Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times

Advertisements

Richard Jeni killed himself not that long ago, and I was a huge fan of his as he was just brilliantly funny. Watch some of his bits on YouTube if you are really into comedy.
Sam Kinison, killed in an auto accident, who screamed most of the time really wasn't all that funny. I counted the laughs per minute and they are few and far between.
Bill Hicks who died of pancreatic cancer 10 years ago and now people are proclaiming a genius is just angry...and boring to me. I don't think he's funny at all and just don't get where people say he is.
Is there another comic buff on this board that has an opinion on these 3 comedians? I would love to get someone else's take on these 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Richard Jeni killed himself not that long ago, and I was a huge fan of his as he was just brilliantly funny. Watch some of his bits on YouTube if you are really into comedy.
I was just thinking about Richard Jeni the other day. He was brilliant the couple times I saw him on HBO. Really a funny guy.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 AM

There is a memorial Elayne Boosler gave at his funeral (I'm guessing here) about Richard Jeni, and you can easily find it by putting her name and Richard Jeni's in your search bar. She says that he was brilliant and saw people like Carlos Mencia (who steals material: look at You Tube and you will see how bad he is) get further ahead. She wondered if this led to his depression.
As for me, I thought Jeni was a genius and one of the funniest people I ever saw. So clever, so relatable and a genius.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I liked Jeni.

I like Kinison, if you listen to his material he was very smart, extremely witty, and a brilliant comic when ranting about current events, politics, and religion. Being a former baptist preacher, he was able to tie in a lot of religious references to his material which was taboo for many, but brilliant none the less.

I did not find Hicks funny at all. He bored me, and came off as a softer version of Kinison, but without the comedic edge, just an angry guy. I think some of his material would have been funnier if someone else was delivering the lines.

Another guy who I never thought was all that funny was Mitch Hedberg. I think he also got a lot more notoriety after dying, and was extremely overrated. He was doing Steven Wright's style of dry musings, while playing to the stoner crowd. You had to be high to laugh at his routine. Wright is way funnier.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
i like jeni

I also think that kinison was way more than yelling - although the yelling and screaming led to his notoriety, his genius was in the wit and intelligence the guy had

i like steven wright, but also really like hedberg - liked him before he died as well

Old 10-21-2009, 03:02 PM

Hedberg got off 6 jokes a minute = 360 jokes in an hour. Now that really takes talent! I liked him and admire his work ethic, but he isn't so funny to me as Jeni. It was his ability to write that much funny--but fire them off one after another for an entire hour straight--that caused other comics to admire him so much. He really was bright. THAT is what has him in the comic's hall of fame somewhere.
Kinison got off some good ones, but his screaming got on my nerves. When he did say something funny, it was really funny for sure. I, personally, just think Sam Kinison was just likeable more than he was really funny.
I'm still working on why people liked Bill Hicks. His anger, his rudeness just doesn't sing with me. Maybe if I look at more of his stuff I will "get it." Right now, I just don't see it at all. I'll keep trying.
I do know he started at 15 in a Houston club (much like Sam Kinison did).

Old 10-21-2009, 04:46 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
I remember Kinison well. On TV appearances (cable, so not much was censored) I thought he was pretty hilarious. Then I bought his LP at the time and didn't find it funny at all. His screaming and rambling literally masked what could have been funny content, and a co-worker who also bought the recording shared the very same opinion.

Today, I wouldn't find him funny at all, ever. Tastes change.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:32 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
Richard Jeni was a favorite. I know depression can do terrible things to a person. His death was a tragedy. I thought Sam Kinison was hilarious. I grew up having to go to a church where the preacher sounded a lot like Kinison, which made the comic even funnier. I remember the name Bill Hicks, but not my opinion of his comedy. I looked him up and he died of pancreatic cancer at the very young age of 32.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:58 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,888 times
I liked Kinison. The other two, not at all.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:30 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
I didn't know the first one offed himself-- IMO, totally unfunny.

Sam? Obnoxious and sad little fellow.

I don't remember the other one.

I prefer Pryor, Martin, and Cosby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities