Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,965,390 times

Advertisements

I was an extra in a tv movie with Moira Kelly. Very friendly and outgoing. At lunch one day one of the extras at my table dared another to talk to her as she walked by (despite stern warnings not to bother the leads). She not only responded she stopped to talk with us for quite a bit. Later we were shooting outside and I happened to be nearby as she talked the sound guy's ear off between takes. He looked bored and a little annoyed. LOL

I don't know if this counts but one day I was walking down Mass Street in Lawrence and looked up to see Kirk Hinrich who I think was still playing for the Jayhawks at the time. He noticed my shocked look. I'm a huge fan of KU fan and really liked the smart way he played. He smiled a little and gave a nod of acknowledgement as we passed each other. Just a little thing, but it struck me as gracious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,858,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I was an extra in a tv movie with Moira Kelly. Very friendly and outgoing. At lunch one day one of the extras at my table dared another to talk to her as she walked by (despite stern warnings not to bother the leads). She not only responded she stopped to talk with us for quite a bit. Later we were shooting outside and I happened to be nearby as she talked the sound guy's ear off between takes. He looked bored and a little annoyed. LOL

I heard she's nice too. She went to my sister's youth group when my sister was a teenager. It was right after she made The Cutting Edge.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 PM

4,583 posts, read 4,260,468 times
Mike Rowe used to come into where I worked all the time. He's the same on TV as in person. Very cute, friendly, and very very witty. I used to blush when I talked to him. God I hate that.
I also was privileged to have dinner with Dan Lauria/The Wonder Years with some family. He looks fantastic and he practically smiled the whole time. He was quite interesting, talked a lot about the show and how he got started, and what he's doing now. My son actually played golf with him. He's very friendly and down to earth. I wanted to ask for a photo with him so bad but didn't want to spoil, the proverbial dinner. I did get a ton of autographed pictures from Mike Rowe. He loved it though.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:32 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,298,337 times
I think a lot of celebs are refusing the autograph thing lately, is because they just end up on ebay the next day. Something about the photos too... I know I went to an autograph signing at a store with my son for a local NFH team athlete, and they signed the football but legally could not allow me to take a photo for some reason?
I have never met a celeb, but I did see several in downtown chicago on various occasions.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:27 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,014,971 times
I grew up down the street from Clint Black. I would hear him and his brothers playing music in the garage while we played baseball in front of his house. He was extremely nice and friendly. I haven't met him since he became famous (though I would love to go to a concert and meet him) but I doubt fame changed him much.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,435,932 times
I spent many a wonderful day at the beach with Mary Louise Parker. What a wonderful young lady!!!! She can really bake delicious cakes and brownies too!
The most obnoxious celeb I've met,by far, was Jack LaLanne. The old fitness dude and current Juicer pitchman. We used to imbibe at the same dockside tavern in Morro Bay California. He would get well lit on most days. White wine.Obnoxious,touchy-feely,slobbering and foul mouthed. He was trying one night to coax me into hitting on a woman who I knew very well was married. When I refused he actually grabbed me by the cohones and said "are you a man Dr. Dan?" I removed his hand from my crotch, grabbed him by the shirt collar and lean him up against the bar and told him if he ever laid a hand on me again one of the fishing trawlers leaving Morro Bay would have some extra bait on board!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,383,133 times
I am so jealous of anyone who gets to spend some time with Mike Rowe. Seems like such an all around nice guy. And if he takes his shirt off..all the more fun.

I didn't exactly have the pleasure of meeting, but did have a best friend who lived next door to Screech from Saved by the Bell. This was after his Screech days were over. He left a note on my car for parking in front of his home...on a public street. He got a note back from me. He used to spy on us by peeking out his windows oblivious to the fact that lights were on behind him. It was a very middle class neighborhood and poking fun at him was up for grabs. He seemed very aloof, very full of himself.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,807,934 times
Oh yeah -- boss at my last job lived next to Brian Wilson until he and his wife split up (I guess the wife got to keep the house and still lives there). Says BW is a seriously weird dude, apparently a bit screwed up from years of substance abuse. And he never did get a straight answer as to why the hell a Beach Boy would move from California to the far-flung Chicago suburbs.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,395,324 times
I exchanged many e-mails and MySpace messages with '80s comedian/has-been Emo Philips. We got into a rather deep exchange about the spiritual side of life. He is very very black & white - if you can't see it, it doesn't exist. That's how some people are.

I could go on a while, but the biggest words that sum him up - Upbeat and Insincere.
Both traits at the same time are rather sickening.

I have very good instincts about people, even online. He's kind of a puke. You can tell he has little or no respect for anyone who thinks differently than he does.
(I could tell that immediately when he insulted a woman that I know. He flat out said to me that she is "not someone I would ever want to know"... merely based on the second-hand account from me about how she lives her life and her spiritual beliefs.)

I feel very honored not to have wasted any money to see his show or attempt to meet him in person.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,545,229 times
Long before I knew her, my current wife was close friends with Isabel Sanford who played Louise Jefferson on the 80s hit sitcom The Jeffersons. Isabel lived in a still famous hotel resort in Galveston Texas. My wife worked at the hotel where many famous people stayed but Isabel lived there full time.

They used to go out for drinks and hang out. Isabel is black and my wife is white (as I am) and she told me some horrible stories of comments people made to them. Things I can't repeat here but comments racially motivated. Lots of comments about why she was hanging out with a black woman. Stupid things that make her sick even today when she talks about it. Wifey says to tell everyone that Isabel was the nicest person and fun to hang out with. They long since lost touch.

Personally I did not like the show but did like when George Jefferson visited Archie on All in the Family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities