U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM

24,028 posts, read 12,839,136 times

Advertisements

[quote=citizenkane2;14352178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post

An observation....
Someone has to have standards around here - stay with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 05:39 AM

10,600 posts, read 11,025,953 times
"Standards" and "responsibility" are the new cuss words. Tennis should have a dress code since some folk don't know how to act.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 AM

17,294 posts, read 15,542,892 times
She's just nasty.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 AM

24,028 posts, read 12,839,136 times
Venus speaks...

"So the design has nothing to do with the rear. It just so happens that I have a very well developed one!"

"It's all genetic. If you look at mom and dad, you'll see the same thing happening. If you look at my sister (Serena), you'll see the same thing."

"It's really about the illusion. Like you can wear lace, but what's the point of wearing lace when there's just black under?" she asked reporters.

"The illusion of just having bare skin is definitely for me a lot more beautiful. So it's really not about anything else other than just that skin showing. So I'm glad that it's gotten good reviews. I mean, it could be worse."

Whatever...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM

17,252 posts, read 17,616,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Venus speaks...

"So the design has nothing to do with the rear. It just so happens that I have a very well developed one!"

"It's all genetic. If you look at mom and dad, you'll see the same thing happening. If you look at my sister (Serena), you'll see the same thing."

"It's really about the illusion. Like you can wear lace, but what's the point of wearing lace when there's just black under?" she asked reporters.

"The illusion of just having bare skin is definitely for me a lot more beautiful. So it's really not about anything else other than just that skin showing. So I'm glad that it's gotten good reviews. I mean, it could be worse."
These are the words and statements of someone who just simply doesn't "get it".

It's a shame that there was a such great deal of emphasis placed on their (the Williams sisters) athletic dominance but very little energy given to the importance of image and following social mores, especially in the high brow world of tennis.

Appearance, style, femininity and lady-like behavior are extremely important (and even ssometimes more important than actual athletic achievment) for female athletes to be "marketable" for endorsement deals. For example, Anna Kournikova received far more endorsement deals then either of the Williams sisters and that is a shame.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,216,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
You must read Saul Alinsky.....

Pleez don't try a juvenile attempt to steer this away for the real issue. Just having some common sense and pride in and being a role model for the ones coming behind you.

My people just seem to have dropped the ball in so many areas of sports and entertainment. and these are the venues that young people gravitate toward. Black Entertainment Television is a trash dump these days. You don't know what urban radio is gonna play next.

Well I don't understand your observation.

No I do not read Alinsky, but wasn't he all for the betterment of society, and trying to help people to rise above?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,640,209 times
So she basically wore a French maid costume at the French Open. I wasn't impressed but I was amused.

You know, I can get with the arguments for keeping the focus on the game and not the attire. But the Williams sisters think there is room for incorporating sexiness and attractiveness and femininity into the sport. Whether you or I think their idea of such is accurate or agreeable doesn't really matter to them. I truly don't think they give a damn if anyone cringes at their beads. I don't agree with all their choices, but they are young and the world is changing, has changed.

Again, let me state it. The world has changed and continues to change. Posting a picture of a white woman in 50s era tennis attire means that you just don't get that the world has changed. You have the right to think that Venus Williams' attire is trashy. She has the right to wear it. You can sniff, proclaim that a high brow sport and its high brow mores are now forever besmirched. Or you can get palpitations and mutter, "Oh dear, what will the white people think?"

Or you can just say, "Next!" Because you're not going to stop that change from happening.

Plus, I thought decorum and intelligent professional behavior went out with John McEnroe's outbursts back in the day. "Answer the question, jerk!" Maybe he would have been better off donning a French maid costume on the court!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 PM

10,600 posts, read 11,025,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
These are the words and statements of someone who just simply doesn't "get it".

It's a shame that there was a such great deal of emphasis placed on their (the Williams sisters) athletic dominance but very little energy given to the importance of image and following social mores, especially in the high brow world of tennis.

Appearance, style, femininity and lady-like behavior are extremely important (and even ssometimes more important than actual athletic achievment) for female athletes to be "marketable" for endorsement deals. For example, Anna Kournikova received far more endorsement deals then either of the Williams sisters and that is a shame.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,991,276 times
This is a men's world. Men sit and determine who should/shouldn't receive "endorcement deals". McEnroe act an utter fool on/off the court. People thought he was the greatest.

When a women is hardcore or her attire is not to YOUR liking, then she's not lady like.

The sisters are great on the court. People are intimidated by their skills and cockiness. Thinking these black girls should emulate their white counterparts. HA!

Who remember Venus and Spirlea bumping into each other. Before the entire story broke. People were saying Venus should've move. Why should Venus move?? Venus was at war. Spirlea was playing childish games. Did Spirlea lose or win in this battle!

Anna K hasn't done anything for the sport of tennis. She's just a pretty blond. No more no less.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,210,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I doubt there would be the same outrage if this outfit was worn by Anna Kournikova or Maria Sharapova.

I agree. Here's an article about the white American female soccer player who scored the winning goal during the Olympics and celebrated by by removing her jersey, to reveal her sports bra. Very interesting how she was celebrated and became an icon. She went on to major endorsements and contracts for Jockey other apparel companies.

1999 Women's World Cup soccer star Brandi Chastain remembers her memorable goal - ESPN

I believe, had Anna Kournikova or Maria Sharapova worn the same outfit as Venus Williams, the shock effect probably would have been the same, but the outcome would have been much different. Venus would be criticized for the rest of her career; whereas, Kournikova and Sharapova would be seen on the cover pages of every fashion magazine, from New York to Paris. Both would instantly become Madison Avenue darlings, receiving major endorsements and modeling contracts.

That's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or