Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:05 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
This is my point exactly!!!!!!!!!! Monique and entertainer like her are just that. No more or no less for me. She's on tv to make us laugh. They don't like her.

To YOU, that's all she is. To others, she is more than that. Whether that's fair ain't relevent! It's a fact! It's a package deal that goes with the fame. It's a responsibility not only to yourself but to your audience!!

People in her position should represent themselves well. You can make us laugh without being crass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Women women women!!!

Hi hata i see you!!! :d

Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM

72 posts, read 142,027 times
Sometimes I like her but sometimes she gets on my nerves.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 PM

188 posts, read 406,156 times
Wow, I know she's loud, but my goodness, I didnt know she deserved this type of bashing. I was just talking about her the other day... About how loud she is and how much she says "Baby", "yes baby, "okay baby'. But thats just Monique guys.. One thing I do like about her is she's down to earth, she would refer to everyone of us as "sistah" or "brotha", and truly mean it. Does loud always have mean ghetto? She likes to laugh and have a good time, and express herself. Im just so tired of us being hard on us. I really dont even care that much about her, but I dont hate her either...Give that woman a break.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
When did I say anything about looking for the next leader, in this whole discussion!???

I'm just asking that those of us who have a platform and mass exposure, just act with some frikkin' dignity! I AIN'T ASKIN' THEM TO LEAD ME!! Just stop actin' Ghetto and vulgar! To expand their vocab beyond cuss words!!
?
You need to take it down a notch or two...it was you who stated that used the word role model so I could understand how other posters may conclude that you are saying Monique is a role model (albeit a bad one)

I personally think that's a huge problem the black community has right there. Every time somebody's on television they suddenly become a role model or the voice for black people or some other nonsense. Monique is an entertainer. That's what she gets paid to do. Giving her any other title means you're paying way too much attention to her and giving her wayyyyyy too much credit

Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM

99 posts, read 151,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Women women women!!!

Hi hata i see you!!! :d

Funny! I love Mo. She's funny and doing her thing. I wish her continued success.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You need to take it down a notch or two...it was you who stated that used the word role model so I could understand how other posters may conclude that you are saying Monique is a role model (albeit a bad one)

I personally think that's a huge problem the black community has right there. Every time somebody's on television they suddenly become a role model or the voice for black people or some other nonsense. Monique is an entertainer. That's what she gets paid to do. Giving her any other title means you're paying way too much attention to her and giving her wayyyyyy too much credit

That is so true. How can someone who is playing a role be a role model? Role models start at home. Be a role model for your children or the children in your own community.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

Because it comes with the fame. It doesn't matter if it makes sense or if it's fair! It's a package deal! Like it or not.....preople will want to emulate you! They have to be responsible.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 AM

There's a difference between role models and trendsetters.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
That is so true. How can someone who is playing a role be a role model? Role models start at home. Be a role model for your children or the children in your own community.

Role models begin at home........But they don't end there.

Oh...by the way......"some" kids don't even have them at HOME!

Ween you achieve a certain high profile level of success, you automatically become a blueprint for others who are aspiring. "How did so and so do it?" "Where did they go to school?" "Did they go to school at all?" "How do they dress?" "How do they talk?"

All of these are looked at by the young and aspiring. and they will copy it!

It's always been that way. Not just with our folk! White kids started wearing Elvis style hair.....then they copped the shaggy Beatles look....and the suits.....

The image is a powerful thing. Why do you think Madison avenue spends so much time crafting these for celebs??

In the black community where parents are more challenged because of the out of wedlock birth rates and divorce, we have no margin for error. We need more positive images than negative! Because chances are there are no role models at home. So little Denise gets her ques on how to carry herself like a woman from someone she admires.....it happens to be Monique. Loud....crass....ebonically challenged....

The outcome is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities