Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 AM

444 posts, read 799,416 times

Advertisements

Suicide is something that devastates a family for the rest of their lives. I pray that the Osmond family will be able to heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
I read it had to with the Michael feeling that he had no friends. What the hell has happened to this country? Are we such a My Space/Facebook kind of culture that having no friends is so bad that one might consider suicide? I'm kind of repulsed actually. This is what I read... Michael felt alone and unpopular. That is so terrible. No one should feel bad about themselves just because they don't have many friends. Someone needed to shake some sense in to him.

Nothing against the Osmonds, I have been a huge fan my whole life, but I think the Mormon culture puts too much emphasis on being well liked. The family thing is fine and healthy imo. I lived in Salt Lake for three and a half years and it seemed to me that being well liked/respected/included a big deal to them.

Maybe though family was not enough for him and he did not feel close to the family which caused him to feel that he needed more from others.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:10 PM

75 posts, read 197,466 times
Repulsed? Are you serious?? It's not like he left a note that said "OMG. So and so ignored my FB request. I've had it with not having the mostest friends on the web!" ...have you ever dealt with serious depression? He struggled with it for a long time. To feel like you have not one soul in the world to confide in or relate to, or that nobody will ever understand you.. what does that have to do with social networking? Humans need personal connections and relationships. I'm sure a lot of emotions and different situations piled up on him to make him find suicide as the right answer. His feelings of loneliness may have been a reason he listed, but when you're dealing with a mental illness like that it's not that you feel like you don't have good friends one day and decide to end it, that's just more or less the straw that broke the camels back... I feel so bad for the family, and I hope they find strength in one another as they deal with this.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
It's probably because of the Mormon church and the fact that Michael was gay.. So extremely depressing. I lived in Salt Lake for three and a half years. Mormons are nice people, but the culture is very different. I am very sad for the whole family.
Marie Osmond's Son Michael Blosil Commits Suicide (http://soccer.msg.com/article/04EZ3x3akabB9?q=Utah - broken link)

The Mormons are apparently very focused on their cause... traditional marriage the focus of their cult pretty much.

Where di you get that?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I thought it was a daughter that was gay?
You're correct, one of her daughters is gay.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
What a terrible loss for this family.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
My condolences to Marie and her family. A tragic loss.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,380 times
I didn't know that anyone in the Osmond family was gay?? Even if he was I wish he had someone to talk to. That is so sad. I agree with one of the threads on here, maybe he felt so alone and didn't feel like he had anyone to open up to. Depression left untreated can be seriously fatal. I pray God to strengthen that family during this difficult time. Also, I didn't know that in the Mormon religion that being well liked was priority---where did that come from?? I never heard of such a thing...

Old 03-05-2010, 02:08 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
It doesn't matter if the child was gay, straight, married, divorced, single, wealthy, poor, homeless, black, white, red, girl or boy.......it still hurts. Never watched Donnie & Marie. Not my favorite celeb in the world. However, to loose someone in a family is sadding. Rest in peace.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Did anyone else think it was strange that Marie sang and performed the day after her son's funeral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities