Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:09 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think it may have been a bad career move. She could have come out of the Brown issue acting really classy and it would've served her better in the long run. Now she comes off like another horny teenager. Start the fame countdown clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
Citizen, can't knock Diana for what she has accomplished but don't think she was that good of a singer/performer. She was/is very mainstream.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Citizen, can't knock Diana for what she has accomplished but don't think she was that good of a singer/performer. She was/is very mainstream.

She wasn't Aretha.......but she was very good. And the way she presented herself on stage is the main issue.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 PM

First of all many of the real entertainers/singers would clearly disagree with you. She could never give a Tina Turner like performance, something that kept one entertained from start to finish and vocally she didn't have the range as Aretha and or any singer of her time. Many entertainers of her era had to do it all, and Diana clearly sang through her nose. Diana wasn't the singer in the group and everyone knows this. But she of course had the commercial appeal that made her a star and pushed everyone behind.Her presentation on stage truly boring except when she stepped on group members toes. Have you ever seen her live?

Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
First of all many of the real entertainers/singers would clearly disagree with you. She could never give a Tina Turner like performance, something that kept one entertained from start to finish and vocally she didn't have the range as Aretha and or any singer of her time. Many entertainers of her era had to do it all, and Diana clearly sang through her nose. Diana wasn't the singer in the group and everyone knows this. But she of course had the commercial appeal that made her a star and pushed everyone behind.Her presentation on stage truly boring except when she stepped on group members toes. Have you ever seen her live?

You're missing the whole point of the Riahhna types versus the old school. I just plucked Diana outta a generation where sex wasn't on the menu....dig??? Talent a presentation were. Use Gladys Knight if you want............This is not an analysis of Diana Ross.

I've seen her live on HBO. She sounded good.

No...she's not a vocal giant like: Tina, Aretha or Gladys. But she didn't have to be. And her style was more sultry......and better that most pop tarts out there today. She didn't need that robot voice they have everybody using today.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 AM

Ok, I see your point. But Diana was selling sex too but not all up in your face like it is now.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, I see your point. But Diana was selling sex too but not all up in your face like it is now.

Oh good grief..........

Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 PM

I think you just like to argue and I am the only one willing to go back and forth with you. Look at anyone of her films what was she selling? Not her acting ability. She was at the time viewed as a sex symbol. The hair, make up, and outfits seem pretty tame but back then when most people were singing church music and Diana was wearing short skirts it was a big deal. Do your research please, and or stop trying to rant with me. I'm loosing any type of point you are trying to make.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I think you just like to argue and I am the only one willing to go back and forth with you. Look at anyone of her films what was she selling? Not her acting ability. She was at the time viewed as a sex symbol. The hair, make up, and outfits seem pretty tame but back then when most people were singing church music and Diana was wearing short skirts it was a big deal. Do your research please, and or stop trying to rant with me. I'm loosing any type of point you are trying to make.
Apples to apples.......the photos I presented are an accurate comparison to the Riahnnas of our time. The supremes were in their early 20's. They were not selling sex. They were selling music.

What diana did later in her career was still tame compared to what they do now!

I don't like to argue. But I think you are being somewhat "obtuse" on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities