U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
 
31,043 posts, read 37,311,093 times
Reputation: 42273

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yep OK. I hear this a lot from my older friends. and I am not "young".
Keep in mind, Mrs. Only-need-a-camera....
the camera on my Droid is the first camera on a phone that could actually make me forget about my "real" digital camera. Occasionaly as a camera? How about "is now my normal camera".


Don't fight it.

(just playing around)

(Same with the new iPhone camera, as well... not just an android thing)
Nah...many of my "Older" friends actually love being "connected". Simply is not for me. My 17 year old son doesn't even like to text...and we don't have cable TV either. We just don't have the time for all that...it's a waste of $ for us. As far as cameras....I have about 7. I promise the pics I take are far better than any phone... it's one of the hobbies that keeps me too busy to even answer a phone....much less net-surf with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,262 posts, read 3,174,860 times
Reputation: 1107
The Android OS is pulling ahead of the iPhone, but I suspect this will change when the rumors of a Verizon iPhone become reality. Even then, there is one phone manufacturer (Apple) competing with many other manufacturers who are making Andriod devices. This is why the Win OS have had the lion's share of the PC market for the past 20+ years.

RIM/Blackberry has pretty solid footing in the corporate market. I think they companies will be issuing these devices to employees for the foreseeable future, while Apple does battle the Android phones for the consumer market.

Despite their prior dominance, Win Mobile and PalmOS are effectively dead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 37,705,275 times
Reputation: 12881
I agree with you regarding the Android OS phones. This thread is about the Droid specifically, so thus Verizon's Android phones. I imagine that the iPhone will directly affect the sales of Droids.

Windows phones are still up in the air. Microsoft is doing some heavy heavy marketing here. We'll see in several months after the phone's been on the market I suppose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,719 posts, read 27,414,285 times
Reputation: 9242
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I agree with you regarding the Android OS phones. This thread is about the Droid specifically, so thus Verizon's Android phones. I imagine that the iPhone will directly affect the sales of Droids.

Windows phones are still up in the air. Microsoft is doing some heavy heavy marketing here. We'll see in several months after the phone's been on the market I suppose.
I think the OP said Droid - but he really meant Android. As many know, Droid is a Verizon brand that includes phones made by multiple manufacturers - for now Motorola and HTC.

The iPhone is no longer leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. A Verizon iPhone will take care of people who hate AT&T, but there are people switching from Apple to Android because they want more control over their handset than Apple allows.

Google has to be careful that Android doesn't get corrupted by the carriers - so that ease of use isn't impacted too much. Apple's arrogance and over-confidence is starting to show though. Their anti-Flash position is looking pretty silly since HTML5 is crawling out of the gate. The forceful control over developers will turn some of them off.

I think Microsoft shouldn't be counted out. The WP7 platform looks very promising and innovative. The iPhone icon-hell approach looks downright dated already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Queens, NY
654 posts, read 1,197,962 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think the OP said Droid - but he really meant Android. As many know, Droid is a Verizon brand that includes phones made by multiple manufacturers - for now Motorola and HTC.

The iPhone is no longer leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. A Verizon iPhone will take care of people who hate AT&T, but there are people switching from Apple to Android because they want more control over their handset than Apple allows.

Google has to be careful that Android doesn't get corrupted by the carriers - so that ease of use isn't impacted too much. Apple's arrogance and over-confidence is starting to show though. Their anti-Flash position is looking pretty silly since HTML5 is crawling out of the gate. The forceful control over developers will turn some of them off.

I think Microsoft shouldn't be counted out. The WP7 platform looks very promising and innovative. The iPhone icon-hell approach looks downright dated already.
I wouldn't say that, Flash performance on Android isn't too great. Plus Apple was working with Adobe to get Flash on the iPhone before Android even took off but the performance was slow and battery draining so they gave up on it. Personally I have no use for Flash on my iPhone since Hulu is blocked from phones anyways. 90% of Flash stuff I see is ads. I actually switched from Android to the iPhone this Summer, the only thing from Android I'd like the iPhone to have is widgets, Google navigation is something I miss too. The iOS app store is just top notch, plus Apple relaxed a lot of it's policies so I doubt it's as forceful as it used to be. I like Apple's "guilty until proven innocent" approach of reviewing apps over Google's "innocent until proven guilty" approach, you never really know what else you're downloading with Android apps.

AT&T sucks though, I didn't think they'd be nearly as bad as they're made out to be but honestly they almost are, but I guess it depends on where you live.

The best Android phone is the Evo imo. If Apple comes out with a bigger screen iPhone that'd be my next phone but as for now I'm in love with my iPhone 4.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,206 posts, read 15,289,458 times
Reputation: 9307
Flash runs much better on the newer Droids (Droid X, Droid 2, Samsung Fascinate) but I totally agree with N130 about the usefulness of it. I never really visit flash sites on my Droid1. Not because it kind of sucks... because I just don't need to play Flash games on my phone or watch videos at a flash site. If I can't find it on Youtube I don't need it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,321 posts, read 14,112,815 times
Reputation: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
The best Android phone is the Evo imo. If Apple comes out with a bigger screen iPhone that'd be my next phone but as for now I'm in love with my iPhone 4.
Whereas I think the Epic is much better than the Evo. While a virtual keyboard is nice, I've got a "thing" for a dropdown keyboard with physical keys. Even going a month on the virtual alone, I'm still MUUUCCH faster with an actual keyboard.

The Epic has a keyboard, the Evo does not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Boston
905 posts, read 2,217,693 times
Reputation: 461
But the Evo has HDMI...each has their own pros and cons
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 37,705,275 times
Reputation: 12881
EVO also has SENSE UI... It's the best Android UI out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,321 posts, read 14,112,815 times
Reputation: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
But the Evo has HDMI...each has their own pros and cons
Whereas the EVO has the straight HDMI output, the Epic has a MicroUSB-to-HDMI capability. They both technically have HDMI output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
EVO also has SENSE UI... It's the best Android UI out there.
EVO has HTC SENSE, Epic has Touchwiz. It all depends on what you want out of the interface. YMMV.

If I wasn't shelling out the money myself, I'd be happy with either phone, but if I'm paying for it, I demand a keyboard.

Though, I'm actually going to hold off on buying the Epic to see what happens during the infamous press release on November 8th. Plus, dual-core Android phones are just about here. Perhaps my waiting will pay off?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top