Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,492,011 times

Advertisements

Anybody seen a pattern that has developed in Hollywood over the last 10 to 15 years? It seems that it a black actor or actress can even sniff and Oscar win, they must play some demeaning or horrific role. Never some noble character...........

Denzel in Training Day

Halle Berry getting her brains boinked out in Monster's Ball.

And now Monique who plays a torturing ghetto mother who does horrific things to her child.

I know some will say, "Oh hear we go again with race". But how is it that so many blacks never gett the good roles or when they do, hardly get nominated until they get these types of horrific characters.

I though it was changing when Foxx won for Ray. But it seems to have gone back again.

YouTube - Black Men in America- PT.6 Acting White/Movies/Music/News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,259,208 times
Why are you posting duplicate threads? Post this either here or in the politics forum, not both. That's a TOS violation in case you weren't aware.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:04 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,624,262 times
Horrific? You cant be serious. These arent all oscars. Some are nominees, some are best supporting actor etc
whoopi goldberg, ghost
Oprah and margaret avery, color purple
eddie murphy, dreamgirls
jamie fox, colateral
michael clark duncan, green mile
cuba good jr, jerry mcguire
denzel washington, cry freedom
denzel washington, glory
djimon, blood diamond
morgan freeman, million dollar baby
angela bassett, whats love got to do with it
whoopi, color purple
morgan freeman, invictus
will smith, ali
jamie foxx, ray
denzel, hurricane
morgan freeman, shawshank
laurnce fishburn, whats love got to do with it
james earl jones, great white hope

I could go on and on

Last edited by skel1977; 03-02-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 PM

10,009 posts, read 9,432,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Horrific? You cant be serious. These arent all oscars. Some are nominees, some are best supporting actor etc
whoopi goldberg, ghost
Oprah and margaret avery, color purple
eddie murphy, dreamgirls
jamie fox, colateral
michael clark duncan, green mile
cuba good jr, jerry mcguire
denzel washington, cry freedom
denzel washington, glory
djimon, blood diamond
morgan freeman, million dollar baby
angela bassett, whats love got to do with it
whoopi, color purple
morgan freeman, invictus
will smith, ali
jamie foxx, ray
denzel, hurricane
morgan freeman, shawshank
laurnce fishburn, whats love got to do with it
james earl jones, great white hope

I could go on and on
Don't forget....

Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls

So the answer is no there is no pattern of demeaning roles for black actors/actresses. I think the list skel1977 provided proves it.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Don't forget....

Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls

So the answer is no there is no pattern of demeaning roles for black actors/actresses. I think the list skel1977 provided proves it.
okay, OP wrong, facts laid out, thread dead. good night folks

ETA: wasn't Tarji Henson (butchered her name) nominated for her role in Benjamin Button? that was a positive role. add her to the growing list

Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
oops, lets add some more names to that list, shall we?:

Sophie Okonedo-Hotel Rwanda
Queen Latifah-Chicago
Viola Davis-Doubt
Marianne Jean-Baptiste-Secrets & Lies
Don Cheadle-Hotel Rwanda

amazing what a couple of minutes of research can bring up. wish people did more of it before starting two threads about a non issue

Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM

10,162 posts, read 20,701,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I know some will say, "Oh hear we go again with race". But how is it that so many blacks never gett the good roles or when they do, hardly get nominated until they get these types of horrific characters.
Funny, I never here any of these black actors who won complain about their roles. If it bothers you so much, write a letter to these actors who take these roles. It's not like someone put a gun to Halle Berry's head to take that role.

Either way it's a lose-lose isn't it? If they take on comedic roles they are accused of being type cast, if it's an edgy character like Denzel in Training Day they are being stereotyped, if they take on something more vanilla and mainstream they accused of being too "white" or selling out. How about just appreciating a well acted role and stop being so sensitive about race?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,771,188 times
They have come a long way since Robert Townsends movie - Hollywood shuffle.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
I think overall, the Academy DOES take "tortured" roles more seriously....regardless of the actor's ethnicity.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,249,970 times
I agree w/ maciesmom

- there is a running theme that in order for a female to win a best actress oscar she has to play "ugly" i.e. Charlize Theron in Monster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities