U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM

10,600 posts, read 11,027,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
the tennis court is not the place for ANYONE to show sexuality.

That's not hard to understand....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 PM

13 posts, read 34,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
There we go again! White folks??? Stop with the race card.

I'm black from waaaay back! I'm pissed for a different reason. We don't have enuff positive images for young black people today.....pride in how we carried ourselves use to be part of our communities. We act like it's a cuss word now! How we spoke....how he dressed......it mattered! We all felt a "sense" of being responsible for the next generation coming! A sense that they will be looking at how we do business! Not just that we make it. But HOW we do it.

But now, no one seems to give a flip. And no one wants the responsibility of being a role model. I'm tired of envelopes being pushed. It's been done to death. This is just another example.

And before you play the "parent card", we had parents back then too. But there was shared sense of protecting the image of the black man and woman in the public arena. That's gone now. We have become so selfish and materialistic.

Little black girls who aspire to play the game look to the Williams sisters. They are the only dominant ones in the game. The need to carry themselves better. We got Serena threatening a 4 foot 3 line judge with shoving a ball down her throat?? Now Venus is wearing underwear on the court??

(Shakes head....)

Let the "THEY ARE NOT ROLE MODELS AND CAN DO WHAT THEY PLEASE" comments begin.

they are atheletes not role models so they can do as they please and i find it funny how people always hold black celebrities to these impossible high standards yet say nothing when there white counterparts makin the same freakin mistakes they do

lol @ ben rosthenberiger being accused of rape but gettin little media attention yet micheal vick goes to jail for a frekin dog fightin something that goes on in neighborhoods all across america

Old 05-24-2010, 05:48 PM

20,775 posts, read 21,256,423 times
It's a shame. She is talented enough that her tennis abilities ought to be what is being discussed. The fact that she feels the need to wear lingerie on the tennis court only takes the attention away from her talent.

Race has nothing to do with it. I would guess anyone in that get up would be facing the same comments. When someone else does, I'll be on saying the same thing.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM

15,111 posts, read 28,255,105 times
Class....

http://i.timeinc.net/people/images/photo/gallery/tennisshock/gmoran.jpg (broken link)

No Class = Venus Williams

'nuff said

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOARADIO View Post
they are atheletes not role models so they can do as they please and i find it funny how people always hold black celebrities to these impossible high standards yet say nothing when there white counterparts makin the same freakin mistakes they do

lol @ ben rosthenberiger being accused of rape but gettin little media attention yet micheal vick goes to jail for a frekin dog fightin something that goes on in neighborhoods all across america

YouTube - Michael Vick urges Newark kids to protect animals

Even he understands his role model status.........

And listen to the comment from the kid at the end. of this clip...

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It's a shame. She is talented enough that her tennis abilities ought to be what is being discussed. The fact that she feels the need to wear lingerie on the tennis court only takes the attention away from her talent.

Race has nothing to do with it. I would guess anyone in that get up would be facing the same comments. When someone else does, I'll be on saying the same thing.

Counter productive...

Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 PM

17,252 posts, read 17,620,307 times
^^^
We don't have to go back to the 1950s to have class on the tennis court.

But with that being said....the Williams sisters have always had a problem with acceptable tennis attire, jewelry and hair styling. There are times when people in their position need to forego "personal expression" for the sake of the overall image. The lingerie tennis dress needs to be left off the court.

I recall many years back when Venus (or maybe Serena) was penalized for the beads of her braids coming out on the court which was a major hazard to both herself and the other player.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM

5,977 posts, read 12,874,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

YouTube - Is Venus Williams SEXY in SEE-THROUGH outfit? VOTE HERE!

Can the tennis authorities crack down (no pun intended) on a proper dress code for players! The Williams sisiters seem to have no common sense at at.
aww hell girl, why are you flashing your butt cheeks??

yeah, those two have always been a bit "out there" in terms of on court fashion, but this outfit is ridiculous. not even cute, just tacky and tasteless. tennis, for better or worse, has always been seen as a "high class" sport, not unlike golf, and there is a certain level of decorum that should be expected. just like I wouldn't expect a golfer to hit the course in baggy, low slung pants or a wife beater, a female tennis player shouldn't be out there in her dang lingerie and her butt visible to the world world

Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,316,818 times
Sexy? I don't find the steroid freakazoid sexy at all. Perhaps she'd play better if she wore properly fitting tennis shorts and top instead of shopping at the local drag queen store.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 PM

17,252 posts, read 17,620,307 times
Not to sound "elitist" but the issue with the Williams sisters has always been one of class and the inability to "adapt" to the world in which they are navigating.

I remember my mother cringing at the beaded braids when we first saw Venus play. And we (as Black women) have had many more moments like that with the Williams sisters. These two are a study in people with money that just don't "get it".

Tennis is a genteel sport and there are boundaries that shouldn't be push with regard to appropriate attire. Venus and Serena represent both the best (their athletic abilities) and the worst (their presentation, image and sometimes attitude) in the sport. And because of this, they have not received as many endorsements as they possibly could have at their level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or