Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
what will you all say if the child IS born with Down's Syndrome or if one or both of them die before the child is an adult? great idea? good for them? It's ok because they have money?

what will you all say if the child IS born with Down's Syndrome -would you love your child any less if he/she had Down's Syndrome or any number of other issues that can and do occur to parents of every age?

or if one or both of them die before the child is an adult?
Is anyone,let alone a parent guaranteed to live for x number of years?

great idea? it is an individual or couple's decision regardless of age

It's ok because they have money? is it ok if they don't have money? I don't get your point. Certainly the fact that this couple is mega rich doesn't hurt anything. However if a couple opts to have a child at any age and think they have the means to do so then they should do as they choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
all of whom have nothing,zilch to do with the topic; certainly nothing in common with John Travolta who does NO drugs,doesn't drink nor smoke.
Ditto for Kelly Preston.
When money is said to be the answer to life's problems, they have EVERYTHING to do with the conversation. All of them are object lessons on the meaninglessness of wealth. So what if Travolta leaves the kid with a ton of money. His parents are gone.....that can be a big problem for him or her.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:16 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
what will you all say if the child IS born with Down's Syndrome -would you love your child any less if he/she had Down's Syndrome or any number of other issues that can and do occur to parents of every age?

or if one or both of them die before the child is an adult?
Is anyone,let alone a parent guaranteed to live for x number of years?

great idea? it is an individual or couple's decision regardless of age

It's ok because they have money? is it ok if they don't have money? I don't get your point. Certainly the fact that this couple is mega rich doesn't hurt anything. However if a couple opts to have a child at any age and think they have the means to do so then they should do as they choose.

1. Of course not. That's ridiculous. But it's still a tad selfish to play russian roulette with the child's life, knowing how far up in age you are.

2. Nothing is certain in life. But you can put yourself in the best possible position for things to happen. My chances are greater on getting mugged in the hood than the burbs. Can I still get attacked in the burbs? Yes. But by moving to the lower crime risk area I make my chances better of not getting hit. The same with young and old. Under normal circumstances, the older person is closer to expiration. Fact of life. Again...UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS. The Travoltas will be on oxygen when the kid is just 15.

3. Great idea? No. But I wish them well.

4. Money means nothing to the kid if they die and leave him alone.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
My first thought on reading the news was not that they are too old. But rather that this is a replacement baby. Unfortunately I've seen firsthand couples have a baby shortly after losing a child, and it isn't pretty when that baby grows old enough to realize what they are.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I know it is off topic but as far as these saying go:

Quote:
Money isn't everything...but it ranks right up there with oxygen.
Rita Davenport

Happiness is a positive cash flow.
Fred Adler

I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better.
Sophie Tucker

When a fellow says it ain't the money but the principle of the thing, it's the money.
Artemus Ward

Lack of money is the root of all evil.
George Bernard Shaw

It is a kind of spiritual snobbery that makes people think they can be happy without money.
Albert Camus
Every one of them sounds like the type of person I loath, extremely materialistic!
The type of person that values $$ above all other things.

Lack of money is the root of all evil? Puhleezzze! I am soooo sure all rich people in this world earned their $$ in a legal and ethical way!

Greed (love of $$ - being a major part of it) is the root of all evil.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
When money is said to be the answer to life's problems, they have EVERYTHING to do with the conversation. All of them are object lessons on the meaninglessness of wealth. So what if Travolta leaves the kid with a ton of money. His parents are gone.....that can be a big problem for him or her.

your argument makes no sense-at all and has absolutely nothing to do with either of the Travoltas.

RIVER PHOENIX-Phoenix died of a drug overdose on the sidewalk outside the West Hollywood nightclub the Viper Room.

MICHAEL JACKSON
(August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was an American singer-songwriter, dancer, actor, choreographer, poet, businessman, philanthropist and record producer. Died at age 50 after cardiac arrest due to propofol, a powerful anesthetic, to help him sleep.

ELVIS PRESLEY - is regarded as one of the most important figures of 20th-century popular culture. Prior to his death toward the end of 1973, he was hospitalized, semicomatose from the effects of Demerol addiction. By this point, he suffered from multiple ailments—glaucoma, high blood pressure, liver damage, and an enlarged colon, each aggravated, and possibly caused, by drug abuse. He died in 1977 due to many causes. The following drugs were found in his system:

The painkillers Morphine and Demerol.
Chloropheniramine, an antihistamine.
The tranquilizers Placidyl and Vailum.
Finally, four drugs were found in "significant" quantities: Codeine, an opiate, Ethinamate, largely prescribed at the time as a "sleeping pill," Quaaludes, and a barbituate, or depressant, that has never been identified. It has also been rumored that Diazepam, Amytal, Nembutal, Carbrital, Sinutab, Elavil, Avental, and Valmid were found in his system at death.

HOWARD HUGHES-was an American aviator, engineer, industrialist, film producer, film director, philanthropist, and one of the wealthiest people in the world.Hughes was in extremely poor physical condition at the time of his death; X-rays revealed broken-off hypodermic needles still embedded in his arms and severe malnutrition. While his kidneys were damaged, his other internal organs were deemed perfectly healthy.

So once again I must ask-what do the people listed above have to do with John Travolta and Kelly Preston?

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 05-20-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I know it is off topic but as far as these saying go:

Every one of them sounds like the type of person I loath, extremely materialistic!
The type of person that values $$ above all other things.

Lack of money is the root of all evil? Puhleezzze! I am soooo sure all rich people in this world earned their $$ in a legal and ethical way!

Greed (love of $$ - being a major part of it) is the root of all evil.
a sense of humor goes a long way

Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
1. Of course not. That's ridiculous. But it's still a tad selfish to play russian roulette with the child's life, knowing how far up in age you are.

2. Nothing is certain in life. But you can put yourself in the best possible position for things to happen. My chances are greater on getting mugged in the hood than the burbs. Can I still get attacked in the burbs? Yes. But by moving to the lower crime risk area I make my chances better of not getting hit. The same with young and old. Under normal circumstances, the older person is closer to expiration. Fact of life. Again...UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS. The Travoltas will be on oxygen when the kid is just 15.

3. Great idea? No. But I wish them well.

4. Money means nothing to the kid if they die and leave him alone.

your answer #2 said it all---Nothing is certain in life.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
Have mixed feelings about them having a baby. At first and I still am very excited for them. But thought how in the world is this possible (based on their age). Since they lost a child I am really excited that they are bringing in another. Hope the baby will be healthy.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Whats the difference if they are young poor parents that die?
I'm talking to the people who think there is nothing wrong with having a baby at their ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities