U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 AM

13,224 posts, read 15,304,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

The real joke here is WinMobile. They seem to be suffering from the same aliments that killed Palm back in the late 90s. I used to be a big WinMobile fan and really wanted MS to stop trying to make phone's look like a PC and build in the usability that 99% of the users in the mobile market wanted.
1,000% agree. I was really rooting for Microsoft, but I gave up and won't look back. There are currently 300 apps for WinMoby 6.5. Not a typo. 300.
And Microsoft is making no effort to get more for those stuck in contracts with 6.5 They are moving on to 7 and to hell with you 6.5 people.

But at least they finally removed the START button from Windows Mobile. That was so lame. The music player was a joke. The total lack of customization.

And they are putting a ton of emphasis on Xbox Live integration with Winmoby 7. Really? Who are you marketing this thing to, MS? Sure alot of adults play Xbox, but I don't think any of them will jump to your phone because it has Xbox Live on it.

WinMoby 7 looks nice but it is to little, far to late.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 PM

519 posts, read 535,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

WinMoby 7 looks nice but it is to little, far to late.
It's looks just ok imo. But not having it available for VZW or Sprint until sometime in 2011 is yet another foolish move by microsoft. I really think they should just give up in the mobile space...

Old 09-25-2010, 01:37 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,547,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyaz View Post
after having my droid for a few months now...i'm fully convinced that they will eventually takeover the world. Unlike blackberry who is not really keeping up with the times, droid seems to be coming out with a new phone every few months. I currently have the droid incredible by htc and love it. It replaces my blackberry curve which was very faithful and trustworthy but does not do 1/4 of the things that my droid can do.

Go back 3 years ago and 90% of everyone at the engineering firm i work at had a blackberry. Now today it seems like over half of the former blackberry owners are sporting droid phones, ask most of them if they'll ever go back to blackberry and you receive an overwhelming no.

Blackberry really dropped the ball in the past year...it simply is not updating their product to incorporate new technology. I used to think i'd never own anything besides a blackberry but oh how things change.

Apple's iphone also seems to be lagging behind the droid. What once was the "in" thing to have is falling to the wayside. I've met numerous former iphone owners at my firm who have switched to the droid and i don't think any of them ever planned on going back to at&t or the iphone even if it does come to verizon.

I'd be willing to bet within the next 5-10 years, 60% of all cell phone users will be carrying a smartphone and of that percentage, 40%+ will be using a droid.

Thoughts/ideas/opinions?
iphone. There is no substitute.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,723,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
iphone. There is no substitute.
iphone is good but lost it's lead. A big letdown by Jobs. Seriously, no flash support? HTML5 is great but only like 2% of websites use it. Flash is a requirement for browsing today.

iphone has better hardware, no doubt. But Job's close-minded architecture is really dragging the iPhone's potential, making room for Android and such. Choosing the iPhone for new users is just silly now.

What will also end up hurting the iPhone is it's slow refresh cycle. Android has a competitive market with HTC, Moto, and Samsung releasing several revisions a year. In previous years they were playing catch-up. But now that they have caught up, they can only pull ahead while Apple is stuck to one refresh a year.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM

526 posts, read 974,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
iphone is good but lost it's lead. A big letdown by Jobs. Seriously, no flash support? HTML5 is great but only like 2% of websites use it. Flash is a requirement for browsing today.

iphone has better hardware, no doubt. But Job's close-minded architecture is really dragging the iPhone's potential, making room for Android and such. Choosing the iPhone for new users is just silly now.

What will also end up hurting the iPhone is it's slow refresh cycle. Android has a competitive market with HTC, Moto, and Samsung releasing several revisions a year. In previous years they were playing catch-up. But now that they have caught up, they can only pull ahead while Apple is stuck to one refresh a year.
android refresh is insane!!!
you turn around and your phone is obsolete withing a month at least with Apple your product is supported through 3 OS like they have done...
that to me is good business!!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
android refresh is insane!!!
you turn around and your phone is obsolete withing a month at least with Apple your product is supported through 3 OS like they have done...
that to me is good business!!

All the older phones can run the newest Android 2.2. Even the original Motorola Droid has 2.2 now.

Apple better support the phone for 3 OS' with the insane prices they are charging. BTW, OS 4 runs like crap on the 3GS compared to the iPhone 4. And according to Steve Jobs himself that iPhone users don't know how to hold their phone right. What's up with that? Also, I heard that on AT&T you can only upgrade your phone every two years? That's a bummer. Even with new Android's coming out, you get to upgrade discounted yearly on Sprint. (which turns out to be a free hardware upgrade after flipping)

Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM

526 posts, read 974,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
All the older phones can run the newest Android 2.2. Even the original Motorola Droid has 2.2 now.

Apple better support the phone for 3 OS' with the insane prices they are charging. BTW, OS 4 runs like crap on the 3GS compared to the iPhone 4. And according to Steve Jobs himself that iPhone users don't know how to hold their phone right. What's up with that? Also, I heard that on AT&T you can only upgrade your phone every two years? That's a bummer. Even with new Android's coming out, you get to upgrade discounted yearly on Sprint. (which turns out to be a free hardware upgrade after flipping)
yeah you do get to upgrade early with the early upgrade pricing, not as cheap as if you were ready but it doesnt really matter...
the 3GS runs iOS fine, its the iPhone 3G that doesnt run it as well, but thats to be expected it only has 128mb of ram and a 422 MHZ processor...
yeah droid owners lucked out ok tell me why some of motorola's phones still run 1.6 (doughnut)? uncalled for!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM

31,097 posts, read 37,342,807 times
I have enough things to deal with as it is. I use my phone as a phone...and occasionally as a camera, and that's it. I have no desire to be in that much contact with the rest of the world.

Not that I don't think it's cool...it's very cool. Just not for me.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 PM

13,224 posts, read 15,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have enough things to deal with as it is. I use my phone as a phone...and occasionally as a camera, and that's it. I have no desire to be in that much contact with the rest of the world.

Not that I don't think it's cool...it's very cool. Just not for me.
Yep OK. I hear this a lot from my older friends. and I am not "young".
Keep in mind, Mrs. Only-need-a-camera....
the camera on my Droid is the first camera on a phone that could actually make me forget about my "real" digital camera. Occasionaly as a camera? How about "is now my normal camera".

Don't fight it.

(just playing around)

(Same with the new iPhone camera, as well... not just an android thing)

Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yep OK. I hear this a lot from my older friends. and I am not "young".
Keep in mind, Mrs. Only-need-a-camera....
the camera on my Droid is the first camera on a phone that could actually make me forget about my "real" digital camera. Occasionaly as a camera? How about "is now my normal camera".

Don't fight it.

(just playing around)

(Same with the new iPhone camera, as well... not just an android thing)
I agree with this. Especially about the iPhone camera. The Droid Incredible camera is still horrible and is the only droid camera that I have used. It has 8 mp, but image quality (i suppose ccd/lense) is not nearly as good as a dedicated digital camera.

That being said, I still believe that those are the two best phones out there, among the EVO 4G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones