Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times

Advertisements

Alec Baldwin to bid farewell to acting when '30 Rock' stint ends in 2012

BY Helen Kennedy
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Sunday, November 29th 2009, 4:00 AM

Alec Baldwin tells Men's Journal he's looking to hang up his acting chops when his run on '30 Rock' concludes in 2012.

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Alec Baldwin says he's quitting showbiz after his "30 Rock" contract is up in 2012.
"I don't have any interest in acting anymore," the two-time Emmy winner from Massapequa, L.I., said in an interview for the upcoming issue of Men's Journal. "Movies are part of my past. It's been 30 years. I'm not young, but I have time to do something else."
Baldwin, 51 and famously opinionated, has frequently mused about running for office.
He has one more movie coming out: "It's Complicated," with Meryl Streep and Steve Martin, which opens Christmas Day.
Despite his critically acclaimed 1990s performances in "The Hunt for Red October," "Glengarry Glen Ross" and "Miami Blues," Baldwin said he has been unsuccessful.
"It's a difficult thing to say, but I believe it: I consider my entire movie career a complete failure. I'll tell you why. The goal of moviemaking is to star in a film where your performance drives the film, and the film is either a soaring critical or commercial success, and I never had that."
He said he tried to quit his NBC show, a critical darling now in its fourth season, in 2007 after the humiliation of a nasty voice mail he left for his daughter - he called her a "rude, thoughtless little pig" - being made public.
"I feel the consequences of that every day," he told Men's Journal.
Baldwin, who has warred with ex-wife Kim Basinger over access to his daughter and wrote a book about parental alienation, says he considered suicide at the time. "I was going to put the hose in the most noxious of the cars I own, a Jeep, take some sleeping pills, and take a nice nap in the front seat of my car in the garage," he said.
Baldwin's battles with Basinger also led to a recent breakup with his girlfriend of seven years. "I don't mind," he said. "I'd rather be lonely than wrong."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 45,347 times
Who cares? Maybe he can become a child-harassing telemarketer.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepten View Post
Who cares? Maybe he can become a child-harassing telemarketer.
Seriously.

I'm sure if he ran for office on LI he'd get elected. Par for the course around here.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:25 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
So, since he hasn't become a box office movie star he's hanging it up? I guess it isn't enough to be a millionaire TV star with a steady acting career? I'm sure a lot of aspiring actors more talented than Alec Baldwin would be happy for a career half as successful.
That's kind of like Barbara Streisand not ever singing anymore. Most people could die happy if they could, just once, stand on a stage and sing like BS. But she's just over it, so too bad fans.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:31 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times
Isn't he one of the nutcases that believes 2012 is the end?

Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I like him, too. He's a very talented actor, and that's all I'm concerned with when I say I like a particular actor or singer or whatever. But I'm not buying this business of 'being done with acting.' Has anyone here every known a world-famous actor who gave it all up for good? Even Brando couldn't do it!

Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I like him, too. He's a very talented actor, and that's all I'm concerned with when I say I like a particular actor or singer or whatever. But I'm not buying this business of 'being done with acting.' Has anyone here every known a world-famous actor who gave it all up for good? Even Brando couldn't do it!
I adore Alec Baldwin and find him extremely sexy. He's the lead male in the new Meryl Streep movie. Hardly washed up.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I hope he doesn't go into politics.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
Darn... I gotta wait that long? Bummer.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Isn't he one of the nutcases that believes 2012 is the end?
No. You might be thinking of his brother Steven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities