U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM

16,984 posts, read 11,986,852 times
Quote:
so long as they show respect
I could care less what Sean Penn's personal politics are - to each his own. I just don't care for his lack of respect toward those whose opinion is different from his own - I don't lose any sleep over it though...I just roll my eyes when he starts spouting off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM

46 posts, read 95,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I could care less what Sean Penn's personal politics are - to each his own. I just don't care for his lack of respect toward those whose opinion is different from his own - I don't lose any sleep over it though...I just roll my eyes when he starts spouting off.
Now that's respectful.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,249,114 times
Quote:
Because you have a different opinion means Sean Penn is disrespecting you! Care to explain.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM

16,984 posts, read 11,986,852 times
I'm not asking anyone to jail him for his opinions nor am I wishing him a horrible death.....

Old 03-10-2010, 03:16 PM

754 posts, read 1,481,283 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with helping out and nothing wrong with having an opinion. My problem with him is that the country he lives in (by his own choice) and complains about is the very country which allows him to reap the benefits of his talents which consequently enables him to help to begin with. If he had grown up and lived in one of those countries, do you think he'd have all this money to be helping out with?

Good post.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM

108 posts, read 170,169 times
Quote:
My problem with him is that the country he lives in (by his own choice) and complains about is the very country which allows him to reap the benefits of his talents
And this ladies & gentleman is what is otherwise known as the privledge of American citizenship. We are profoundly lucky to be living in a country where it is perfecly within our rights to voice (even at the top of our lungs if we wish) any dissenting opinion we may have without fear of bodily harm or retribution.

We do not have to like or agree with what he (or anyone else) has to say on any given topic but, can't we let it remind us to be thankful for our right to do so all the same.

gracie

Old 03-10-2010, 04:45 PM

537 posts, read 790,913 times
"Communist Sean Penn" Got to love the title of this thread. Is that you Joe McCarthy?

Sean Penn is an American citizen and can still say whatever he wants. I don't understand his fascination with Chavez, but that's his right.

I do think he is a dedicated humanitarian and has helped thousands of people. Why would anyone denigrate him for having cameras following him? That is a good thing and gets needed attention to the problems.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 AM

587 posts, read 772,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Me, too (love his movies, that is ~ ).
I've got bigger things to worry about, other than what Sean Penn does in his private life.
I'm glad that we [so far] live in a country where dissent is still a powerful foundation and integral part of our liberty.

I think we'd all be better suited to direct outrage at the banking and mortgage mobs - the real traitors - than some actor shooting off his mouth. **JMHO**
Exactly. And maybe some fail to realize that; dissent is the highest form of patriotism. You can object and criticize and still be a patriot.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 AM

587 posts, read 772,397 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with helping out and nothing wrong with having an opinion. My problem with him is that the country he lives in (by his own choice) and complains about is the very country which allows him to reap the benefits of his talents which consequently enables him to help to begin with. If he had grown up and lived in one of those countries, do you think he'd have all this money to be helping out with?
And do you think for one momeent he doesn't appreciate his country? People just focus on the crazyinappropriate comments he sometimes make. Like I said in another response...Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,986,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughly modern millie View Post
And do you think for one momeent he doesn't appreciate his country? People just focus on the crazyinappropriate comments he sometimes make. Like I said in another response...Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
unless it's dissent against Obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities