U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,447,418 times
Default Privacy Issues with Cell Phones - TMI - Be Careful Where You Post Pictures! VIDEO LINK!

My Mom sent this to me. No one would ever think that this was possible. I for one had no clue.

GPS in cameras and phones creates privacy issue | Video | 7online.com

This is good for ANYONE to watch, but I'm definitely sending it to my kids. It's a bit scarey!

Not sure if anyone else has posted this before - but it doesn't hurt to repeat the information if so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,924,835 times
You can turn off GPS tagging within the camera options on most (probably all) phones and if the pictures have already been taken then you can scrub the meta-data from them using photo software like paint shop, jasc and some other free programs.

Some file upload sites like photobucket discard most of the metadata when it is uploaded by default.

Also, most power users don't leave their gps running all the time because it unnecessarily drains the phones battery. This means that you will not have accurate GPS coordinates attached to any photos.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,467,067 times
Wow. Kind of creepy. I knew my phone saved the locations, because it shows the locations on a map in my camera. I did ot know that those locations were saved into the picture; but i guess it makes sense.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,447,418 times
Here's another one someone showed me yesterday after seeing the one above.

Dangerous Connections: Protect Yourself While You're Online | WSPA

Yep, it's scary!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM

19,075 posts, read 21,807,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Here's another one someone showed me yesterday after seeing the one above.

Dangerous Connections: Protect Yourself While You're Online | WSPA

Yep, it's scary!
personalVPN SSL for Windows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read the comments below the article. Very informative

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...04pogue-email/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones