Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
"In Plano Texas AT&T demonstrated their super-fast LTE network. In the demonstration they were seeing download speeds of nearly 29 Mbps and upload speeds of 10.4 Mbps"
AT&T had zero users on the network, and all they could manage was 29m?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
I sure did. Did you? Like I said, it doesn't mention how widespread the increased backhaul is. Guess it must be pretty bad then.
It shows the markets that currently has HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul available.

Thus, you obviously didnt look.

Quote:
I already have. Repeatedly. Verizon gives me better speeds throughout the state.

AT&T can promise me 7.2 megs in center city Philly (assuming there aren't too many people using their phones - lol). That's great, but what about I-81 between Harrisburg and Hazleton? What about rural Pennsylvania? What about when I get 15 miles outside of Harrisburg? No, no, and no.

I'll take Verizon's "slow" 2-3m over AT&T's "faster" 20k-50k (if I even get signal) any day.
"To this end, your coverage and network performance will vary greatly from area to area, and in fact, from user to user."

^ It's what you said.

What you experience with your devices and networks doesn't translate into what the nation experiences.

So you're saying the best network quality gives better speeds.
If that's the case, AT&T and T-Mobile has the better speeds nationwide.

Quote:
AT&T had zero users on the network, and all they could manage was 29m?
The test scenario, performed on a trial network, represented an attempt to model "real world situations".

Carrier aggregation was not used.

In June, AT&T will announce anticipated speeds on AT&T's production network.

Who knows what they'll be.

(maybe 6-8 Mbps on the download side on average)

Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
It shows the markets that currently has HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul available.
Sorry ace, but you're just wrong. AT&T seems to think they will have "up to" about 165 million people covered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul by the end of this year. See the previously-linked article. That puts T-Mobile, with 200+ million, on top.

Quote:
What you experience with your devices and networks doesn't translate into what the nation experiences.
You keep saying that, but you can't quote a single post where I said otherwise. Although, given that more people in the US choose CDMA over GSM, maybe it DOES translate into what the nation experiences!

Quote:
So you're saying the best network quality gives better speeds.
Nope. I said "Verizon has better service, better coverage, and better speed." You keep conveniently mis-quoting me. Lookie here:

Quote:
I typically get 2-3 megs on Verizon.

Neither (WiFi nor AT&T) gives me reliable coverage across the state.

So what happens in-between those areas? You know, like when I'm on the train between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh? Or when I have to pull over along I-81 to set up a VPN and remote into a server? Or when I'm doing urbex through the back mountains of Pennsylvania and feel like uploading some photos to Facebook?

On AT&T, I fall back to GPRS and get to upload my photos at around 50k.

On Verizon, I have EVDO Rev A. I get to upload them around 1m - 3m. Maybe 500k at the worst, if I'm truly in the middle of nowhere.

Bingo. And now you know why I use Verizon -- it works. Can't say the same for my AT&T aircard.
Tell us again what part of that isn't talking about my own personal experiences.

Last edited by DowntownHarrisburg; 05-27-2011 at 11:23 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
If that's the case, AT&T and T-Mobile has the better speeds nationwide.
No they don't. I get 17m on Verizon's LTE. Can't say the same for AT&T or T-Mobile.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Quote:
Sorry ace, but you're just wrong. AT&T seems to think they will have "up to" about 165 million people covered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul by the end of this year. See the previously-linked article. That puts T-Mobile, with 200+ million, on top.
HSPA+ is the technology both AT&T and T-Mobile are marketing as 4G

AT&T has 250 million people covered by HSPA+

AT&T will have 165 million people covered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul.

With enhanced backhaul or not, it is still HSPA+ coverage. Heretofore, AT&T covers more people with HSPA+ technology.

Quote:
You keep saying that, but you can't quote a single post where I said otherwise. Although, given that more people in the US choose CDMA over GSM, maybe it DOES translate into what the nation experiences!
Granted, GSM dominates with 80% of the global market share.

Maybe this is why Verizon is building a GSM standard network.

And why AT&T has the Best Mobile Coverage in the World

* AT&T customers can use both voice and data at the same time on mobile broadband – both in the United States and internationally.

* AT&T customers can make and receive calls in more than 220 countries and send e-mail and browse the Internet in more than 200 countries, including more than 130 countries with 3G coverage.

http://www.examiner.com/web-2-0-in-dallas/at-t-has-best-mobile-coverage-the-world-according-to-business-traveler

Quote:
Nope. I said "Verizon has better service, better coverage, and better speed." You keep conveniently mis-quoting me. Lookie here:
Tell us again what part of that isn't talking about my own personal experiences.
Of course, this has to be personal experiences.

I kept quoting you to remind you that your opinions stem from your own personal experiences, and does not reflect what the nation experiences.

"Even good opinions are worth very little unless we hold them in the broad, intelligent, and spacious way." - John Morley

Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
HSPA+ is the technology both AT&T and T-Mobile are marketing as 4G

AT&T has 250 million people covered by HSPA+

AT&T will have 165 million people covered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul.

With enhanced backhaul or not, it is still HSPA+ coverage. Heretofore, AT&T covers more people with HSPA+ technology.

Granted, GSM dominates with 80% of the global market share.

Maybe this is why Verizon is building a GSM standard network.

And why AT&T has the Best Mobile Coverage in the World

* AT&T customers can use both voice and data at the same time on mobile broadband – both in the United States and internationally.

* AT&T customers can make and receive calls in more than 220 countries and send e-mail and browse the Internet in more than 200 countries, including more than 130 countries with 3G coverage.

http://www.examiner.com/web-2-0-in-dallas/at-t-has-best-mobile-coverage-the-world-according-to-business-traveler

Of course, this has to be personal experiences.

I kept quoting you to remind you that your opinions stem from your own personal experiences, and does not reflect what the nation experiences.

"Even good opinions are worth very little unless we hold them in the broad, intelligent, and spacious way." - John Morley
Stephen, I love how you use the AT&T has the best covverage in the world phrase because you know Verizon isn't anywhere else; but it is. Vodaphone and Verizon Wireless are the same company so you might want to check your figures again.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
According to AT&T, AT&T's press releases, and AT&T's advertising, 4G requires HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. That press release states that "up to two-thirds" of AT&T's 250 million customers will have enhanced backhaul by the end of 2011. That's roughly 165 million customers by the end of this year.

T-Mobile currently has 200 million customers covered at their maximum HSPA+ speed.

Even AT&T doesn't claim they've got the largest 4g network anymore.

You've backed yourself into a corner on this one. Just admit your fanboyism and that you were wrong, and we'll stop beating you over the head with this.

Quote:
You keep dodging the issue. Quote a single post where I said otherwise. Though to be honest, more people here in the US choose CDMA over GSM. I wonder why that is? Could it be that most US consumers share my experience?

Last edited by DowntownHarrisburg; 05-28-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Stephen, I love how you use the AT&T has the best covverage in the world phrase because you know Verizon isn't anywhere else; but it is. Vodaphone and Verizon Wireless are the same company so you might want to check your figures again.
It seems like international coverage really doesn't matter to most US consumers, as evidenced by the 11% gap between CDMA and GSM subscribers here. Ditto on "simultaneous voice and data".

It's almost as if superior domestic coverage is more important, or something.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:58 AM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
It seems like international coverage really doesn't matter to most US consumers, as evidenced by the 11% gap between CDMA and GSM subscribers here. Ditto on "simultaneous voice and data".
With SVDO CDMA devices can do simultaneous voice and data. The HTC Thunderbolt has this capability enabled. That's one taking point that should disappear going forward.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
With SVDO CDMA devices can do simultaneous voice and data. The HTC Thunderbolt has this capability enabled. That's one taking point that should disappear going forward.
Good point. Personally, I don't really find it to be that big of a deal. I don't think I've actually even made use of that feature yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones