Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
A lot of people, including myself have switched to T-Mobile because they are less expensive. I even terminated the contract I had with Verizon, which was supposed to expire in July of 2012 because I was fed up with their rates and their plans.

I was paying about $90 per month on the average with Verizon, and that's with 900 minutes (never exceeded 450), and 250 text messages, but with T-Mobile's 500-minute plan, plus unlimited text, that will drop to about $70 a month. There were other reasons I dropped Verizon, which I won't mention, but overall, you should expect to pay less with T-Mobile.
Hey, thank you very much for the info.! Although some of the other answers on here were good, you were the only one that actually got to the point and answered my question.

Anyway, from what you and others have said on here, T-Mobile sounds like the best choice for me. Verizon is just getting rediculous with the fees. I think that they are literally trying to suck their customers dry of all of their money. I' am on a very tight budget and I don't need or have any use for a fancy, overpiced phone (especially smartphones) that can do everything but eat, breath, and drive your car for you. I just want a simple, affordable phone that does only two things that I really care about: making and recieving calls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 AM

519 posts, read 603,984 times
I still think the deal that NJBest reference in post #2 is the best thing going right, but good luck with T-Mobile.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
A lot of people, including myself have switched to T-Mobile because they are less expensive. I even terminated the contract I had with Verizon, which was supposed to expire in July of 2012 because I was fed up with their rates and their plans.

I was paying about $90 per month on the average with Verizon, and that's with 900 minutes (never exceeded 450), and 250 text messages, but with T-Mobile's 500-minute plan, plus unlimited text, that will drop to about $70 a month. There were other reasons I dropped Verizon, which I won't mention, but overall, you should expect to pay less with T-Mobile.
Sprint just upped their 69.99 unlimited plan by $20 for data pkg.

Do your research as everything is now changing due to Verizon Iphone 4.

Research, research, research!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Sprint just upped their 69.99 unlimited plan by $20 for data pkg.

Do your research as everything is now changing due to Verizon Iphone 4.

Research, research, research!
If I were a Sprint customer I would be very upset because customers would be paying for something they would probably never use, nor would they be interested in using in the future.

Just give me a cell phone I can use to talk and text on and that's it, I don't care for internet access, I'll leave that job for my laptop when I travel, and the desktop computers when I'm at home.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Sprint is not upping the data pricing by 20$ its a 10$ premium data fee for all smartphones...if you're not interested in Data, Internet or Smartphones then you can get an Everything Messaging plan that's even less than the 69.99$ plan...but Everything messaging does not get you the Anymobile calling only Sprint2Sprint calling and 7pm nights.

Even with the 10$ fee Sprint is still alot cheaper than Ol' Wallet Raper Verizon.....

Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Sprint is not upping the data pricing by 20$ its a 10$ premium data fee for all smartphones...if you're not interested in Data, Internet or Smartphones then you can get an Everything Messaging plan that's even less than the 69.99$ plan...but Everything messaging does not get you the Anymobile calling only Sprint2Sprint calling and 7pm nights.

Even with the 10$ fee Sprint is still alot cheaper than Ol' Wallet Raper Verizon.....
Google "Sprint upping fees" You will see it's a $20 fee for all 3G.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
googled it and it is a 10$ fee..........it a 10$ fee per smartphone,so if you have the 129 everything data family plan then it is going up 20$ if you have the 69.99 plan and have a smartphone it is going up to 79.99. it is pretty simple to understand.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
googled it and it is a 10$ fee..........it a 10$ fee per smartphone,so if you have the 129 everything data family plan then it is going up 20$ if you have the 69.99 plan and have a smartphone it is going up to 79.99. it is pretty simple to understand.
And if you have the $59.99 everything plus data plan, it goes up to $69.99, and if you have the 109.99 everything plus data family plan, it goes up to 129.99.

$69.99 for 500 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile (unmatched by any provider at this point) and unlimited nights starting at 7pm is hard to beat.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
I still think the deal that NJBest reference in post #2 is the best thing going right, but good luck with T-Mobile.
I wish I could update the post to include the following changes:

- EPRP plan no longer qualifies for yearly upgrade on it's own (unless you've been a Sprint member for 10+ years)

- Add $10 to the price if you get a smartphone.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wish I could update the post to include the following changes:

- EPRP plan no longer qualifies for yearly upgrade on it's own (unless you've been a Sprint member for 10+ years)

- Add $10 to the price if you get a smartphone.
Well, NJBest, I don't have to worry about all of the smarphone nonsense anymore. After some serious thinking and quick anaylsis of my budget, I made the switch to T-Mobile and instead of getting a smartphone or even a regular phone (i.e. one with a contract/plan), I got a simple, cheap no-contract phone today; one that will only cost me around $35 per month after taxes and surcharges. It is a 500 minute per month phone with nothing else, not even texting.

Thanks to you and everyone on here that provided info. and advice, as it was greatly appreciated! In the end, I decided that I was getting only what I could really afford. Unlike most yuppies and other people in my age group (I' am in my mid 20's and college student) I don't have to have the "latest and greatest thing," whether it be some high tech gismo (like a smartphone), gadget or anything else.

I could care less about all of the extra crap that a smartphone has. All I care about is making and placing calls. That's it. Call me " old fashioned," or whatever, I don't care. I buy things because I LIKE THEM and they are affordable, not because society or anyone in it tells me to like them. Oh, this last part is not directed at you NJBest! I know it may sound like it, but it's not. It's directed towards society, i.e. the one that likes to tell us what we want! lol.

Last edited by Newbe10; 01-22-2011 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones