone that everybody's just trying to make a buck off Michael Jackson...even in death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top