Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,102,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
So far I have paid a grand total of zero for my apps. I will have to pay for Touchdown when my trial is up. I need it for my work email.

The quality of the games are VERY nice, too! They aren't what you might think of when you think free.

You will love android!
..........Hey photobuff.......

Maybe you'd help out an 'ole geezer with some info..................

What 'apps' come (from the factory) with the DROID X?

I just got mine and have not had time to read up on what it comes with....plus, I'm not very educated in "this stuff".

I won't be playing any games and will primarily be using it for:

a/ a phone; b/ to take pictures; c/ e mail; d/weather forecast(s), local and other areas while traveling; e/ travel info and motel and hotel info as I "go down the road"............

Would you kindly make some recommendations as to what other "apps' I might find useful, based on how I'm initially going to be using this phone.

I know I'll only be using a fraction of it's capabilities to begin with, and will (hopefully) get into expanding my use of it's capabilities as time goes on. At 78, I'm 'kind of a slow learner!' I'm hoping to find a "techy" widow (blonde/blue eyes) at the 60th reunion...(that will "teach me some tricks----with the phone of course),... I'll be attending in October back in Illinois.

Thanks for your help....................Griz (yea, I gotta brag....I have one hanging on the wall.....a once in a lifetime hunt at age 60). Carpe Diem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,632,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Thinking of jumping to Verizon Droid, or iPhone when verizon gets it, and am just wondering if all the Apps free, or if not, what do they cost on average?

Depends on the app. You can buy or you can get free ones. Some pay ones, have free versions with less options and such.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,133,942 times
Okay, question for you. Just upgraded to a Droid a few weeks ago. I have not yet installed any new apps. When I look into it, it says you are granting them access to your phone. What exactly will be able to be accessed and are phones susceptible to viruses like a computer?

Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 2 days ago)

43,067 posts, read 76,614,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
Okay, question for you. Just upgraded to a Droid a few weeks ago. I have not yet installed any new apps. When I look into it, it says you are granting them access to your phone. What exactly will be able to be accessed and are phones susceptible to viruses like a computer?
Required phone access varies by the app.
Some need your location, so they want access to GPS.
Some will require text or talk minutes, so you have to acknowledge that.

I am sure there are abuses of that access.
There also are antivirus apps.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 AM

Anyone know of any free aps for NFL scores.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,501,916 times
Do a Market Search for LIVE SCORES. The one you want it has a Blue logo with a White "S".
Does live updates of all major sports.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do a Market Search for LIVE SCORES. The one you want it has a Blue logo with a White "S".
Does live updates of all major sports.
Thanks mate

Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,221,892 times
What 'apps' come (from the factory) with the DROID X?

There are a ton. 1. alarm and timer 2. Blockbuster Video 3. Browser 4. Calculator 5. Calendar 6. Camcorder 7. Camera
8. CarDock 9. Email 10. FM Radio 11. Amazon MP3 & Kindle 12. Maps 13. Android Market (to get more apps) 14. Navigation
15. Skype 16. Voice Commands 17. You Tube

Recommendations:

a/ a phone;
I don't think you will need anything for this but the device itself.

b/ to take pictures;
Trip Journal allows easily documenting your travel experiences and automatically tracking your itinerary in real time, while having fun vacationing. Trip stats including distance, time and geography traveled are also automatically documented and included in the journal.
Buy Trip Journal for Android | Trip Journal: iPhone and Android Application

Trip Journal is a app that costs $3.99

c/ e mail;
What kind of email account do you have? There are apps for Yahoo! There is also an app on the device that lets you set up your account. I did aol on that one.

d/weather forecast(s), local and other areas while traveling;
-weather channel app from android market

e/ travel info and motel and hotel info as I "go down the road"............
-WHERE for Android is a leading local search and recommendation service that helps ANY Android user save time and money while on-the-go. WHERE gives you easy access to local search and real-time user reviews for local restaurants, businesses, events, gas prices, movies, weather, news, traffic information, special offers and coupons. Select where you’d like to go and instantly get text or mapped directions.

Using the GPS chip inside your Android phone, Hotels Near Me consults a 60,000-hotel database to find places to stay in your proximity. You get star ratings for each hotel, together with the address, phone number, and user reviews.

Hotels near me - BluMedialab.com | no nonsense mobile app development

Plus you can use the browser to set up reservations via the web.

I know I'll only be using a fraction of it's capabilities to begin with, and will (hopefully) get into expanding my use of it's capabilities as time goes on. At 78, I'm 'kind of a slow learner!' I'm hoping to find a "techy" widow (blonde/blue eyes) at the 60th reunion...(that will "teach me some tricks----with the phone of course),... I'll be attending in October back in Illinois.

Maybe you will meet that techy lady. I know you're going to have fun!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,102,927 times
....photobuff42.....

Thank you very much for answering my (Droid x) 'app' questions. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,566,646 times
Downloaded Alchemy (free game) last night. Soooo addictive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones