Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Let's not confuse talent with popularity.
couldn't agree more. MJ was to entertainment what the Flowbee was to hair care and Rubik's Cube was to physics.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:24 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Clearly....NOT

Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
I believe the most POPULAR entertainer of all time. MJ was worldwide--it doesn't get any bigger than that. Everybody else was mainly popular in Western Culture.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:34 PM

723 posts, read 1,633,824 times
Seeing as how I was never entertained by him, I'd say no way. I never liked his solo music or his song writing. I thought his dancing looked very silly, and I never understood what anyone ever saw in him, so my answer is a big fat NO.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
That's a sort of slap in the face to all entertainers ever, including the Vaudeville days, the Big Band era of Lucille Ball, and every other singer, composer, actor ever on stage or theater.

Entertainer just seems too broad a term. Lucille Ball was an entertainer of another kind, and certainly among the elite in her genre and time imho.

I think entertainers should be restricted to their time era, since it was different during each decade and the world was very different in its needs at those times. Had the Jacksons existed during the 40s, I doubt MJ would have ever been known at all. In contrast if Ms Ball lived now she may not be as successful. I'm just saying for THAT time era, that person was the best perhaps.

Saying he was the best of the 1980s, maybe the 90s. okay..maaaybe, but of all time? Not to me. I have a plethora of favorite actors and singers and performers I'd pick over MJ any day. No offence to him or the fans. I just think a month or two ago, no one would have been as fast to agree that he was the greatest of all time.
no definitely not the greatest--maybe one of the top most screwed up--although that is a top heavy category

Old 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
I dunno...if you look at it in terms of worldwide impact, I don't think there was anything like him before (Beatles and Elvis don't come close). That, coupled with his insane technical talent - singing like a pro at 10, and not just copying others...the guy was a prodigy/genius. And he revolutionized pop dancing with his moves. To this day, all those people that are "popping" etc. are basically going off what he did. You also have to remember that he really influenced choreography in "street" type dancing. He just kinda changed what pop music was all about - and nobody has matched him unfortunately in terms of raw talent and genius.
The Beatles don't come close? What planet are you from? And Elvis? Not close? Both continue to sell worldwide much after their creative periods ended and they didn't have the "benefit" of the modern video / digital musical world. Will MJ be relevant that far into the future? We'll see. Yes. Original dancer. And street dancing will never be the same but so what? He peaked as a singer early on and without the dances moves and huge supporting performance cast, he'd be mediocre at best, musically speaking. Like many acts today. Strip them of the massive stage shows, dancers and effects and you have little left. I mean look at Beyonce. Great looking but mediocre voice and no other musical talent. All too typical these days. Madonna? The same. Janet Jackson? Ditto. Etc., etc. etc.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I believe the most POPULAR entertainer of all time. MJ was worldwide--it doesn't get any bigger than that. Everybody else was mainly popular in Western Culture.
Huh? Don't Elvis and the Beatles continue to be worldwide.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I don't know how you can claim that the Beatles don't come close in worldwide impact. Arguably, it was the Beatles who really broke rock music on a worldwide basis, achieving phenominal popularity throughout Europe, Asia, Australia and North America via tours and record sales, not to mention making some of the first Music Videos (for broadcast on Ed Sullivan and similar shows). The 60s were arguably the most dynamic of all decades regarding musical innovation (British Invasion, Motown, Stax, Psychadelia, folk-rock, etc...) and the Beatles were the dominant musical force of that decade from 1964 until they split in 1970.

I'm not discounting Michael Jackson's popularity, especially in other countries (which was greatly enhanced by the more globalized era we now live in), but the Beatles influence is still present 40+ years later, as indicated by their strong record sales.
the Beatles were very revolutionary as well. Plus they didn't have MTV, Sat. TV, and the various media outlets that MJ had.

they also really didn't record over a very long period, heck, they weren't even together that long as a band. Not when you consider todays bands and all the reunion tours because there's so much money out there.

the Beatles released albums from 63' to 70, only 7 years although obviously we do have more (live at the BBC, etc.).

Think of how long U2, my modern day favorite, have been together. if we only had U2's first seven years we'd only have Boy, October,War, Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree. That's it. How highly would the be regarded if that was their haul? How often do U2 fans listen to thier first 3 albums?

The Beatles were mighty prodigious if anything. I think that period they recorded they recorded alot and recorded amazing stuff. From "she loves you" to the mid-period albums like Revolver or Rubber Sole to the more psycadellic era to more mature later period I really think the Beatles covered so much ground. They did ballads, love songs, rock n' roll, blues, 6/8 time, pretty much everything.

bottom line; I think it's hard to compare eras, MJ is surely one of the biggest but so were the Beatles and Elvis.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM

646 posts, read 801,249 times
MJ does not come close to Elvis,Elvis sold over 1 billion albums before mtv,when the total population was way lower then in MJ's day,you may not like his music but what Elvis did for music,you can't compare noone to him.He had platinum albums in 4 different catagories,rock,country,christmas and gospel

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,522 times
I heard about how mj has sold so many albums after his death and the sales of John Lennon music after his death couldn't compare-well come on when Lennon died there was no internet for buying online or I tunes or u tube. Let's not forget the way the Beatles changed the world musically and culturaly(sp)-who knows mj might not have been as great if not for the Beatles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities