U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM

24,875 posts, read 21,508,741 times

Advertisements

Just to inform anyone who cares, there is no such thing as a 4G network right now.

Even Verizon's LTE isn't 4G.

So even though your phone may have 4G in the name, or it may say 4G on the little signal thingy on your phone, its not 4G.

At best, its 3.5G like HSPA+, but no one will have a truly 4G network until around 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 AM

31,345 posts, read 50,696,223 times
I heard Kim Kommando this weekend saying that the EU set the designation for 4G, and so far the best that any American carrier has came up with is 1/10 of the 4G through-put.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 AM

15,220 posts, read 18,604,265 times
On Sprint's network, 4G = Clear WiMax. I don't know why you're saying that "nobody" has it. Are you nit picking technical jargon?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 AM

31,345 posts, read 50,696,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
On Sprint's network, 4G = Clear WiMax. I don't know why you're saying that "nobody" has it. Are you nit picking technical jargon?
A perfect example, thank you

According to their website:
Quote:
... CLEAR is building the fastest network around—and we keep expanding from city to city. With average speeds of 3 to 6 Mbps and bursts of over 10 Mbps
While the definition of '4G' is 1 Gbps

1Mbps = 1,000,000 bits per second

1Gbps = 1,000,000,000 bits per second

A perfect example of the OP.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
IURC sets the standards for wireless networks.

WiMax and LTE are both 3.5G, but not 4G.

Its not even about the speeds really. 4G promises to deliver 1Gbps, but no one has been able to do that outside of a lab yet.

WiMax 2.0 might be 4G, LTE2 might be 4G, but the fact is, no one has that network in the states yet.

The main problem with WiMax and LTE is that they were designed for data only, not voice and data. Now, some quick software upgrades made it possible to carry voice over them, but they weren't designed for that. That is their major shortfall.

T-mobile is calling their HSPA+ network 4G because the other three carriers are calling their networks 4G, with no real legal standing to do so. No one can file suit against another carrier, because technically no carrier has 4G in the states.

The soonest a real 4G network will emerge in this country, will be 2014, maybe late 2013.

So the next time you walk into any cellular store, and they start preaching to you about 4G, slap them back to reality with a little knowledge.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,594,770 times
I suspect I'm like most consumers in that I don't give a flip what they call it. I just care what the claimed throughput speeds are, whether or not they can actually deliver on those claims, and how widespread the "4G" coverage is.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,217,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I suspect I'm like most consumers in that I don't give a flip what they call it. I just care what the claimed throughput speeds are, whether or not they can actually deliver on those claims, and how widespread the "4G" coverage is.
I agree. It doesn't really matter what they call it as long as they are clear about available speeds.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Oh but the average consumer cares.

I live in an area with no 3G coverage, because of DOD spectrum challenges.

All anyone asks is why their phone doesn't say 3G on it.

Forget the fact that when you put a ATT Iphone 4 next to a Samsung Vibrant on EDGE, and they have almost the exact same speed, they want that network name.

Most consumers only see what they are told to see, not whats actually there.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,594,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh but the average consumer cares.

I live in an area with no 3G coverage, because of DOD spectrum challenges.

All anyone asks is why their phone doesn't say 3G on it.

Forget the fact that when you put a ATT Iphone 4 next to a Samsung Vibrant on EDGE, and they have almost the exact same speed, they want that network name.

Most consumers only see what they are told to see, not whats actually there.
They don't want the marketing designation for its own sake, they want the higher performance where available. Your average consumer doesn't care what it's called.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
They don't want the marketing designation for its own sake, they want the higher performance where available. Your average consumer doesn't care what it's called.
The average consumer doesn't know what performs better, until they are told what performs better.

Believe me, I talk to customers on occasion, they know little to nothing about what their phone or network can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones