U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,948,737 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in an android powered phone. I still have about a year left on my contract with verizon, so going through them isn't a reasonable option. I've been watching craigslist for a phone and I have seen a few selling from $80 and up.

Do you think the used android phones will drop severely in price in a few weeks when many people move over to the iphone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM

11,858 posts, read 13,998,423 times
No, I don't.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,180,177 times
Its very possible if alot shift to that Iphone as we have seen in the past when this happens.See the numbers sold by Verizon its likely that more androids will be on the market which always efects such resale prices.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,948,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No, I don't.
Care to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its very possible if alot shift to that Iphone as we have seen in the past when this happens.See the numbers sold by Verizon its likely that more androids will be on the market which always effects such resale prices.
I think so too. Android seems like a strong system, but I think there is a huge market of people with them who will switch to iphones. I have heard many people go to great lengths to defend iphone and it's more "trendy" so to speak. I just wonder if there are a lot of people that will sell their androids privately and upgrade...

Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,429,476 times
Go visit a Verizon store because you may be eligible for an upgrade already. My contract wasn't supposed to end until October, but the website said I could upgrade at the end of April. Last week I went to the store for another reason, and it turned out I was eligible for an early upgrade. So I got an LG Vortex. I had no idea until I stopped by the store.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,509,712 times
<opinion>The only thing the iPhone has on the android platform is the overwhelming number of apps available.</opinion> That's not to say that the android market is lacking in apps - it's not - but iPhone is the preferred platform for a lot of developers, and usually the first to be supported by big companies such as banks.

That said, I wouldn't give up my Evo for an iPhone if you gave me one for free and paid for a year of service.

It won't be long before Apple loses the smartphone market to the android platform. After all these years, they're still playing the same game that cost them the PC market - keeping their platform proprietary. They're doing pretty well now, but it's only a matter of time before android takes over. Google is too smart for Apple to beat in the long run, plus android has the advantage of not being locked into one manufacturer. Apple will lose.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Care to elaborate?
There may be a handful more used Android phones 'on the market' but I don't think this will drive the price of a used model down any lower then it is right now.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM

27,187 posts, read 64,474,144 times
Iphone: Lighter and smaller. More Apps. Possibly more durable. No keyborad, shorter battery life. I certianly would not use one if it meant using AT & T. Comparing them and using my son's Iphone for a bit, I did nto find either the Iphone or the Droid better. They are just a little bit different (when comparing the Droid X not much different).

Droid: Droid 1 and 2 break or fritz out constantly. Droid 2 has a nice keyboard. Droid 1 keyboard is useless. Droids are big heavy bulky things compared to Iphone. I have never learned of an app for Iphone that appealed to me but was not available for the Droid. Droid X has no keyboard so it is thinner and lighter. It has a huge screen and a nice sized on screen keyboard. It sucks batteries down like an Iphone. It does not seem to break or fritz out as often as the Droid 1 and 2. Droid X is more like an Iphone, but I like having the keyboard. However having to replace my Droid on an average of once a month gets old. It takes a couple of hours to get everything set up and installed again each time. Definitely a quality problem at Motorola.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM

I thought we told you in that other thread, most of us with Droid 1's have not experienced anything like you have with the broken Droid's.

Droid 1 Keyboard is just fine, thanks.

Also the Droid Incredible is one of the better ones and is smaller and lighter then the iPhone.

Also a bit tired of the "iPhone has more apps" comments. I mean, yea it's true and this really isn't directed at you ColdJensen... you were just stating a fact.
But when these Aple fanboi's get all "we have more apps so it is better"....
spare me. There are so many on the Droid Market it's not like we are missing anything because we ONLY have 50,000 instead of 80,000.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM

27,187 posts, read 64,474,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I thought we told you in that other thread, most of us with Droid 1's have not experienced anything like you have with the broken Droid's.

Droid 1 Keyboard is just fine, thanks.

spare me. There are so many on the Droid Market it's not like we are missing anything because we ONLY have 50,000 instead of 80,000.

Some people I mentioned this to have had similar probalems but not as extensive. I am not alone.

Try a Droid 2 keyboard and you will realize how awful the Droid 1 keyboard really is. Do yu ever use it? I did nto use the Droid 1 keyborad at all becuase I would always end up poking more than one key at a time. Maybe I just have big fingers. However the Keyopard on the 2 is actaully usable and faster than using the on screen keypad.

That is why I said that I never learned of any Iphone app that appealed to me that was not avialable for the Droid. Yes, maybe we cannot get the cieling tile calculator, or the app that estimates the number of teeth in a pikes mouth based on its size, perhaps the Droid fart simulator is not quite as good as the Iphone one, but anything useful is avialable for both systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones