Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
4 non-iPhone smartphones, 1500 shared minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited mobile to mobile (which overcomes the lower shared minutes) for $170/month.

Unless you talk to primarily landline phones, the 1500 shared minutes doesn't really matter since most of your minutes will be considered mobile to mobile.
So its $30 a month cheaper for a few less minutes. $360 a year is a decent amount of money but not enough to make me dump my iphone.

Was that verizon? Might be cool to jump when they iphone moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
When I had AT&T, they were pretty good.
I only feel slightly slighted because they were overcharging me for about 3-4 months and only refunded me a fourth of the amount.

I didn't have an iPhone so I guess that's why I would rate the service as good.
My step-dad has an iPhone and he loves it.

I'm now with Verizon and pretty happy. I've heard horror stories about billing issues and hopefully I'll never have any. So far, so good but I've only been with them since the end of October.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So its $30 a month cheaper for a few less minutes. $360 a year is a decent amount of money but not enough to make me dump my iphone.

Was that verizon? Might be cool to jump when they iphone moves.

Sorry, that was Sprint. I hear ya regarding the iPhone. If you really love it, it's hard to give up.

I had calculated Verizon to being $250 for 4 phones with 700 shared minutes, unlimited data and text. I don't follow Verizon's plans so this might no longer be up to date.

Generally, Sprint and T-mobile have been the cheapest in terms of plans give or take a few dollars and features here or there. If you can live within the scope of the Virgin Mobile plans and don't mind a limited phone selection, Virgin Mobile is unmatched.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 AM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It's a well-known fact that AT&T was Apple's 3rd choice for the iPhone. They went to T-Mobile first, but T-Mobile didn't want to capitulate to Apple's various infrastructure demands and all the "one-offing" that would have been required to utilize them, and didn't feel they needed it because they had Androids coming up.
Really? That's the first time that I've ever read that well-known fact. Every source that I've ever read stated that they went to VZW first and then at&t, never any mention of t-mobile.

Do you have any links that mention Apple approaching t-mobile first?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:53 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Really? That's the first time that I've ever read that well-known fact. Every source that I've ever read stated that they went to VZW first and then at&t, never any mention of t-mobile.

Do you have any links that mention Apple approaching t-mobile first?
There are many links out there as it pertains to Verizon.

With T-Mobile, I know this because I assisted in conducting a feasibility study for them well before AT&T announced they had the iPhone, because T-Mobile was considering taking on the iPhone. Apple wanted to go with T-Mobile because of Deutsche Telekom's footprint in Europe, which would have made things a lot easier for them. Ultimately, it was decided that it would cost too much to make the infrastructure changes to bring the phone on in America, especially given that they had already secured the Android. DT did ultimately receive exclusive rights to sell/market the iPhone in Germany, and if you see an iPhone out there that's not being held by an American, it's on the DT network. There are numerous articles on this that a well-crafted Google search will reveal, as well.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Verizon landline and Verizon Wireless are too completely separate companies even though the name makes you think differently.
Same with ATT. ATT Mobility and ATT land line and ATT long distance are complete separate companies under a corporate umbrella.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Of the big 4 they have their pluses and minuses.
T-mobile-great prices, shotty reception,ok cust svc.
Sprint-very good prices,decent reception,good cust svc.
VZW-best reception,higher prices,best cust svc.
AT&T-high prices,ok recep,ok cust svc,I-Phone.

***When AT&T loses the exclusive right to the I-Phone, they will be doomed. The simple point is that they are the same price as VZW, their reception is not even close, and customer service isn't as good. The I-Phone is the only thing holding them above water for now.***
Losing the Iphone exclusive will be painful for ATT but they still have the second best network in the business. ATT's problem is not their network but their horrid customer service. I would rather have my teeth pulled than to deal with their customer no service.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It's odd it must have more to do with folks complaining?
If your the biggest in the world you will have more complaints.

All of the other cell phone company's rent time or use an AT&T cell towers to provide service.
Actually no. They may use some AT&T towers but AT&T owns very few towers. TMobile owns more towers than AT&T but 90% of the cell towers you see are owned by 3rd party tower companies like American Tower, Crown Castle and Spectra. And the other companies do not "rent time" from AT&T unless it is part of a roaming agreement. Some of the pre paid companies "rent time" from the major carriers but all the major carriers have their own base station equipment (Sprint, Metro PCS, AT&T, Verizon, TMobile). What they have all rented from AT&T is backhaul transport circuits to their switches. ATT provides virtually all the T carrier backhauls no matter who the carrier is but even that is changing because companies like Cloud Fiber are putting in transport infrastructure.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 PM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
There are many links out there as it pertains to Verizon.
Yes, I know. The links pointing to VZW are plentiful and easy to find.

Quote:
With T-Mobile, I know this because I assisted in conducting a feasibility study for them well before AT&T announced they had the iPhone, because T-Mobile was considering taking on the iPhone. Apple wanted to go with T-Mobile because of Deutsche Telekom's footprint in Europe, which would have made things a lot easier for them. Ultimately, it was decided that it would cost too much to make the infrastructure changes to bring the phone on in America, especially given that they had already secured the Android. DT did ultimately receive exclusive rights to sell/market the iPhone in Germany, and if you see an iPhone out there that's not being held by an American, it's on the DT network. There are numerous articles on this that a well-crafted Google search will reveal, as well.
Interesting anecdote. I suppose that I must not be crafty enough with my Google skills as I can't find a single link that mentions T-Mobile USA as being Apple's first choice or even being approached at all. Everything points overwhelmingly to VZW as being Apple's first choice. At any rate, it's a moot point at this juncture as events unfolded the way that they did regardless.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Losing the Iphone exclusive will be painful for ATT but they still have the second best network in the business. ATT's problem is not their network but their horrid customer service. I would rather have my teeth pulled than to deal with their customer no service.
AT&T constantly gives out fraudulent numbers. Their network is #3. Sprint has more true coverage than them. Verizon is #1, Sprint #2 (about half of Verizon), AT&T (about 1/3 of verizon), T-Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones