Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:16 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Too many good folks passed away this year, here are some links to lists, add more if you have them.

Anyone in particular you are most bummed about? For me, the loss of Walter Cronkite was a bummer.

L.A. Times List of 2009 Obits (http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/notable-deaths-2009/ - broken link)

NY Times List of "Arts" celebrities who passed, with a listing by month/date.

Wikipedia has a massive listing of famous persons who passed in 2009.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:31 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
... Anyone in particular you are most bummed about? For me, the loss of Walter Cronkite was a bummer ...
Cronkite was for me too, because I associate him with big events in my life such as the Kennedy assassination and the Apollo landing on the moon.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
My biggest losses were Koko Taylor (who I saw in concert twice and whose music I love) and David Carradine. I very sad for Michael Jackson but he really did turn himself into a freakshow.

I did not know that Ingemar Johanssen passed. I remember him as a child (I grew up in a family of boxing fans).

Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
The ones that affected me in some way or another...

Natasha Richardson's death saddened me. She was a great actress.

Patrick Swayze's death ...very sad, such a great human being and a terrific actor.

Michael Jackson's death shocked me. As much as he contributed to his early demise, I still never expected it. He was a great musician and performer.

Brittany Murphy---shocking and sad because she was so young.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
We all gotta go sometime...one way or another. It's inevitable.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson and Patrick Swayze - I watched them act/perform while I was growing up. It just seemed very early for them to go..

Old 12-29-2009, 02:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
One of the most delightful, engaging people it has ever been my privilege to encounter (just a year prior), Michael Finocchiaro passed this past May. Better known as Mickey Carroll, this gentleman could engage one for hours with his sharp memory into his late 80s and wonderful personality. He was the "Main" Munchkin in The Wizard of Oz with the speaking roles/characters as most of the rest were from Germany (US citizen child working laws) and they didn't speak English. AVID St Louis Cards baseball fan his entire life (and Al Capone's Godson -- He probably gave me enough great trivia over a week's conversations at Spring training that I could end up in Bill Gates' income bracket via "Bar Bets" )

A truly good guy.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
I'm still sad about Michael Jackson. Still cannot believe he is gone. I actually thought about his kids on Xmas and wondered how they're doing. I feel so bad for them.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:25 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
At first, I was very surprised and kind of saddened by the death of TV pitchman Billy Mays.

The guy seems to have been around forever selling stuff on TV and it seems this year he was really coming into his own. They had the TV show (Pitchmen) that was pretty good and there was an exposure into Billy Mays the person, rather than just the guy on TV.

His sudden passing was a shock. Even more shocking was the report of cocaine being a (minor) contributing factor in his death.

What a shame...

Last edited by Stripes17; 12-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
The New York Times has another great listing on their page today, with a drop down menu to sort it by the career type of the deceased. There were links to their lists for 2008 and 2007 as well. Extremely well done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities