Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,513,918 times

Advertisements

I can name a few off the top of my head. Michael Landon and Elizabeth Montgomery.....I grew up with them; they died at such a young age.... and they passed rather suddenly/unexpectedly, which kinda shook me up.
These deaths also remind us of our own mortality and that "time shows no mercy".

More recently Walter Cronkite...I also grew up with him; he was a "hero and icon" to many people in my generation; though he died at a respectable older age. Recently Patrick Swayze's passing shook me up ; again because he was so young, but although we knew it was coming, it still bothered me.

What celebrity deaths bothered you and why???? .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,890,688 times
John Lennon. I was shocked for days. It came out of nowhere.

People around me always talked about a Beatles reunion. It wasn't to be.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
None. I guess I'm fairly detached from the world of celebrity.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
I'm not one of those people who follows celebrities either....but for me? River Phoenix. I have no idea why. Somewhat close in age, perhaps my own mortality just smacked me in the face?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 PM

John Lennon and River Phoenix too; and NO!!!! I'm not big on celebrities either, but they are part of our culture and hence a reflection of our society...like it or not. SEE THIS THREAD>>>>> Celebrity Endorsements: Have They EVER Influenced Your Decision To Buy/Use The Products/Services They Represent? so there folks!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,379 times
For me, too many...and I'm sure I'll forget some.

John Lennon - I turned on my favorite Seattle FM rock station when I heard, and the DJ was taking calls from bereaved listeners. What I (and everyone else) didn't expect was to hear the DJ completely break down on the air...and have the caller comforting him. There was definitely not enough tissue for that moment.

Lady Diana - I still have her funeral on tape, and even now I begin to lose it when Elton John's voice cracks while singing at the service.

Keith Moon/Bon Scott/John Bonham

Cliff Burton (Metallica)

Kurt Cobain

Heath Ledger

Freddie Mercury - Queen was my very first concert as a teenager, I adored Freddie and their music. I knew his health was failing that last year just from how he looked in videos, but I was in no way prepared to hear he had died. I can't say more, it still hurts too much.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
For me, too many...and I'm sure I'll forget some.

John Lennon - I turned on my favorite Seattle FM rock station when I heard, and the DJ was taking calls from bereaved listeners. What I (and everyone else) didn't expect was to hear the DJ completely break down on the air...and have the caller comforting him. There was definitely not enough tissue for that moment.

Lady Diana - I still have her funeral on tape, and even now I begin to lose it when Elton John's voice cracks while singing at the service.

Keith Moon/Bon Scott/John Bonham

Cliff Burton (Metallica)

Kurt Cobain

Heath Ledger

Freddie Mercury - Queen was my very first concert as a teenager, I adored Freddie and their music. I knew his health was failing that last year just from how he looked in videos, but I was in no way prepared to hear he had died. I can't say more, it still hurts too much.
I forgot both....... Freddie Mercury.......Heath Ledger did upset me; he was too young and the circumstances were unusual...he seemed to have everything to live for???? . PS..Princess Dianna too...outta the blue.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
This is going to sound weird because I was in my teens when Elvis died but I was sad I never got to learn the power he had in his prime time. I can listen to his songs now and know a great voice is in heaven. His gospel music has touched me in my adulthood. He didn't have major skeletons come out about him after his death and these many years after his death he still has a huge fan base. His movies are a little cheesy but his singing voice in his prime wow.

When I get to missing Michael Landon I just watch Little House on the Prairie that is on daily.

So many have died way to young though in the movie, TV, & music industry.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,014,130 times
Dimebag Darrell

Not because I worshipped the man, or was any kind of a rabid/obsessed fan. It was stunning simply because it once again proved that death can occur no matter where you are or what you are doing or what your age is. I saw Pantera play live four times when they were in their prime, and the fact is that you never know what a crazy fan is capable of.

The beauty is that he died doing what he loved the most. Playing the music. R.I.P. Dimebag

Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
This is going to sound weird because I was in my teens when Elvis died but I was sad I never got to learn the power he had in his prime time. I can listen to his songs now and know a great voice is in heaven. His gospel music has touched me in my adulthood. He didn't have major skeletons come out about him after his death and these many years after his death he still has a huge fan base. His movies are a little cheesy but his singing voice in his prime wow.

When I get to missing Michael Landon I just watch Little House on the Prairie that is on daily.

So many have died way to young though in the movie, TV, & music industry.
When I miss Michael Landon...I eatch BONANZA...he "shows" better . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities