Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Whereas the EVO has the straight HDMI output, the Epic has a MicroUSB-to-HDMI capability. They both technically have HDMI output.

EVO has HTC SENSE, Epic has Touchwiz. It all depends on what you want out of the interface. YMMV.

If I wasn't shelling out the money myself, I'd be happy with either phone, but if I'm paying for it, I demand a keyboard.

Though, I'm actually going to hold off on buying the Epic to see what happens during the infamous press release on November 8th. Plus, dual-core Android phones are just about here. Perhaps my waiting will pay off?
MicroUSB-to-HDMI is slightly worse than straight mini hdmi since it requires a non-standard cable. But yea, both get the job done.

HTC SENSE is a lot better than Touchwiz. It will be less important in Android 3.0, as Google has planned to mimic the SENSE UI.

Wanting a keyboard is a legitimate reason to go with the EPIC over the EVO. I'm still undecided about how important a keyboard is to me.

I'm in the waiting boat as well. The dualcore snapdragon has been out for a while now and no phones have used it yet. The Intel CPUs are very promising as well. I'm on the Sprint SERO plan and it will cost me an extra $10/month to get a new phone, so I want to make sure I get the next top of the line phone to make that $10 worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
MicroUSB-to-HDMI is slightly worse than straight mini hdmi since it requires a non-standard cable. But yea, both get the job done.

HTC SENSE is a lot better than Touchwiz. It will be less important in Android 3.0, as Google has planned to mimic the SENSE UI.

Wanting a keyboard is a legitimate reason to go with the EPIC over the EVO. I'm still undecided about how important a keyboard is to me.

I'm in the waiting boat as well. The dualcore snapdragon has been out for a while now and no phones have used it yet. The Intel CPUs are very promising as well. I'm on the Sprint SERO plan and it will cost me an extra $10/month to get a new phone, so I want to make sure I get the next top of the line phone to make that $10 worth it.
I've never benchmarked (or looked for a benchmark) on which one does the job better. I don't know if I'd ever really use that feature, to be honest.

As for the interface, I've not seen anything that'd be a make or break for either. For my purposes, either one would work - it's just that one has the keyboard. I do quite a bit of typing from my phone, so the keyboard is pretty important.

LG claimed some time back they were going to be released a dual-core Android in the 4th quarter of this year. Whether that still happens or not, I'm not sure. For quite some time, LG's Android pickings were slim and not up to par with companies like Motorola, HTC, and Samsung.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Although this does not take away from how good of a phone the EPIC is, Samsung is known for not releasing updates for their phones in a timely manner. This may be different though because it is Samsung's flagship phone and their first near-top-of-the-line phone.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A physical keyboard was important to me so I got the first Moto Droid. Shortly after a buddy got the HTC Incredible. After playing with that quite a bit I wish I would have gotten it instead. He has Swype on it and it is pretty good actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones